Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 PM

670 posts, read 2,114,412 times

Advertisements

Was in Juvenile Court today and mother tells judge why she thinks her 15 yr old son should go home (rather than stay in Juv. Hall) that he's really a good kid, but then she openly states that her husband, the stepfather, has never accepted her son and doesn't want him to come home or be around. That he's been that way since she started dating him.

I wanted to ask her, "And why did you marry this guy? And why are you still going home to this guy?" She has three sons and stated that her husband wants everything his way to the point that he won't even let one of her sons eat with them at the kitchen table for dinner.

This is not the first time this situation has come up. Often, kids end up in suitable placement simply because a stepparent decides they don't want them at home anymore, and the biological parent goes along with this. I can understand it when a kid has some major problems, but I've seen this with kids who are just there for a petty theft (stole gum from Walmart kind of thing).

So why, I ask, do people end up marrying (or even dating) someone that can't accept their children into their lives? Wouldn't that be a dealbreaker for just about any parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
It would be a deal breaker for me.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Me too. Definitely.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:10 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
Was in Juvenile Court today and mother tells judge why she thinks her 15 yr old son should go home (rather than stay in Juv. Hall) that he's really a good kid, but then she openly states that her husband, the stepfather, has never accepted her son and doesn't want him to come home or be around. That he's been that way since she started dating him.

I wanted to ask her, "And why did you marry this guy? And why are you still going home to this guy?" She has three sons and stated that her husband wants everything his way to the point that he won't even let one of her sons eat with them at the kitchen table for dinner.

This is not the first time this situation has come up. Often, kids end up in suitable placement simply because a stepparent decides they don't want them at home anymore, and the biological parent goes along with this. I can understand it when a kid has some major problems, but I've seen this with kids who are just there for a petty theft (stole gum from Walmart kind of thing).

So why, I ask, do people end up marrying (or even dating) someone that can't accept their children into their lives? Wouldn't that be a dealbreaker for just about any parent?
Good question. But I can't even understand it when the kid has major problems b'c they probably (not always but mostly) have major problems due to the way they're treated--either by the parent or step parent or b'c the real parent allows them to be treated that way. It's nothing short of abuse and the judge should have recognized that and called attention to it. I could never allow anyone to come before my kids.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 PM

I don't understand it at all. I wasn't lucky enough to have kids, but when I date someone with kids, as far as I'm concerned, those kids always should come first. A parent and their kids are already a family; anyone they invite to join the family should be ready to take on that responsibility.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Good question. But I can't even understand it when the kid has major problems b'c they probably (not always but mostly) have major problems due to the way they're treated--either by the parent or step parent or b'c the real parent allows them to be treated that way. It's nothing short of abuse and the judge should have recognized that and called attention to it. I could never allow anyone to come before my kids.
I hear you. The major problems I was thinking of are sometimes mental illness type problems that can lead to violence in the home instigated by the child or just dangerous behavior that can threaten other family members.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Quote:
I hear you. The major problems I was thinking of are sometimes mental illness type problems that can lead to violence in the home instigated by the child or just dangerous behavior that can threaten other family members.
That's what I was talking about. Their minds are still being shaped and formed and influenced by, largely, the parents. They can be shaped into "little monsters" that turn into big monsters just as they can be shaped into successful, happy people.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,538 times
I'm completely baffled by this. I adored my ex-fiance's kids. They were 14 and 11 when their father left me. They had obviously been raised very well by his ex-wife, they were respectful, straight A students and just all around great kids. My ex left me and married someone who (from what I understand) doesn't like kids very much and hasn't spent any time really getting to know them. He and his new wife have taken vacations without the kids even being there, and it's not like he has a lot of extra time to see them (he's in the Army)

My ex left his first wife for a woman who absolutely hated his kids. She even tore up a photo of the kids in front of my ex because she was jealous of them or something. When my ex broke up with me, he said that he had never really gotten over this girlfriend who supposedly broke his heart. WTF???

I just couldn't understand why my ex chose to be with two different women who didn't like his children and yet he dumped me, who liked the kids and they liked me, not to mention that I loved my ex-fiance and would have done whatever it takes to make us a "family". I didn't want to replace their Mom, just be a really good step-mom.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:23 PM

267 posts, read 898,091 times
I'm gonna be the voice against the crowd on this one. Some kids have real problems. Maybe the lady's husband is more into the idea of protecting her, and can see the picture more clearly.

Yes, it would be a horrible thing to marry someone who doesn't like your child. But, if the kid has serious issues, and he's sitting in juvenile court (for not the first time) it's quite possible that step-dad is just approaching the issue without the rose colored glasses, and realizes that he needs more structure than mom and stepdad can provide. Mom could easily be so worn out with dealing with years of problems that she "can't see the forest for the trees" kind of deal. Its possible.

Maybe she married the man because she loved him, and he doesn't like the way her son turned out. Maybe SHE doesn't like the way her son turned out - but she's his mom, and she has to love him unconditionally. Maybe, she doesn't know the difference between unconditional love, and enabling - that's enough to drive a mighty big wedge between parents - biological, step, or any other kind.

I have a whole lot of examples running through my mind, but I'll keep them to myself. Troubled kids are hard to deal with. Its hard not to blame yourself, when there's nothing you can do, and it's also hard TO blame yourself, when you've tried everything you can think of. Its hard to cry yourself to sleep at night playing the what if game, over every choice you've made in their life, and if things could have been different. You can't force a child to behave, you can't force them to care, you can't force them to grow up and look at the real world - all you can do is hope and pray that with the reins pulled in tight enough - they survive until adulthood, and eventually the light bulb clicks, and they start to get it, and grow up. There is no easy answer.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
A parent and their kids are already a family; anyone they invite to join the family should be ready to take on that responsibility.
It's always amazed me that in English (or at least here; not sure how it is in the other English-speaking countries) a couple is called "a married couple" and then when they have children they become "a family." To me the primary relationship in any working marriage is between the husband and the wife regardless of whether all the kids are their own or not. Kids are not supposed to run households; adults are. Kids are supposed to have limits; adults are to set them. Children come into your life, spend some time with you, and then go on their own. The "family" should be the long-lasting relationship between the husband and the wife and the agreement between them. They have to represent an united front; not biological parents siding with their children and giving in to all their unreasonable demands while "accepting" somebody to "join" their already-existing "family" as an unimportant appendix to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships