Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,734,196 times

Advertisements

Pro-tip: If you let a woman feel empowered, she is more likely to act more feminine to you and do the things chauvinistic men compartmentalize in their miniscule minds about female roles. If you try to force traditional female roles on a woman, you'll not only get lashback but probably a stiletto heel shoved down your throat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I recall my sister in-law saying to my wife to be you are going to hypenate your name like mine? I got very angry at her and told her to bud out and get lost. She had no right to ask such a question. I told her my mother loved her married name and Cindy had wanted the same since I asked for her hand.
That is ridiculous. From reading this thread, I'm getting the feeling that some think the husband forces his name on the wife. Not true. I didn't ask my wife to take my name, she decided that on her own.

Although I can imagine there may be some exceptions.

For example, if my name was Bob Blowya and I married a woman named Ivana, I can imagine how things would go in meeting people.

"Hi, I'm Tom Tuttle and you are?"
"Ivana Blowya"

Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,878,450 times
RE: Doctors changing their names. It costs a small fortune to change the name on a medical license. When one of the docs I used to work for got married, probably 15 years ago now, the cost was $10,000. Needless to say, she kept her own name. Her husband didn't care one way or the other.

I took my DH's name for the simple reason that I always hated my last name. My DH would have been fine either way. It's just a name and doesn't reflect our very strong commitment to each other.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,858,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Pro-tip: If you let a woman feel empowered, she is more likely to act more feminine to you and do the things chauvinistic men compartmentalize in their miniscule minds about female roles. If you try to force traditional female roles on a woman, you'll not only get lashback but probably a stiletto heel shoved down your throat.
I don't see anything chauvinsitic about a man wanting his wife to take his name. You seem a bit radical in your beliefs about men and women. Why so much conflict?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,858,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
That is ridiculous. From reading this thread, I'm getting the feeling that some think the husband forces his name on the wife. Not true. I didn't ask my wife to take my name, she decided that on her own.

Although I can imagine there may be some exceptions.

For example, if my name was Bob Blowya and I married a woman named Ivana, I can imagine how things would go in meeting people.

"Hi, I'm Tom Tuttle and you are?"
"Ivana Blowya"

Same here. My wife loved my name. Why should my sister in-law care? It was not her business.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I agree. I never forced my wife to take my name, she voluntarily did it because that's the way it is. The question of changing her name vs. not changing her name never even came up.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:15 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,734,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I don't see anything chauvinsitic about a man wanting his wife to take his name. You seem a bit radical in your beliefs about men and women. Why so much conflict?
Clearly you were not reading the posts of certain individuals on this thread. To clarify, my thread was targeted to the one who said he "wouldn't stand for it". And way to make such a sweeping assumption about my beliefs! I actually cook, clean, wear dresses and heels often, and even have a cute little apron--does that soften your image of me up a bit? The thing is, I do all this willingly and happily because that is who I am and who I want to be to the man in my life. Not because he will "stand for it" or not.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:18 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I agree. I never forced my wife to take my name, she voluntarily did it because that's the way it is. The question of changing her name vs. not changing her name never even came up.
Most women want to take their husbands name and are proud to do so.

However, the world is not black and white. Sometimes there are very valid reasons for a woman to keep her maiden name after marriage.

A loving, supportive, unselfish man would be understanding if he were marrying a woman who had strong feelings about keeping her name due to professional reasons.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:18 AM

628 posts, read 2,045,474 times
I don't think it's an issue unless you want to make it an issue--I changed mine--but really don't see the benefit of changing it. It is a pain to change your social security card, drivers license, business cards etc.

The thing of the matter is that there are many families in which the members have different last names and as long as you are a good family unit it doesn't make a different (my neice has a different last name as she is from a previous marriage)--so her last name is different than her brothers last names etc--it doesn't get talked about and it's no big deal.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:21 AM

534 posts, read 1,595,147 times
I was thrilled to take my husband's name. Had nothing to do with my maiden name or anything. We were married, it was what I wanted. Not taking it wasn't an option for "me" at all. It was just another exciting thing about getting married. His brother's wife after 5 years just got around to changing her name. She doesn't have a profession that is would be a "hassle" do it either. Just never did it after the wedding.

My dentist got married about 2 years ago. She immediately changed her name to her husband's. I remember the hygentist telling me that she just got married and goes by Dr...... It didn't change a thing with her patients. Didn't seem like a major thing to do. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships