Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:51 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,013,272 times

Advertisements

Hey gang,
I need a variety of opinions on this one because I'm on the fence as to what to think/do. I tend to be laid-back about dating, maybe TOO laid-back, I dunno.

Here's the deal: I'm talking with a couple of guys via an online dating site. I've noticed that the men in my age group prefer to talk and email for a longer period of time than younger folks seem to do. That's not a problem. I think it does help us feel comfortable and get to know each other well before the meet-up. Also, most men my age have had some bad relationships and tend to be a bit cautious. I get that, too.

So, I've been communicating with one in particular for about six weeks now. We have a lot in common, talk easily and effortlessly, and I really think that it's time to meet up. When we talked late last week, I said that and he agreed. He said he'd like to have dinner with me this week and we would arrange it. He had some family stuff over the weekend but it's now Tuesday and I haven't heard from him. I don't know what to think!

The signs are that he's into me. He remembers our conversations, asks about things that are important to me, and we talk about our families. It's nothing to spend over an hour on the phone. He's also indicated that he's told his friends about me.

As I said, I'm pretty calm and laid-back but I think that it's come to the point where this either needs to progress or end. I'm not looking for a phone pal or pen pal. And even though I'm communicating with other men, this man and I have the most in common so I'd really like to see where it's going and, if it's going nowhere, then I need to know that, too.

I'm really confused as to why I haven't heard from him. He said this was a light week for him at work. (He does have a high-powered career.) Yes, something could have come up but a one or two sentence email wouldn't take any time at all. I'm thinking that if I haven't heard from him by tonight then I may need to address it head-on. Or should I hold off a bit, stop communicating, and see if something happens or it dies off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,952,271 times
Maybe he planned on getting with you mid-week or even Thursday to set the date for Friday? I'd give it a day or two more. Also, you said "we would arrange it" so maybe he's looking for a call or email from you. Although I do have to say that if it were me I would have contacted you early in the week to set the date. Dunno, he may be just the shy type or a procrastinator. If he's a procrastinator, RUN, don't walk RUN! My wife is a procrastinator and it bugs me to no end.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:57 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Just drop him a note asking if you are still on for dinner this week. You'd like to know so you can plan accordingly or make other plans.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:57 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
It's still early in the week. I wouldn't take the step of an ultimatum yet.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:58 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,009,486 times
If he didn't get back to me I don't think I could pursue it any further--not even for an answer as to why. That he didn't is answer enough for me. I could no more ask him why or what's next than I could chase a stranger down whom I had a brief conversation with and ask him what's next with us. Hope that came out right.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Or should I hold off a bit, stop communicating, and see if something happens or it dies off?
I would. A few days will not make or break anything. Just leave the ball in his court.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
I never did that waiting around for what he thinks thing. I always found that to be a waste of time. Don't play games. State your place and what you want. Its not an ultimatum to say what you want and ask if that is where he is at. I would not stop talking to him though just because he won't get involved on an intense level. Thats kinda crappy.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
The case would be closed in my mind. Should he resurface later and ask me out for real, I might go if I weren't interested in someone else. But as it stands now, the way I am reading your post is that he asked to take you to dinner sometime this week. It's up to him to make it happen, and if he hasn't so far, his interests are elsewhere.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:03 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Just drop him a note asking if you are still on for dinner this week. You'd like to know so you can plan accordingly or make other plans.
I think this is the best way. Not too harsh, but a good reminder that he did agree to dinner. If you don't hear from him soon after, I would drop it.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
For Pete's sake, she's talking about A FEW days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships