Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:00 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,415,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
Do you know the passwords of the email addresses your spouse uses for personal correspondence with friends or relatives (or lovers?)?

They say that many people who are having an affair start it all through flirty emails.

Would you be embarrassed if your spouse read every email you wrote or recieved in the last 12 months? What would they think of your emails?
When I'm with someone, usually I'll share the email account with them. In other words, when I was married, we both used only one email.. and with other things, we always had the same profile.

In my opinion, I think that one of the best ways to alleviate mistrust is not to let it have even the slightest opportunity to grow. When I'm with someone, my life is an open book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 PM

195 posts, read 294,301 times
I am surprised at the large number of people that would be completely open to having their spouse look at their personal correspondence. Especially women who stereotypically are closer to friends and may exchange very emotional and personal things in emails.

As a married man I would like to be able to write to some friends and relatives via email and have the same personal privacy that I would have behind closed doors in a face to face conversation, my wife does not need to overhear or read about everything I say. Even in marriages there would be some privacy.

I am sure that people who write me emails that are sensitive in nature would not like it if my wife were reading them. Would you want your wife or husband to listen in to every conversation that you had with people?

So to answer my orginal question. No my wife does not have access to my email and I would not give her my passwords. And no I am not having an affair.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:43 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,698,570 times
My SO is my only friend, and is not shielded from anything I might say to someone else.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:44 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,685,866 times
We have separate email accounts. When we want to share things we do, when we don't we don't. We have nothing to hide, so it isn't an issue. We don't even mess with each other's wallets/purses - it's how we were raised.
We share a cell phone, but both use it very infrequently.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
I am surprised at the large number of people that would be completely open to having their spouse look at their personal correspondence. Especially women who stereotypically are closer to friends and may exchange very emotional and personal things in emails.

As a married man I would like to be able to write to some friends and relatives via email and have the same personal privacy that I would have behind closed doors in a face to face conversation, my wife does not need to overhear or read about everything I say. Even in marriages there would be some privacy.

I am sure that people who write me emails that are sensitive in nature would not like it if my wife were reading them. Would you want your wife or husband to listen in to every conversation that you had with people?

So to answer my orginal question. No my wife does not have access to my email and I would not give her my passwords. And no I am not having an affair.
Everyone is entitled to their privacy - true. And just because we have each others passwords doesn't mean we open up the others email every day or anything. In fact, it rarely happens.

But the truth is, my husband and I know each other well enough to KNOW what the other person would be saying to someone else on a personal email.

In addition, there is truly nothing I would say to anyone else, no matter how personal, that I wouldn't say to him.

Now, some things I say to my friends or siblings don't interest him at all, so that's why I say them to other people and not him. But the point is, I COULD say it to him if I wanted to.

The fact that you want to have conversations with people on email that you apparently don't want her to know anything about seems suspect to me. Then again, maybe you just aren't really close and have some problems in your marriage?

Old 12-08-2009, 04:59 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,985,911 times
Quote:
Does your husband or wife (or SO) have access to your personal email?
Yes. We both do.

Quote:
Do you know the passwords of the email addresses your spouse uses for personal correspondence with friends or relatives (or lovers?)?
Yes. We both know each others' passwords. There are no "lovers" involved on either side.

Quote:
Would you be embarrassed if your spouse read every email you wrote or recieved in the last 12 months? What would they think of your emails?
I have nothing to be embarassed or ashamed about.

When you have trust in a relationship, and nothing to hide, there is no reason for such secrecy. Too bad there arent many others out there to have such trust and honesty in their relationships.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:11 PM

716 posts, read 1,120,663 times
Yeah, we know each others. I usually just leave it logged in for convienance. On the other hand, we don't check each others behind our back. Kind of like a mutual respect and trust thing. But no, I have nothing to hide.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,574,981 times
Quote:

They say that many people who are having an affair start it all through flirty emails.

My husband says he can't keep his passwords straight, let alone mine. He also says he woudln't want to have to wade through my unread emails. I only have about 900 . If he wanted to read the last two years of my emails, he could. There are only a few that would be embarassing but I'm sure the same could be said of him. We all vent about our spouses now and again.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,194,641 times
I would rather keep my personal passwords to myself. I like my privacy and personal space. Not everything should be shared with each other. And I hate the "If you go nothing to hide, then...." saying. It's a load of horse manure tbh.

Personal space and privacy means a lot to me.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,194,641 times
Quote:

Absolutely. You said it better than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships