Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,538 times

Advertisements

I understand your point Gwynedd, however, the OP is basically looking for tips on how to be a pick up artist, but is launching off on tangents, demonstrating how many books he has read, and how well he can copy and paste articles.

His discussion about philosophers, etc, while all well and good, has NOTHING to do with relationships, and it has already been suggested to him to reserve that for the "philosophy and religion" forum.

His constant attempts to justify his lifestyle, his beliefs, and his inspirations, again, interesting as they are, are not really important to whether we can help him learn to be a pick up artist.

Because the OP does not appear to be receptive to our help, and opinions, and is intent on showing his "knowledge", then many of us would normally be thinking of using the word "troll".
However, having read the warnings by the moderator, we cannot do that, so therefore need to ask questions to get further information as to whether the thread starter is genuine or not.

Personally, I know my feelings, and I smell B/S.

I could point out that if you rearrange the username, you will see "AM A NERD".
also, having checked the OP's posting history, he also has started another thread, which you can find here.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/other...-throw-me.html

Note that this thread takes a similar turn, with the OP trying to blind everyone with science, and failing.

Unless the OP is willing to moderate his psycho babble, and actually look for some help with his relationship related dilemma (or lack of it) then i am unable to offer anything to him.
I'd imagine that not many people on the board HAVE widely read all of the names he mentions, and will therefore be unaware of the concepts, so therefore they are almost irrelevant.
Granted, the OP has a different perception of the world, but to be a true success, you need to be able to see the world as others see it, while still maintaining your belief system.

In simple words, "tone it down a little".

Understanding is key, but the OP does not appear to WANT to understand.

He has his opinion, and we are all entitled to it.

To the OP, if you are a genuine poster, then, as someone suggested to you before, I ask again, save the philosophical stuff for the correct forum.

If you want to talk to us about getting laid (sīc), then stop the navel gazing, grab a beer, pull up a stool, and lets shoot the sh*t.

Otherwise, I cannot help, and I leave you to your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Well people, one cannot exactly refute his claim that people are inherently vicious. What I do see in the OP is someone who clearly sees and relates to the world differently. Its the same phenomenon I see with TVSG only in his case there is an apparent lack of depth(and no I don't spend time in his threads mocking him either). I can also generally surmise most people don't even know who Hobbes and Calvin were which precipitates into ego maintenance and hyper sensitivity to perceived arrogance in others . He just stated what he thinks.

Yet with such "odd balls" as these rather than attempt to relate, they are instinctively attacked and mocked. While he is a bit bookish for most tastes, did I really see any aggravating offense? They are actually people. Would kindness ever occur to some of you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,185 times
Look:

If you spend your days constantly thinking about life, you'll forget to live it.

There is nothing wrong with philosophy. I find it fascinating and enjoy learning about it. But philosophers aren't the golden key to life. They were human too.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I understand your point Gwynedd, however, the OP is basically looking for tips on how to be a pick up artist, but is launching off on tangents, demonstrating how many books he has read, and how well he can copy and paste articles.

His discussion about philosophers, etc, while all well and good, has NOTHING to do with relationships, and it has already been suggested to him to reserve that for the "philosophy and religion" forum.

His constant attempts to justify his lifestyle, his beliefs, and his inspirations, again, interesting as they are, are not really important to whether we can help him learn to be a pick up artist.

Because the OP does not appear to be receptive to our help, and opinions, and is intent on showing his "knowledge", then many of us would normally be thinking of using the word "troll".
However, having read the warnings by the moderator, we cannot do that, so therefore need to ask questions to get further information as to whether the thread starter is genuine or not.

Personally, I know my feelings, and I smell B/S.

I could point out that if you rearrange the username, you will see "AM A NERD".
also, having checked the OP's posting history, he also has started another thread, which you can find here.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/other...-throw-me.html

Note that this thread takes a similar turn, with the OP trying to blind everyone with science, and failing.

Unless the OP is willing to moderate his psycho babble, and actually look for some help with his relationship related dilemma (or lack of it) then i am unable to offer anything to him.
I'd imagine that not many people on the board HAVE widely read all of the names he mentions, and will therefore be unaware of the concepts, so therefore they are almost irrelevant.
Granted, the OP has a different perception of the world, but to be a true success, you need to be able to see the world as others see it, while still maintaining your belief system.

In simple words, "tone it down a little".

Understanding is key, but the OP does not appear to WANT to understand.

He has his opinion, and we are all entitled to it.

To the OP, if you are a genuine poster, then, as someone suggested to you before, I ask again, save the philosophical stuff for the correct forum.

If you want to talk to us about getting laid (sīc), then stop the navel gazing, grab a beer, pull up a stool, and lets shoot the sh*t.

Otherwise, I cannot help, and I leave you to your thread.
Hi bobman,

I understand the frustration, but given the media, I do not see how we can reliably ferret out the OP's intentions each and everytime time, or how it is really even primarily relevant. He still represents a category of a person that I have known in the past. It does not personally injury me either way. He was not personally aggressive or directly condescending. He could not possibly be doing this purely on some lark because he does demonstrate accuracy in the comprehension of the topics he raises because I have read many of those works. Why he does it here? I don't know. Maybe he is a well read practical joker.

The general topic, as needlessly complex as it was expressed, still has recognized the shift into hedonism, and in my mind, nihilism. He seems to mull over it and I would rather engage it as is.

Now my view it is, as some of you have alluded towards, our sensory organs all point outwardly, not inwardly. One can become so cerebral they mull over dreams and nightmares that have no reality. Engaging in reality , real life, and real people is what often brings proper resistance to otherwise unrestrained and useless thought. I also think women instinctively recognized this is dysfunctional.

Anyway, consider that "benefit of the doubt" is what I am saying. Otherwise he is easy to ignore.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times
After reading through this thread all I can say is I am glad I chose to study Chinese philosophy instead of Western philosophy in depth. Most of this is way above my head.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:09 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,549,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Look:

If you spend your days constantly thinking about life, you'll forget to live it.

There is nothing wrong with philosophy. I find it fascinating and enjoy learning about it. But philosophers aren't the golden key to life. They were human too.
Indeed, and many of them were tortured individuals as well. Go figure.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:09 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,171 times
Quote:
Well people, one cannot exactly refute his claim that people are inherently vicious. What I do see in the OP is someone who clearly sees and relates to the world differently. Its the same phenomenon I see with TVSG only in his case there is an apparent lack of depth(and no I don't spend time in his threads mocking him either). I can also generally surmise most people don't even know who Hobbes and Calvin were which precipitates into ego maintenance and hyper sensitivity to perceived arrogance in others . He just stated what he thinks.

Yet with such "odd balls" as these rather than attempt to relate, they are instinctively attacked and mocked. While he is a bit bookish for most tastes, did I really see any aggravating offense? They are actually people. Would kindness ever occur to some of you?
Well dang me, I tried to talk to him. Told him exactly how to pick me up. Do I get a hell yeah for trying to give the guy a break? We're not all vicious.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Look:

Hi mango tango,
The Theatre of the Absurd ... can be seen as the reflection of what seems to be the attitude most genuinely representative of our own time. The hallmark of this attitude is its sense that the certitudes and unshakable basic assumptions of former ages have been swept away, that they have been tested and found wanting, that they have been discredited as cheap and somewhat childish illusions.
[] MARTIN ESSLIN, The Theatre of the Absurd

I'll be glad to sit at the table when nature turns over my hand and declares me bankrupt. I will be happy to have one last chip hidden in my pocket that gives me the right to say I knew deck was stacked and the puzzle never had all the pieces. I stopped looking for them under the cushions of the love seat, sat and loved as much as I could.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:29 AM

76 posts, read 126,811 times
Well I stated from the first post that my main dilemma was embracing the PUA lifestyle as opposed to individual tactics. The title of this thread is about how pessimism interferes. I never claimed to be intelligent or a wise man. And if you wish to see my use of philosophy as a crutch to express my personal experiences, then you can simply see every quoted philosopher as proof of me bragging how stupid I am.

Also besides how pessimism affects my personal psychology, I think the reflections on what it means to live in a social darwinist world is DIRECTLY relevant to PUA, since there is a theoretical foundation to PUA. Based on a rather ruthless biology.

I think philosophy and my personal life are deeply intertwined. And even where its not about me personally, I think it does relate to relations between men and women. IF PUA science is right, and power is always right, then precisely those characteristics in men that would most contribute to a brutish vampric age would be those rewarded with genetic success. In this way my unwillingness to live in a demon haunted world, is directly related to PUA theory and even stems from it.

If I posted this on the philosophy forum, I think the complaint would be that this isn't really philosophy but my personal issues.

I can't just live life, and I wouldn't want to. I'm the opposite of Zen live in the moment. Maybe that makes me a failure, but until that question is settled its questionable whether success is even worth it. When you come to see humans as demonic as I do, there is little compensation in aspiring to be king of the hill.

My first post did go into a lot of detail about my personal history. About my social status in high school and how I ended up where I'm now.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Well dang me, I tried to talk to him. Told him exactly how to pick me up. Do I get a hell yeah for trying to give the guy a break? We're not all vicious.

Hi yellfire,

I am glad you tried to help but the problem seemed to be he would not enjoy picking you up. I had this problem. I remember someone I knew way back who had recently divorced, and had a new girlfriend. They were arguing. If you ever had seen someone laugh seemingly at nothing on the bus, you may have seen me that day.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:43 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,538 times
Again, you are correct, i can't find fault with what you say, but lets put it in relevant terms.

Imagine it's "bring your dad to school day".
The dad is to explain to a group of 8 year olds what he does at work.

The fireman tells of how he rides on the big red fire engine, and uses his hose to put out fires. Sometimes he gets to save people's lives. He rescues them from the fire, and carries them down the ladder.

The postman tells of how he takes all the letters that people send, and sorts them out, then, he takes them in his truck, and puts them in everyones mailbox.

The Theoretical astrophysicist tells of how he uses a wide variety of tools which include analytical models(for example, polytropes to approximate the behaviors of a star) and computational numerical simulations. Each has some advantages. Analytical models of a process are generally better for giving insight into the heart of what is going on. Numerical models can reveal the existence of phenomena and effects that would otherwise not be seen. Theorists in astrophysics endeavor to create theoretical models and figure out the observational consequences of those models. This helps allow observers to look for data that can refute a model or help in choosing between several alternate or conflicting models.
Theorists also try to generate or modify models to take into account new data, In the case of an inconsistency, the general tendency is to try to make minimal modifications to the model to fit the data. In some cases, a large amount of inconsistent data over time may lead to total abandonment of a model.

By this stage, the kids are looking blankly, and secretly pretending they are firemen.

The OP is the astrophycisist in this case.

what he says is correct, however, it is beyond the field of understanding of the audience.

If he'd simply said "I use a big telescope, and spaceships, and we look at planets and stars to see if we can tell what they're made of", then the kids would be like "WOW !! COOL !!".

I stand by what I have said from the start, this is not a relationship discussion, and if the OP wants to discuss it on this level, it's not the right place.

i can give him cheesy chat up lines, and explain to him how to pick up girls, but I can't help him struggle with his quest to justify his existence.

I think 90% of the people reading this are putting out imaginary fires !

Quote:
Hi bobman,

I understand the frustration, but given the media, I do not see how we can reliably ferret out the OP's intentions each and everytime time, or how it is really even primarily relevant. He still represents a category of a person that I have known in the past. It does not personally injury me either way. He was not personally aggressive or directly condescending. He could not possibly be doing this purely on some lark because he does demonstrate accuracy in the comprehension of the topics he raises because I have read many of those works. Why he does it here? I don't know. Maybe he is a well read practical joker.

The general topic, as needlessly complex as it was expressed, still has recognized the shift into hedonism, and in my mind, nihilism. He seems to mull over it and I would rather engage it as is.

Now my view it is, as some of you have alluded towards, our sensory organs all point outwardly, not inwardly. One can become so cerebral they mull over dreams and nightmares that have no reality. Engaging in reality , real life, and real people is what often brings proper resistance to otherwise unrestrained and useless thought. I also think women instinctively recognized this is dysfunctional.

Anyway, consider that "benefit of the doubt" is what I am saying. Otherwise he is easy to ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships