Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which interracial relationships are the most common?
White Men and Asian Women 46 40.35%
White Men and Latina Women 7 6.14%
Black Men and White Women 38 33.33%
Black Men and Latina Women 8 7.02%
Black Women and White Men 1 0.88%
Black Women and Latino Men 1 0.88%
Latino Men and White Women 8 7.02%
Asian Men and White Women 4 3.51%
Black Men and Asian Women 0 0%
Any others? Please state 1 0.88%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I think if i visited there, i may get too excited and arrested for gross indecency.
I go to my kids' schools and my head is on a swivel, so many hot Desi moms walking around............

Old 03-09-2010, 12:14 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yup. My dad is African American, my mom Latina.......but she is definitely black.

I know one family with an African American father and Puerto Rican mother, and the mom is certainly more "African'' in appearance than the dad.
My only guess is that many Americans are not aware that the Spanish were heavily into the slave trade, just as the Americans and British were. Also many blacks, from the West Indies, migrated to Spanish speaking countries on there own free will for better jobs.

You would think with as much blacks, from Latin America, play baseball and soccer; that more Americans would be much aware of their existence.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:19 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
My only guess is that many Americans are not aware that the Spanish were heavily into the slave trade, just as the Americans and British were. Also many blacks, from the West Indies, migrated to Spanish speaking countries on there own free will for better jobs.

You would think with as much blacks, from Latin America, play baseball and soccer; that more Americans would be much aware of their existence.
Hi brooklynight,

Don't forget the French and the Dutch. I am not shy about some of my ancestry in this particular case.
Dubrovnik Republic was the first in Europe and indeed the first in the world to outlaw the slavery - on 27. January 1416. Slavery was outlawed 150 years later in England in 1569, while in the U.S.A. slavery was outlawed in 1862, towards the end of the civil war.
Beat that!

Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
Panama and Costa Rica and Honduras are great examples of this, but so are the Dominican Republic and Cuba. Lots of black folk in all of these places who have British surnames. Also lots of discrimination. At one point, before the end of World War II, blacks in Costa Rica were not allowed to travel outside the Atlantic state of Limon where most were concentrated. Those in Guanacaste on the other side of the country were simply classfied as indigenous.

Quote:

Funny thing is, people get this bizarre notion that somehow since blacks from Latin America speak another language, or simply because they come from somewhere else, they are not black. I get that all the time. "Are you black?" Well, what the hell do you think? I got brown skin and nappy hair..........or the one I really love: "Roberto Clemente wasn't black. He was Puerto Rican." "Sammy Sosa is not black. He's Dominican." One of my high school teachers told me that Pele wasn't black, he was Brazilian. I tld her, "OK, I'm not black either. I'm American." Or something someone said on one of these forums here on C-D that took the prize. "Haitians are black, but they're not really black black."

Uhh..........OK.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi brooklynight,

Don't forget the French and the Dutch. I am not shy about some of my ancestry in this particular case.
Dubrovnik Republic was the first in Europe and indeed the first in the world to outlaw the slavery - on 27. January 1416. Slavery was outlawed 150 years later in England in 1569, while in the U.S.A. slavery was outlawed in 1862, towards the end of the civil war.
Beat that!

Dubrovnik, huh? There are still remnants of African descendants on the Adriatic coast of Croatia. I've seen women there who look like Puerto Rican, Cuban, Dominican or Brazilian mulatas. I also remember some Olympic athletes from Croatia who were obviously of black ancestry.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:05 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
Panama and Costa Rica and Honduras are great examples of this, but so are the Dominican Republic and Cuba. Lots of black folk in all of these places who have British surnames. Also lots of discrimination. At one point, before the end of World War II, blacks in Costa Rica were not allowed to travel outside the Atlantic state of Limon where most were concentrated. Those in Guanacaste on the other side of the country were simply classfied as indigenous.
My great-grandfather migrated to Honduras and Nicaragua from the Caribbean, to work on the banana plantations down in those countries. He fathered a baby ,in Honduras, with a woman from either St Kitts or Jamaica, I always wondered what happened to my relatives there. Matter of fact, most of my maternal grandfathers youth was spent in Honduras. My sister in law's parents are from Costa Rica, but they are both from San Jose, though most of their family lives in Limon. And some of my friends, growing up in New York, were Panamanian of Jamaican and Barbadian origin. So I was always aware of the migration to Central America.

I am a baseball freak and always wondered why many Dominican players had English last names (like George Bell, Alfredo Griffin, and Juan Samuel) it would be much later I found that many English speaking Caribbeans migrated to the Dominican to cut sugarcane!!

Quote:

Funny thing is, people get this bizarre notion that somehow since blacks from Latin America speak another language, or simply because they come from somewhere else, they are not black. I get that all the time. "Are you black?" Well, what the hell do you think? I got brown skin and nappy hair..........or the one I really love: "Roberto Clemente wasn't black. He was Puerto Rican." "Sammy Sosa is not black. He's Dominican." One of my high school teachers told me that Pele wasn't black, he was Brazilian. I tld her, "OK, I'm not black either. I'm American." Or something someone said on one of these forums here on C-D that took the prize. "Haitians are black, but they're not really black black."

Uhh..........OK.
I have heard that same foolishness as well, it no longer fazes me!!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:52 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I will have to say that I do look at it from an exception based on not Western women especially the Anglo sphere because its easier to identify. I simply find them to be the least feminine among many cultures. I find Asian, Eastern European, South American, East Indian women to be more feminine. Its like night and day in some cases. One reason is because I have met them and spent time with them.

Our culture seems to like this image a lot.

I don't.

I am also well aware of my social achillies heel which is boredom. It is difficult for me to have any boredom when there is an entire life time of cultural experiences I would need to dig through.
It's probably the influence of feminism, whilst beneficial has led to some traditionally "female" traits being looked down on.

I do agree in some sense though, in that some cultures have more feminine women than others do. I don't find women who are overly girly attractive, but neither women who are aggressive or belligerent.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:07 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
It's probably the influence of feminism, whilst beneficial has led to some traditionally "female" traits being looked down on.

I do agree in some sense though, in that some cultures have more feminine women than others do. I don't find women who are overly girly attractive, but neither women who are aggressive or belligerent.
Hi samston,

I would not characterize my position as disliking American women. I am talking about sexual attraction. I am less sexually attracted to the more masculine characteristics generally speaking. I am not sexually attracted to my male friends either, and I like them very much.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,025 times
According to the 2000 census the largest interracial coupling is White men/Latin women at 766,189 marriages.

Swivel | Marriage and cohabitation rates by gender

Old 03-10-2010, 10:36 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
White men and Asian women. I guess historically, the most prominent was black men and white women. Probably in the 1990s, WM/AW outnumbered BM/WW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships