Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:24 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
It IS my secret to tell. I make no bones about it; what you tell me in confidence, you tell to both of us. If you don't want him to know, don't tell me. And yes, I do tell people up front before they tell me. Generally I say something like, If I think it important, I will share with my husband. Most people who want me to know, want him to know. My female friends love that I will share with him and they also get a male pov if it differs from my own.
That is outrageous. I'm shaking my head in sheer disbelief. Where is your individuality and personal space? Where is your privacy? And most importantly, where is your common sense? If someone confides in you and tells you something very personal about them [tragedy, death or other personal stuff] you are obligated to keep that between you and said person.

Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
That is outrageous. I'm shaking my head in sheer disbelief. Where is your individuality and personal space? Where is your privacy? And most importantly, where is your common sense? If someone confides in you and tells you something very personal about them [tragedy, death or other personal stuff] you are obligated to keep that between you and said person.

Unbelievable.
No one confides in me without knowing ahead of time that I may share. I am only obligated by what I agree to be obligated by or to. I will NOT let a third party dictate to me what my obligations are. I will not have my choices (to share or not) be limited by any else. If you don't like that I retain the choice to share with my s/o, then do not confide in me. It's simple. I refuse to be burdened by YOUR need to unload.

As to my individuality, I chose this relationship and its parameters. Talk about individuality, I am not dictated to by anyone else's concept of what MY relationship is or should be or how it should work. It is between my husband and ME, and not you or anyone else.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:50 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
My H never cared. Everything we had online was open but he wasn't ever a "computer guy". I don't swap personal emails with anyone, it's usually just junk, receipt for online shopping, stuff like that anyway. I changed my password a few years back and never told him, but I doubt he remembered my old one either.

On the other hand....checking out his is how I discoverd his involvement with someone else. I was already suspecious, I just wanted proof. You would think he would have hid things better but since he never thought about my email I suppose he figured I never thought about his either...even though I had asked him for his password on many occasions to follow up on things like our online tax filings and such and had finally written it down.

Last edited by Ceece; 01-03-2010 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 03:06 PM

257 posts, read 1,058,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
It IS my secret to tell.

No it isn't. It's the other individual's personal business.

I make no bones about it; what you tell me in confidence, you tell to both of us. If you don't want him to know, don't tell me. And yes, I do tell people up front before they tell me.

Ok, well I can certainly respect that you tell them and give them the option of sharing with your husband as opposed to just telling him without permission.

Generally I say something like, If I think it important, I will share with my husband. Most people who want me to know, want him to know. My female friends love that I will share with him and they also get a male pov if it differs from my own.

At the same time, I don't run to him and yap every detail. I make a decision whether to share; but it is still clear that I have that option so am not breaking any confidences nor hiding anything from him. To my memory, there have not been any times when someone has wanted to share a confidence with me that they have chosen not to do so because of my informing them that I might tell my husband.
Personally, this scenario would NEVER work for me in a friendship. I can't imagine my friends' husbands knowing about any potential relationship issues/hook ups/divorce/family dysfunction/sexual dysfunction/menstrual troubles/abortions/miscarriages/sexually transmitted diseases/ work problems/illegal activity, etc that I may encounter. Lol.

This is the main reason why I am so closemouthed, because most people don't respect privacy/keeping confidences to the extent that I do. But once again, you are giving your friends an option so that's cool.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:19 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,254 times
I don't care.
My boyfriend knows my main e-mail address and the password, and I know his. Sometimes when neither of us can get to a computer, or have a way to access our e-mail for an extended period of time we have the other check it for us (usually if we're expecting an important e-mail).

Old 01-03-2010, 03:30 PM

461 posts, read 922,500 times
My gf and I know each other's emails and passwords, but we don't ever look at them.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 AM

122 posts, read 202,577 times
i don't give her access to my e-mail, but my yahoo! account at home is always logged in so if she wanted to check she could. i ain't got nothing to hide so whatever.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
We don't share passwords but if he cared to, he could figure it out easily. I have given them to him before to check something for me. Don't know if he kept them or not. I don't know his passwords and have never asked. I figure if he wants to share something with me, he will. As close as we are, I still think every individual has a right to some privacy and I have no plans to invade his!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:16 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,381,008 times
No. We each have our own email accounts and passwords and I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping it private. I believe we are both entitled to the privacy.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:21 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,702 times
We both have access to each others. The only thing that bothers me about it is that he'll read something and leave it as 'read.' Then I won't notice that it is a new message.

My sister is bi-polar with serious issues. Just the sight of her emails pisses off my husband. She can't send them to my home account anymore - I have her send them to my work instead. That's out of respect for my husband's sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships