Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 02:13 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I agree but I don't want to sit on that porch with women whining about "no good men" out there, who really are settling for sitting on the porch. My back porch is a whine (not wine) free zone and a full bar zone. There's a big world out there and lots to explore, not enough time in one lifetime to do it all.
We will not be whining about men, I think this is some misinterpretation here, we will be smiling because we are happy with ourselves and our own choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:17 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
I think it's odd that there has been almost no mention of "love" on this thread. When I met my husband, he certainly didn't fit any criteria I had. I had an advanced degree, a good job and had just bought a house. He'd just gotten out of the Navy, didn't have a job or a college degree and initially, I thought he hung around too much. But he made me laugh, he was a hard worker and very thoughtful. (I had a can opener that didn't work worth a crap and about the 3rd time he came over, he brought me a new one. I'll never forget that.) I realized that the more time I spent with him, the happier and more relaxed I became. Over time, we fell in love.

Now, 14 years later, we've been married 12 years, have a beautiful child together, a slightly bigger house and a strong, healthy relationship. He got his degree and we're equal partners in our relationship. We're not ecstatically happy all the time and have our snarly moments, but our love has grown and deepened over the years.

We still probably don't fulfill each other's checklists: I'm not built like Jessica Biel, don't play video games and hated The Matrix. He complains about the number of pets we have and will never be described by anyone as "easy-going," both things I would have thought were indispensable at one time.

But so what? You can have all the checklists you want, but there's no substitute for loving someone and having them love you. If you're blinded by your checklist requirements, you may miss out on the real thing.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:19 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
This is a board of opinions; the post is about "should women settle" and I don't think anyone should ever "settle." That's just my opinion & I'm entitled to it.
If you have something to say, by all means feel free to say it. But my post wasn't about "should women settle." My post was specifically about what that poster wrote, about her life, how she is wondering what else is out there vs staying in her marriage. Do you see what I mean when I say that your life isn't relevant to my post?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:22 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Women hope to hide the evidence that they settled, which is why their lists start with the superficial unimportant things.
Unlike men, whose criteria is dosent weight over 130 lbs, hot, big boobs and no kids?

I believe both women and men in their younger years are more hung up on the superficial and overlook more important qualities. As we become older and wiser our requirements or lists or qualities or whatever you want to call them change. I have known ONE woman and ONE man who had a list of ridiculous requirements for dating.

I fit right in there with your #5. Your description couldnt be further from the truth. The truth is most of us marry because we fall in love with someone and we tend to overlook most undesirable characteristics. After divorce, which I would not describe as not being sucessful, you actually less likely to be blinded by superficial traits and less likely to accept certain behaviors.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:25 PM

17 posts, read 66,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
drink long island teas (liquor) on a back porch in July.
Just looking up to heaven
At this crescent in the sky

Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think it's odd that there has been almost no mention of "love"
Which is the saddest thing..People have taken love and the human element out of it and made relationships strictly about what they can personally gain from it..

Id want to stay far away from these people as possible..Obivously not the most warm effectionate bunch around..

Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Which is the saddest thing..People have taken love and the human element out of it and made relationships strictly about what they can personally gain from it..

Id want to stay far away from these people as possible..Obivously not the most warm effectionate bunch around..
People talk about dating like they're buying a car. "I wanted the Lexus, but I decided to settle for the Hyundai."

Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The truth is most of us marry because we fall in love with someone and we tend to overlook most undesirable characteristics. After divorce, which I would not describe as not being sucessful, you actually less likely to be blinded by superficial traits and less likely to accept certain behaviors.
Instead of asking whether it's good to settle, the question should be on what qualities should you be willing to settle. A lot of the divorced people I know talk about how they focused on the wrong qualities prior to their first marriage. They settled, but in the wrong way. A lot of guys do this. They marry someone really hot, but overlook some of her personality flaws. A lot of women do this too. They'll marry some guy who was tall, good-looking, ambitious only to find 10 years later that he made a lousy husband and father. When both of these divorced people reenter the dating world, it's with a different (and often more mature) perspective on what to look for in a partner. Then again, some people just repeat the same mistakes they made the first time.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:42 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Maybe it has something to do with on line dating sites. Fortunately, I have never done that, it seems so cold. Dating has changed since Ive been out there. Now Im going to have to come up with 300 things to analyse and judge about the opposite sex. 300. I think it might be easier to just switch sides.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post

I'm not a particularly emotional person. But "love", as it were, generally comes after you've spent time with a person. After you've had a chance to make some sort of bond through shared experiences. There are people who "fall in love" far too easily.

The first statement I made on an early dating site profile was something like, "are you all done being charted and typed?" I may have a few preferences, but I was always open to date many sorts of women. Even ones who might struggle to find themselves a date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships