Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 07:36 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,371,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
^ ^I think it's weird when a guy has full custody of kids by multiple different women.. What kind of women are these that none of them 'want' to be with him or with their own kids? Not sure what it says about him either...Hmm, just a strange dynamic. But then again, single fathers are rife with strange dynamics..
I'm kinda with what this person ^ said, but I'd have a different take on it: instead of wondering what kind of women they are, I'd wonder what kind of guy would have full custody. I've read a lot about this these days, often along the line of good mothers losing custody because the guys have more money/power/attorneys.
Actually, I knew of a case like that when I was a young adult- an acquaintance bragging about how his father had been rich enough to get custody of him and his siblings away from their mother just because she was poor. I thought it stunk.

So to answer the OP's question, it'd depend on why the person was a 'single dad.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 AM

70 posts, read 57,541 times
Relationships are hard. When there are children involved, then there are that many more relationships to forge (including one with the mother, regardless of what terms the two parents are on). I think it can be even more tricky if you have children and a father of your own to add the the mix. Even if things go smoothly, you are the last to arrive at the party, so it can be easy to feel left out, even when it is not intended.

For those reasons, I would prefer not to date a guy with children, all things held equal. But I fully acknowledge that that is my issue and not any of theirs. For the record, I adore children, so I wish I was less anxiety-prone about the rest.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:51 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,750,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
This is pretty much me. When I get around kids that aren't young like my nephew or like one or two close friends children, I just look at the kid with a puzzled look. Almost like, why are you here and what do you want? Not because I don't care, but because I'm so inexperienced with children in general. If I'm taking that step in life, I rather do it with a child that I have either a bloodline investment with or adoption papers with. I know many women are better at entering step parent roles, but I just don't think it's for me. I had a step parent in my life as a kid and it was a nightmare. Nothing pleasant really came from it at all.
I've taught every age group. Kids of any age don't freak me out in the least.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:18 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,299,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've taught every age group. Kids of any age don't freak me out in the least.
I don't know what you're getting at.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:31 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,371,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I don't know what you're getting at.
I think she means some people are more comfortable around kids than others, and she's one who is.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 908 times
I am 42 with no children. I recently dated a man with a son. He only saw his son once a week, on Fridays. I was never invited to spend time with them. I got so lonely in this relationship and couldn't understand why I couldn't be a part of this kids life. After 16 months, I have had enough. I will never date anyone who has kids again.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:56 AM

48,626 posts, read 35,086,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic1024 View Post
I am 42 with no children. I recently dated a man with a son. He only saw his son once a week, on Fridays. I was never invited to spend time with them. I got so lonely in this relationship and couldn't understand why I couldn't be a part of this kids life. After 16 months, I have had enough. I will never date anyone who has kids again.

What? You got so lonely because you couldn't see him one day out of seven?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-05-2017, 01:14 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,096,994 times
I think I would hesitate, but for different reasons than simply the fact there may be rugrats about.

My personal experiences play a big part here, and that's not the kids fault, or their dads fault, or their babie's mom's fault. Its not even MY fault. It simply is what it is.

The dad's personal experiences play a big part too. In the end, how well-adjusted everyone is with the new family dynamic, and how mesmerizing is dad to make me want to even try to find out.

The best case scenario would be for the primary family to reconcile whatever broke it apart and become one again if they can. Second best would be to find a woman who wants dad bad enough to work through ANYTHING with him, AND take a back seat to his kids. It's a lot to ask from a woman who happens to be looking for a solid relationship, and maybe even kids of her own someday.

What is the woman looking for? If she's just looking for a good time on the weekends, and doesn't really care what you do with your week days (i.e. companionship-based relationship), I don't see a man with kids being a big deal, tbh.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:23 PM

8 posts, read 11,706 times
I wouldn't hesitate because I know that no way in hell would I ever date a man who already has kids from someone else. I always knew that I want a man with no kids, so me and him can start our own family. I'm not into ready made ones. Too much drama, baggage, financial strain, and stress. So I found my husband who doesn't have any kids either and we are planning to start our own family soon. I wasn't going to settle for a man for who I always come dead last. I think that single parents who are pushy about the topic and expect childless people to date them are quite delusional. Why not just date another single parent? They have more in common with each other anyway.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 PM

52,396 posts, read 52,914,951 times
Just skimming over this old thread I'm really surprised that so many women were reluctant to downright saying no to dating men with kids. I figured it would be more a man thing to not want to date a person with kids. Interesting in a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships