Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times

Advertisements

It totally depends. I cannot date a man who isn't interested in the world around him and outside of our little place in it, who doesn't read widely and can't discuss issues or topics intelligently, or who doesn't have wide-ranging interests. Whether that comes with a degree or not doesn't matter to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
oh really? i am not shallow in terms of only having mundane tastes and attitudes. most women in the country only care about TV, celebrities, fashion and other silliness.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:03 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
I would, but I don't think I could date someone who wasn't intelligent and educated (in some way ... ie well read, well travelled, skilled at their job, interesting and stimulating hobbies, etc.)

Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
But one does have to remember they only work 9 months a year.
That's hogwash, in Texas, anyway. When I was teaching, we reported through the first week of June and were back in mid-August. In between those times, we had to attend summer workshops and many of us elected to teach summer school.

Very few teachers pack up in June and do nothing careerwise until August. If they're not teaching, they're taking classes themselves or attending workshops for continuing ed. requirements. Plus, you must leave your summer phone number and address with the office so the principal can reach you if you're needed for anything. And they DO call and ask you to come in for various things.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
oh really? i am not shallow in terms of only having mundane tastes and attitudes. most women in the country only care about TV, celebrities, fashion and other silliness.
Yes, really. I speak for myself only and not for "most women in the country."

Old 07-31-2009, 09:11 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Yes, really. I speak for myself only and not for "most women in the country."
i'm simply stating fact. our popular culture is shallow, and this is a major negative of our society.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:17 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,898,363 times
Quote:
Not true. You just haven't given an honest effort to know what most women like it would seem.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:17 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,295,893 times
Quote:
how so? i'm more learned about things than most other people i know.
Funny, because for some strange reason, that's not the impression I'm getting from you. I'm also guessing that you don't know many people at all, based on the above.

A person who feels the need to brag about their intelligence on an internet forum isn't very intelligent at all.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:20 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
That's hogwash, in Texas, anyway. When I was teaching, we reported through the first week of June and were back in mid-August. In between those times, we had to attend summer workshops and many of us elected to teach summer school.

Very few teachers pack up in June and do nothing careerwise until August. If they're not teaching, they're taking classes themselves or attending workshops for continuing ed. requirements. Plus, you must leave your summer phone number and address with the office so the principal can reach you if you're needed for anything. And they DO call and ask you to come in for various things.
people who usually say what that poster said dont work in education. sure they can say they know some teachers, but they dont really know the set routine. i am "just a substitute teacher", but i do planning during my BREAKS!! my parents and aunt are teachers as well. teaching doesnt just end when the bell rings. you bring your work home with you if you dont want to stay at work later, you have parents calling you wanting to meet with you regularly, go to professional development meetings, have to regularly meet state regulations, attend extra courses regularly etc. my reason for why the burnout rate is so high is that it isnt the kind of job where you start at 9, get to enjoy your lunch break, and then leave at 5 leaving your career at your place of work.

there is such a lack of respect for educators in this country. i even had a friend once who said i was too smart to teach.... the guy was an idiot.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:30 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,791,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
A college education doesn't automatically denote intelligence. A lot of college-educated people are stupid. And a lot of intelligent people never went to college.

The two don't correlate.
Certainly college graduates may have many character flaws. But to graduate from college, you cannot be "stupid" in the strict sense of the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships