Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 02:40 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Well, anyone is entitled to their dating preferences - I wouldn't gainsay want anyone wants even if I can't understand it.

But what the OP seems to be missing is, he has his preferences AND so does SHE. But he doesn't like hers, so complains about it, while drumming on his right to date who he wants.

Date who you want, there is no need to put down other people in your justification of it.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It's great to hear a woman chime in with both sensible and well-articulated reasons, and ones which are reciprocal to why a childless man would not want to date a single mom with a living ex.
Thanks. Yes this is something I encounter all the time and when I tell people why I am not open to dating dads I get many excuses from "if he's still single and childless there's something wrong" to "parents are more responsible" to everything in between. Unfortunately the most irresponsible people I've seen have been the people who had kids and never married the other person then wants someone else to help support them. I have seen this scenario. Many people don't even realize in many states the stepparents either might have to pay child support or alimony or the state may raise it because of the rise in income. I can't even imagine having to spend part of my paycheck on someone else's kids I had no involvement with or his exwife. I'd rather take that money and helping my family, including my 3 year old niece.

When people say something like they date parents because they are better or childless people have something wrong I mention me and my former best friend. Going by this logic it would seem my former best friend was a better choice because she has a child and has been married (though not to the father of her child)while I am never married and childless. However, what isn't mentioned is she is a former drug addict who used to randomly sleep around and got pregnant by her mother's boyfriend when she was 19 (he was 55). She was on welfare until she abused the systerm and was selling the food stamps to buy drugs and booze. Meanwhile I spent my 20s going to college and graduate school and working on my career. My friend graduated last in her class in high school and never attended college. As for looks, she wanted to be a model and I went with her to an agency and they wanted me, not her. The man she eventually married didn't graduate from high school, has poor hygiene and has never held a job. I know he married her because she now has a job (though a low paying one).

There are still older childless people so if someone wants one they can find one if they look. I've even found childless men in their 30s, 40s and yes even 50s and many of them want to get married. Many are single and childless simply because they were working on their career, are shy, or just didn't meet anyone.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't think a 25 year old views a 36 year old as a OLD MAN especially if she is attracted to him
I agree.

I think there are girls in their mid 20s who would pass up a guy in his mid 20s and do the deed with someone middle-aged the likes of George Clooney, or anyone else with "corner office" looks, even if they were NOT a movie star.

I went to Catholic grammar school with a half Hispanic/half Lebanese girl who drooled over Charlton Heston. She was 12 or 13 at the time. Helllooooo.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:52 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
I don't think a 25 year old views a 36 year old as a OLD MAN especially if she is attracted to him
When you are 25 an 11 year spread makes you old. What would you have in common with a 25 year old woman?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:47 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
When you are 25 an 11 year spread makes you old. What would you have in common with a 25 year old woman?
It all depends on what the parties are looking for.

Dating doesn't mean it's to get serious for the long-term. It could just be for sex. Who knows?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interscope2000 View Post
Sadly, I just exited one of these relationships, not because of my ex (well, not totally,) but because there is too much drama.

First, we will never understand what you are feeling about your child, nor will we ever feel the same about your seed.

Second, we don't want to deal with baby-mama or daddy drama - what that means is ever seeing, talking to or ever hearing their voice.

Thirdly, Why would ANYONE ever want to be second, third, etc.

Fourth, we know why you want to date us singles...for the reason listed above, so why not just stick to your own kind.

Fifth, we can't discipline or have a say in how much you spend on your ex/child, so what do you think is the great appeal about you...unless you are a model?

Sixth, if we ever married, you wad is blown on your previous kids, so?

Elighten me as to what the appeal is?

I imagine only single parent will respond will respond with "selffish" but that's not is, it's called doing it right the first time.
Everybody is somebodies child even those baby boomer people once had parents. With that said nobodies child is special & yes that means YOURS too. Its crazy how people act sometimes over their children. I like kids, but peopleare crazy

Old 08-20-2012, 04:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
What would I have in common with a 47 year old??

Old 08-20-2012, 05:07 PM

464 posts, read 479,449 times
Didn't we have a thread on this already?

I will not date a single father because their children will come before me and quite frankly I'm not having that.

Don't hate.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:07 PM

109 posts, read 128,437 times
Quote:
Even if she didn't have kids that doesn't mean that no other guy was inside your SO
LOL! True, but I don't want that in my face all the time. The main thing is though, I don't want to have to deal with children.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:44 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Judging from what the OP is saying, it's a wonder that step-parents exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.