Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I wouldn't stay one minute with someone I was dating and unhappy with. A marriage (especially with kids) would be worth putting the effort into...but not abuse, that's over the line. Just "not being happy" is no reason to bail on a marriage, you need to first figure out why, and then how to address it, because something is going to keep cropping up in every relationship you have. Most marriages end because one person isn't happy with themself, and the easiest thing to do is blame the spouse.
+1

Nobody said marriage was 24-7 bliss and happiness...dating isn't either. From what I've learned if I never have a disagreement with my SO, it might be doomed in the long run. It's all about how you look at those low points in the relationship....is it worth it to work it out or bail out?

All these frivilous divorces and breakups are part of our instant gratification society. It's killing us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 PM

748 posts, read 1,314,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Wow.

I think he taught you a fine lesson in what "love" really means.

There are so many "deadbeat Dads" that could care less about their kids but you have seen first hand what being a "real" Dad really means. Swimming shark infested waters to protect your children. Yeah, he proved to you that he loved you and would put up with this woman just to be there for you instead of abandoning you and your sister.

Hats off to you Dad!!!
Certainly... Thanks a lot...

Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times
Sometimes we find ourselves in a relationship which the feelings are to strong therefore is difficult to realize you need to move on.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:40 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablees8951 View Post
then why stay????? I mean besides financial issues and children being involved, but really if your dating someone and don't trust them, or whatever the problem may be...WHY stay with them?? Are so many people so weak that they can't stand up and leave a relationship for a happier life? I understand it is very hard to leave a relationship bc he/she could be the one that got away...but when your miserable why worry about one day? If you based every single decision on "one day" or "what-if" then you'll always be miserable.
I've recently taken a whole new outlook on life, just a personal decision, but I'm staying positive and I'm in this life for me and if people want to join my happy life then fabulous, if things don't work out well there is ALWAYS tomorrow!
What is it about being in a relationship that makes you so miserable that you want to stay??? Again besides the obvious like financial issues and children and such things. I'm talking people who haven't been together more then a couple years and things aren't that great in the relationship...what makes you stay in the relationship???
Not "unhappy" either. Just "content".

Old 10-21-2009, 12:46 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
if the feelings are too strong, then surely you don't NEED to move on ??

or do you mean if you're the one who has been dumped ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Sometimes we find ourselves in a relationship which the feelings are to strong therefore is difficult to realize you need to move on.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not "unhappy" either. Just "content".
Being "unhappy" and "content" are two different things though... if you are content it means you are ok with the situation you are in... but being unhappy is just miserable...

Old 10-21-2009, 12:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
^Being "content" and being "happy" aren't the same either.

What I was saying is while I might not be "happy", I'm never "unhappy" either.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
^Being "content" and being "happy" aren't the same either.

What I was saying is while I might not be "happy", I'm never "unhappy" either.
got it...

Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 PM

440 posts, read 1,030,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
It is very hard to leave an 'unhappy' situation. Unhappy comes from a lot of places, stress, the participants, what happens around them.

Sometimes a change is so gradual that you won't realize you're being manipulated into staying.

Sometimes leaving is scarier than the known.

I hate to say it but I think a lot of people stay unhappy because it's easy and it gets them a 'rub.'

Think about the person who constantly complains about what a jerk the significant other is. "Oh, you're too pretty for him," "You're so smart, he should appreciate you more," "She doesn't appreciate what you do for her..." They're getting something out of that.

I've had friends who've dated (married) poor choices. I usually don't discuss spouse's/sig others and a couple of times I've had to ask them to stop telling me because there's nothing I can do.

Of course if you have the terminally unhappy in your life, they will drag you down.

And since I choose to be happy, I don't hang with unhappy. That's the only thing I can control!
Very true...good point. I suppose a lot of people enjoy hearing all of those things in a way..."you're too pretty for him" bla bla bla. Its strange how people almost justify relationships sometimes.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:13 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
if the feelings are too strong, then surely you don't NEED to move on ??

or do you mean if you're the one who has been dumped ??
Precisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships