Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:55 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,044 times

Advertisements

I hear people talking or singing about being in love. I am pretty sure it's solely a biological reaction for procreation but some people insist there is more to it. Emotional or biological, it's an entirely foreign concept to me and would like an explanation.

I think I feel a twinge of something when I go to the folks house and I get to see the dog and how excited he is to see me. The way we look into each other's eyes right before he grabs one of his toys and runs outside just might be love. Also I was listening to David Bowie a few weeks ago and I had such an emotional reaction to a song I thought my heart might explode. Is that love?

What is love? What does love feel like?

Please discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:59 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Well, I can tell you it usually ends up with your heart feeling like it's been ripped out, stomped on, and replaced upside down. That's about all I know.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times

Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
I hear people talking or singing about being in love. I am pretty sure it's solely a biological reaction for procreation but some people insist there is more to it. Emotional or biological, it's an entirely foreign concept to me and would like an explanation.
I like what Frank Zappa had to say about this:

"I detest 'love lyrics'. I think one of the causes of the bad mental health in the United States is that people have been raised on 'love lyrics.'

You're a young kid and you hear all those 'love lyrics,' right? Your parents aren't telling the truth about love, and you can't really learn about it in school. You're getting the bulk of your 'behavior norms' mapped out for you in the lyrics to some dumb f***ing love song. It's a subconscious training that creates a desire for an imaginary situation which will never exist for you. People who buy into that mythology go through life feeling that they got cheated or something."

Old 08-04-2009, 02:42 PM

323 posts, read 806,727 times
Love is the most intense, incredible feeling I've ever experienced. It's the butterflies in my stomach everytime I look into his eyes and the complete and utter feeling of wholeness that I have when we are together.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I also don't think love is fleeting. I hear people so many times say they thought they were in love or they used to be in love. How do you fall out of love with someone you were truly in love with? I just don't think it happens. I'm not saying you have to be head over heels 10 years after a relationship ends, but there should still be something there, I think.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 PM

323 posts, read 806,727 times
Well spinx, I think that sometimes people mistake what they are feeling for love, so they say that they were in love or fell out of love or whatever. It's one of those things you don't know until you know, ya know lol?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsherwo View Post
Love is the most intense, incredible feeling I've ever experienced. It's the butterflies in my stomach everytime I look into his eyes and the complete and utter feeling of wholeness that I have when we are together.
It's official then, I love my mom's dog and David Bowie.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:06 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Well, I can tell you it usually ends up with your heart feeling like it's been ripped out, stomped on, and replaced upside down. That's about all I know.

Dang, do we know each other? You took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:15 PM

429 posts, read 1,148,405 times
I think love occurs when you want and are willing to work toward someone else's happiness. You feel joy when good things happen to them and sadness when they're in despair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships