Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Why can't people put a sock in it?

Finally, Tony has had enough. He turns around and says, "I'm sorry, but you're being very rude. This is a conversation." Of course, this met with an affronted look from the OP, but at best they didn't shut up.

Tony's C/D logout velocity - 5m/nanosecond
Yes. But it didn't take place in church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:29 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
But it's pretty apparent that any number of people who inhabit this forum seem to have a tough time even saying "Good morning" to the cashier at McDonalds. How on earth does one get to that point in life?
That's shyness....it's a social anxiety and it's tied up with self-worth.
It amuses me when someone who clearly has always been outgoing gives advice such as: "be relaxed"; ah yes, if it was that simple. If you can't empathize with people, then you're not going to be helpful, just condescending. While everyone else works on their conversation skills, maybe you should work on your compassion.

-----------

Best advice I've ever been given for shyness:
-Become so absorbed in the other person that you lose yourself. Then you will not be so self-conscious and can come off more naturally. Even when you are talking, keep your focus on them (their appearance & reactions).
-Replace negative thoughts with positive ones. Example: If you think "I'm stupid and unlikeable and will make a fool of myself if I talk to that person", then immediately say to yourself "No, I have a lot to offer as a friend, I'm a good listener, and I am knowledgeable on a lot of subjects". If you counter every bad thought with a good one, then your confidence in yourself will grow, and again, the fear will subside a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Tell me cpg35223 do you really care about other people's ability to hold a conversation or do you just find the issue that inconveniencing so as to need to fulfill your ego by telling us all what we should be doing? Seriously.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
That's shyness....it's a social anxiety and it's tied up with self-worth.
It amuses me when someone who clearly has always been outgoing gives advice such as: "be relaxed"; ah yes, if it was that simple. If you can't empathize with people, then you're not going to be helpful, just condescending. While everyone else works on their conversation skills, maybe you should work on your compassion.

-----------

Best advice I've ever been given for shyness:
-Become so absorbed in the other person that you lose yourself. Then you will not be so self-conscious and can come off more naturally. Even when you are talking, keep your focus on them (their appearance & reactions).
-Replace negative thoughts with positive ones. Example: If you think "I'm stupid and unlikeable and will make a fool of myself if I talk to that person", then immediately say to yourself "No, I have a lot to offer as a friend, I'm a good listener, and I am knowledgeable on a lot of subjects". If you counter every bad thought with a good one, then your confidence in yourself will grow, and again, the fear will subside a bit.

Yes, but this way, you get to benefit from my wisdom. And besides, more to the point, this post is written in response to the people on this board who have looked for advice on how to actually have a conversation with others. So, with missionary zeal, I have descended from on high trailing clouds of glory, all in the interest of getting these poor guys dates on Saturday night. Don't you see?

Old 05-14-2009, 03:05 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
This could make some amusing reading.

It Takes a Village Idiot: The Jerks of Online Forums - PC World (http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,163734/printable.html - broken link)

Old 05-14-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
This could make some amusing reading.

It Takes a Village Idiot: The Jerks of Online Forums - PC World (http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,163734/printable.html - broken link)

Well, hell, that's all of us. Hahahahal

Old 05-14-2009, 03:32 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,610,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
What would it mean if like, say, I went up to like talk to this hot guy, but I had several hair bands around my wrists? Would he think I was a punk? How long would be too long for him to stare at these hair bands?
It depends, what are those hair bands made out of? Crocodile? Alligator?

Old 05-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
It depends, what are those hair bands made out of? Crocodile? Alligator?
And if they're made of Alligator, what do I tell her about them? And if she pauses in conversation to sweep the hair out of her eyes, what does it mean? Does it mean I'm going to get lucky?

Old 05-14-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Hey guys, wrap this up and go to the O Poll and give me some advise!
You don't like the chronicles of Dick and Conrad? Sounds like a good TV pilot.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:39 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Yes, but this way, you get to benefit from my wisdom. And besides, more to the point, this post is written in response to the people on this board who have looked for advice on how to actually have a conversation with others. So, with missionary zeal, I have descended from on high trailing clouds of glory, all in the interest of getting these poor guys dates on Saturday night. Don't you see?
Quote:
Well, hell, that's all of us. Hahahahal
LOL, go my snake charming skills!!

Having been a message board freak for nearly 15 years now, I can say there's an aspect of every one of those jerks in my internet profile, I have been every one of those at some point in time and still can be pretty much a mix or a variant of that mix.

Having said that, can I say you're number 4, without you going IC-ballistic?

Old 05-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
And if they're made of Alligator, what do I tell her about them? And if she pauses in conversation to sweep the hair out of her eyes, what does it mean? Does it mean I'm going to get lucky?
Then your in luck, you whip out your Interior Crocodile Alligator LP and impress her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships