Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Indeed. Why should I buy a diamond ring, just because of some archaic tradition? I'll just twist some paper clips together, it's basically the same thing. I'm a modern man.

And a tuxedo at the wedding? That's old-fashioned. We're going to wear matching neoprene unitards to celebrate our androgyny.

In fact, weddings themselves don't make any sense. We will just get some cases of natural light kegs and go water skiing.
My boyfriend made me my ring when he went to Africa last year. It's beautiful and while it may not be worth much monetarily (It's made out of metals and gemstones he found while in Africa) it has so much more meaning than some gaudy $10,000 gold and diamond ring from Generic Jewelers. When he first proposed to me, he gave me a hose clamp he had sprayed with silver spray paint while we were working on an engine swap for his car. I don't get women's obsession with jewelry.

A good friend of mine just got married in Vegas dressed like Marilyn Monroe. Her husband wore jeans, chuck taylors and a white tshirt. They spent $75.

And I would NEVER EVER marry anyone who thought Natty Ice is good beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker23 View Post
My wife did not take my last name. We discussed and argued about it because it was very important to me. It went on all the way up to our wedding day when she came out and told me at the alter she was taking my last name. I was so thrilled. Well about two months went by and she had not changed her name. I knew it was a big thing for her to do and there was no real rush, so I said nothing. Then one day out of the blue she said she was not taking my last name. I was a bit upset since she told me on our wedding day she was and now backed out, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me. But then it went downill from there when she said that our kids would have her last name and not mine. This has been important to me since day 1 as I am an only sone and would like to have my family name continue. She would make every excuse in the book and I even tried to compromise with a hyphenated name, her last name could be its middle name etc and she would not compromise and got to the point where she told me I have no say in the last name since she is physically having the kid and if she wanted to she would tell the doctor I wasn't the father. Yes, it got that ridiculous. Now she will bring it up when her friends are around and make jokes about it when it bothers me ans she told me the other day that had I cried on our wedding day then maybe she would have took my last name.

Long story short, if your wife is going to keep her last name, great, but I would figure out a plan for your children's last name.
If that was the girl I was dealing with, we would have never made it to the alter. You sound like she's ripped your sac and had it brozed, on her desk.

That's the attitude my white-collar co-workers were talking about. It's important to you, because it defines your union. If she had issues with it, we would not have made it to the ceremony. It's not insecurity here. It's disregard for the other mate.

I can understand if a woman for professional purposes kept her last name at work, but outside of work in everything else she would have my last name.

It differs from man to man, but it's something that needs to be discussed. I would think for most men, if , outside of professional purposes, a woman refuses to change her name for me, she's not the woman for me.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:17 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Just curious. Do you think the tradition of a woman giving up her last name to take her husbands began when women were considered nothing more than a mans property?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My boyfriend made me my ring when he went to Africa last year. It's beautiful and while it may not be worth much monetarily (It's made out of metals and gemstones he found while in Africa) it has so much more meaning than some gaudy $10,000 gold and diamond ring from Generic Jewelers. When he first proposed to me, he gave me a hose clamp he had sprayed with silver spray paint while we were working on an engine swap for his car. I don't get women's obsession with jewelry.

A good friend of mine just got married in Vegas dressed like Marilyn Monroe. Her husband wore jeans, chuck taylors and a white tshirt. They spent $75.

Something Ice cold from the tap at SLO Brewery! With a tri tip sandwich?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
As long as you're cool with the neoprene unitards.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Ice cold from the tap at SLO Brewery! With a tri tip sandwich!
Lately I've been going to Creekside. They changed owners/name of SLO Brew and it's just not the same anymore

Old 10-08-2009, 10:21 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Reasons cited (professional degrees, hassle, etc) plus imagine that said woman has had accomplishments in her life that she is proud of. Snow White graduated from college, Snow White invented a hands-free hair dryer, Snow White has a foundation that helps find homes for the other sock lost in laundry limbo.

She has been Snow White her whole life. That's her identity, she feels proud of herself, and part of that is her name. Why shouldn't she keep it? Did she ask Prince Charming to change his last name? No! Why should she change hers?

Now, if you will pardon me, I am working the early shift at the gentleman's club. Please tip Snow White well.

I can tip 10 silver dollars i've been saving from Vegas...

Old 10-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
As long as you're cool with the neoprene unitards.
Not a problem for me!

I've had friends who were married in Tennis outfits, skydiving, SCUBA diving and 70's disco outfits!

In fact...I think only one couple I know had a 'normal' wedding...it was sooooo boring.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,891 times
The paperwork and legalities behind changing names can be difficult and pain for some ladies.

Case in point: My first marriage. I have a nickname I have used since birth, and since everyone in my home town knew me by that name, I also used it at work. Now I change my last name to match my husband, and my paychecks starting coming with my nickname (which is no where near any derivative of my actual name) and my new last name, to which I have not changed over my drivers license.

I can't cash my paychecks! I can't prove who I am! What a hassle.

After the divorce, changing back has to be asked for in your divorce decree to the judge, and sometimes he forgets to sign that part on page 18. LOL

Hubby number two, I gladly changed my name over, but after we were settled for a while.

Hubby did not care if I changed my name or not, it was my choice. But if he had some mean hang up about it, sorry, that's a turn off for me.

If it was important to him, and I wanted to cater and be sweet, then that's my choice, but not his.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:28 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Not taking my last name isnt even an option. My first wife did it and STILL has my name and my current wife took my name as well. Im "old school" on this and insist that she takes my name. None of this keeping her own last name stuff or hyphenating it like every black chick in the WNBA with all these names. No way. I told both of them that taking my name is part of the deal and they did it.
LOL every black chick?

What about white chicks that do it? I know a few, one in high-ranking US government offices.

Most men won't stand for it. Some don't care, and that's their right, but to me it says a lot about a woman's attitude towards the institution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships