Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times

Advertisements

I don't know what happens in a relationship that gets "Watered down." Maybe The priorities shift out of neccessity, Before you know it the foundation of the Marriage or relationship is the kids, the House, the job, the social circle, and all those things you didn't have when you met . One thing for sure, no one wants to be the only one in the relationship with sole responsibility of keeping alive the memory of how things used to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:40 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Not me, but I do know of a few who are married and indeed lonely....they wish they were single again.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:14 AM

152 posts, read 627,365 times
I have two sets of married friends that have the same approach to their marriage and it appears to work for them. Both have been married over 10 years and both have two young children (under 10).
Once a year the couple takes separate vacations. In each family the wife and kids go somewhere (mostly another relatives house) without the hubby for 2-3 weeks, who can have his own vacation somewhere if he wants or just the house all to himself. Once one of the wives went with the kids for the entire summer (grandparents in a diffent country).

The point of this story is that both couples are always telling me how the time apart strengthens their marriage. Now certainly its not always possible to go for such long periods if it is a 2 working parent household, but you get the idea. Sometimes I imagine the routine IS boring. Like having hobbies, the time away gives the kids, the parents things to share that isn't the mundane. Unlike a hobby, the physical separation ehances the reunion and the relationship.

Perhaps a little get away to a friends or relatives might be what you need. Clear your head, gain perspective. Then see what happens when you get back, the answer might not be what you like but at least it should be clearer.

I'm not married....so my 2 cents.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:56 AM

525 posts, read 1,851,914 times
I was in a very lonely marriage. I tried to save the marriage, but he broke our vows. I am now free which at first was very sad and hurtful. However, as time goes by, I feel this was the best thing to happen to me.

I now have a second chance to get it right and I am begining to enjoy my freedom!!! I AM FREEE

Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
Trust me I tryed some of these things over the years! But to be honest with you I just have up on trying sad huh? I will try but can not make any promises on anything. Thanks for the advice!!!!!
Be the better person in the relationship.

Thanks for trying. That's all we can do.

I too am in a very trying marriage and it's been rough. You just have to suck it up and be the better person.

Sometimes I feel like giving up and leaving but I have my boy to worry about. He would be in her care all the time. At least with me being around I have some say.

Try to be happy.

He will come around. It may take some time but he will.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I don't know what happens in a relationship that gets "Watered down." Maybe The priorities shift out of neccessity, Before you know it the foundation of the Marriage or relationship is the kids, the House, the job, the social circle, and all those things you didn't have when you met . One thing for sure, no one wants to be the only one in the relationship with sole responsibility of keeping alive the memory of how things used to be
Kinda like the two of you sitting there with your arms folded looking at the fire die down.

You both look at one another and say, "I'm not putting more wood on it."

Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I was in a very lonely marriage. I tried to save the marriage, but he broke our vows. I am now free which at first was very sad and hurtful. However, as time goes by, I feel this was the best thing to happen to me.

I now have a second chance to get it right and I am begining to enjoy my freedom!!! I AM FREEE
Awww.

Sorry about him breaking your vows.

You find something in life you enjoy and do it!!! I'm happy for you.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My last relationship was like that. We were together 7 years. No one was mean or inattentive. But there was such a divide in understanding and priorities, I felt like I was facing all my challenges by myself. I vowed I was never going to get into a situation like that again.
Glad you figured out that before you married her.

Nothing worse than being with a selfish person who can't put their own priorities aside to listen and support your problems.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 AM

947 posts, read 2,399,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Be the better person in the relationship.

Thanks for trying. That's all we can do.

I too am in a very trying marriage and it's been rough. You just have to suck it up and be the better person.

Sometimes I feel like giving up and leaving but I have my boy to worry about. He would be in her care all the time. At least with me being around I have some say.

Try to be happy.

He will come around. It may take some time but he will.
Ok I know this will take some time to do but this morning he really got me! All five kids were up and I was busy getting 2 kids ready for school and my twins(15 months) keep wanting me to hold them and everything running around like I am crazy! He fixes himself and the kids breakfast and did not even bother cooking me anything. Knowing I was so busy I did not have time to do it right then! I was so mad!! See me I do not do stuff like that. When I cook I cook for all! I wonder sometimes if things would be better if we took a break! It is like I am not even there.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
Ok I know this will take some time to do but this morning he really got me! All five kids were up and I was busy getting 2 kids ready for school and my twins(15 months) keep wanting me to hold them and everything running around like I am crazy! He fixes himself and the kids breakfast and did not even bother cooking me anything. Knowing I was so busy I did not have time to do it right then! I was so mad!! See me I do not do stuff like that. When I cook I cook for all! I wonder sometimes if things would be better if we took a break! It is like I am not even there.
I'm sorry.

I'm sure he didn't mean it that way. I say that because I have done that but only because she eats weird stuff sometimes. Like she will eat leftovers from the dinner before. She won't want the eggs and stuff I cook. When I do make an extra egg it will still be in the pan and I throw it away. That's a tough one.

He should have asked if you wanted anything. However, he was helping. That had to be worth something. Right? Did you thank him for feeding the kids?

Don't give up. He was doing something. 5 kids is tough.

Hope it gets better for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships