Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
But I'm NOT offended!!!! Jeeeez. Maybe this is an issue of semantics here. I dislike your condescending attitude, and believe it will affect you in the future, adversly. Offended is hardly the word!! I would be lying if I was to say I am that "offended" by some faceless super-power-of-the-board whining about people inability to do this that or the other.

Here are those immortal words you want to hear:

"Any reasoning for Conrad's existance, whatever it is."

I DISAGREE
Now, let me get this straight. Reading the indignant vowels of your original post on this thread, I could practically hear the spluttering as you banged out the polemic on your keyboard. Yet you're not offended? My word, if that's not being offended, I would really hate to see what offended constituted in your book. If you get this heated up by a nameless person on a message board, I'd really hate to be the waitress who gets your order wrong in a restaurant. The police would need her dental records to identify the body.

Oh, and on to the subject of condescension. You just wrote me a DM talking about how God is going to judge me, and you're accusing me of condescension? I mean, maybe you and the Divine play lawn bowls every Saturday, but I'm fairly certain speaking on His behalf is pretty indicative of a really inflated ego. I mean, I don't hand out God's judgment on others. How did you manage to land the franchise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:39 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,021,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Now, let me get this straight. Reading the indignant vowels of your original post on this thread, I could practically hear the spluttering as you banged out the polemic on your keyboard. Yet you're not offended? My word, if that's not being offended, I would really hate to see what offended constituted in your book. If you get this heated up by a nameless person on a message board, I'd really hate to be the waitress who gets your order wrong in a restaurant. The police would need her dental records to identify the body.

Oh, and on to the subject of condescension. You just wrote me a DM talking about how God is going to judge me, and you're accusing me of condescension? I mean, maybe you and the Divine play lawn bowls every Saturday, but I'm fairly certain speaking on His behalf is pretty indicative of a really inflated ego. I mean, I don't hand out God's judgment on others. How did you manage to land the franchise?
I've no reason to offer any defense to you to prove how I act in face to face situations. That is for me to know, and you to wonder. Cling to those flimsy judgements and enjoy it while it lasts.

PS. Once a waistress spilled a drink all over me in a restaurant and I didn't even flinch. Why chastise people who make mistakes, I realise we all do and need to learn from it, the point of my original message.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Seems reasonable but she's talking about you and you're talking about her. Is this a conversation or a Monty Python skit?

Well, NAR, my honored friend on the board, this bit of advice was to really get them to understand that it's not about them. If you begin a conversation babbling about your profession and hobbies, they'll stop listening about 20 seconds in.

This is the most ridiculous advice given and its given a lot. This is nearly always the problem. If they didn't have this problem, they wouldn't need the advice!

It's not ridiculous at all. If you're nervous when initiating a conversation, then they'll wonder what's wrong with you. One must be manifest calm, even if one doesn't feel that way on the inside.

Very dangerous for all but the alpha types. Almost anything you say can be taken two (or more) ways. The alpha types always receive the benefit of the doubt. As for the rest.............

True. But at the same time, if you're deadly serious, then who wants to be around you for more than a nanosecond. In short, lighten up. You're making a friend, not discussing nuclear disarmament.

Besides, they are really impressed with themselves too and you want a conservation. You don't want to start a fan club. However, be warned: such people are constantly being praised and if you don't, you will be considered weird, rude, not interested or worse.

However, things could be worse. Can you imagine spending your life massaging their ego?

Another good point. But you have to start somewhere. And, after twenty minutes, the other person shows no curiosity about you whatsoever, then you've learned everything about that person you need to know.
See?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
I've no reason to offer any defense to you to prove how I act in face to face situations. That is for me to know, and you to wonder. Cling to those flimsy judgements and enjoy it while it lasts.

PS. Once a waistress spilled a drink all over me in a restaurant and I didn't even flinch. Why chastise people who make mistakes, I realise we all do and need to learn from it, the point of my original message.
Hahaha. So you can make all kinds of judgments on what people write in their posts, but nobody can make a judgement based on the violence of the language in your own? Gotcha.

And bravo for not striking the waitress in the restaurant. I'm sure that she is grateful for your restraint to this very day.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:46 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,859,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanosphere View Post
it just seems like most young women today are so guarded and untrusting of strange men that it's hard to start a conversation and meet new girls. On the rare occasion I can bring myself to chat one up, I feel myself panicking and batting around in the dark on the inside, and I'll stutter on a word or 2 or blurt out and "awkward" phrase or sentence.
Its much easier when you don't care. Since I've got to that point in my life, this is no longer a problem.

When you're a young guy and not part of the best looking 20%, many women can be down right nasty, if you approach them. I got the feeling that they were desperate to keep all their time available for finding Mr. Right and just being near, you might block their view.

Once they snag these guys and have a few years under their belt, they are desperate for some conservation - after checking to ensure they aren't being observed. Usually too late to do either of you any good, however.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,021,747 times
Quote:
Hahaha.
Strange sense of humour you yanks have, I must say.

Quote:

So you can make all kinds of judgments on what people write in their posts,
So do you, even if via direct message

Quote:

but nobody can make a judgement based on the violence of the language in your own? Gotcha.
Nah you haven't "got" anybody. See a shrink. Judge away, for all I could care. Makes no difference to the truth.

Quote:
And bravo for not striking the waitress in the restaurant. I'm sure that she is grateful for your restraint to this very day.
Thanks

Old 05-14-2009, 12:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
That's true. Even if you are attractive and have a lot, and you are not their type they could get nasty. It's called selfishness and low self worth. I'm not mean to anybody that isn't my type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Its much easier when you don't care. Since I've got to that point in my life, this is no longer a problem.

When you're a young guy and not part of the best looking 20%, many women can be down right nasty, if you approach them. I got the feeling that they were desperate to keep all their time available for finding Mr. Right and just being near, you might block their view.

Once they snag these guys and have a few years under their belt, they are desperate for some conservation - after checking to ensure they aren't being observed. Usually too late to do either of you any good, however.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:58 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,859,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck
Seems reasonable but she's talking about you and you're talking about her. Is this a conversation or a Monty Python skit?

Well, NAR, my honored friend on the board, this bit of advice was to really get them to understand that it's not about them. If you begin a conversation babbling about your profession and hobbies, they'll stop listening about 20 seconds in.
I realized this but say it don't imply it.

Quote:
This is the most ridiculous advice given and its given a lot. This is nearly always the problem. If they didn't have this problem, they wouldn't need the advice!

It's not ridiculous at all. If you're nervous when initiating a conversation, then they'll wonder what's wrong with you. One must be manifest calm, even if one doesn't feel that way on the inside.
Don't tell people to not be nervous. Tell them to not give a damn. Pretend they are talking to married women or something.

Quote:
True. But at the same time, if you're deadly serious, then who wants to be around you for more than a nanosecond. In short, lighten up. You're making a friend, not discussing nuclear disarmament.
I like being amusing and when it backfires, its for the best. I mean who wants to go through life walking on egg shells? This may be the main reason I was dumped last summer and I have yet to meet a male friend who doesn't think I was lucky I made this "faux pax" early on!

Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,501 times
Hey guys, wrap this up and go to the O Poll and give me some advise!

Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Why can't people put a sock in it?

Finally, Tony has had enough. He turns around and says, "I'm sorry, but you're being very rude. This is a conversation." Of course, this met with an affronted look from the OP, but at best they didn't shut up.

Tony's C/D logout velocity - 5m/nanosecond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships