Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:19 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I don't think they can change fundamentally. People's qualities get sharpened and refined as they age, and their areas of focus shift. But the core, foundational qualities that make us who we are -- I think they develop quite early in life and aren't amenable to change after that.
I agree completely. Very , very, very few people in my experience can truly change, not fundamentally anyway.

The subject of "redemption" for example is one which fascinates me because human beings' hard-wiring starts at a very early age and is very difficult to alter. We are very much the product of our environment ( as well as some genetic input ) at the time our personalities were formed ( very early age).

I have had a few bad experiences with people of being betrayed when I genuinely believed someone had always been a good and decent human being and wondered how they could change so much.

Then I realised that they had always been twisted and duplicitous but had simply either been great actors or even simply never been given the opportunity/reason to show their true colours. The bad seed was always there but either invisible or waiting to sprout...

Humans can change but it is no easy feat , thus immensely rare. We can turn our lives around but changing personalities is a lot more challenging I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,777,113 times
I think a lot of that is the lifestyle our society heavily pressures us all to live. Go to work, marry, have kids by 30. Now sign on for an assload of expenses that have to be paid monthly 'til you're 50-60years old. ten to twenty years later you die. No time for heavy psychological or spiritual growth and change.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
The older I get, the more I sound like my parents.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:59 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
...care less about money, education, power, status, physical appearance, and all the superfluous things that so many of us tend to dwell upon.

And the more I prize kindness, a caring attitude, happiness, decency, vivaciousness, intelligence, integrity, sincerity.

Just sayin...
I'd leave money, power and status out of this. They are not superfluous at all.

I keep hungering for more as I grow up.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'd leave money, power and status out of this. They are not superfluous at all.
yes, they are superfluous. they are distractions.
you are just still being distracted by them, and so don't yet realize their non-value

Old 05-20-2010, 12:36 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
The older I get, the more I...care less about money, education, power, status, physical appearance, and all the superfluous things that so many of us tend to dwell upon.

And the more I prize kindness, a caring attitude, happiness, decency, vivaciousness, intelligence, integrity, sincerity.
that says it all
Truth with a capital T
thanks prof

Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
Quote:
...care less about money, education, power, status, physical appearance, and all the superfluous things that so many of us tend to dwell upon.

Just sayin...

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
The older I get, the more I realize there is no one I need to impress and not to sweat the small stuff.

I appreciate life so much more and take a whole lot more time to stop and smell the roses, to watch the sun rise or sun set, to look at the beautiful clouds or to watch the squirrels play. I am happy with WHO I am and where I am in life, to heck with what anyone else thinks of my lifestyle or how I look. No one has ever taken as good a care of "Me" as "ME" do! (That's been my motto for over 20 years)

Old 05-20-2010, 01:25 PM

367 posts, read 415,341 times
I agree with the OP, all except for the physical part. I have had a difficult time adjusting to the physical aging process ... I always said I was never vain - and I never was, because I took my looks for granted - now that my looks are fading,I find myself putting undue value on them. It is an adjustment process - I will eventually settle into it.

But certainly, the other stuff, about money, power and status ... I agree with, 100%.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I am one who has truly changed. And I've also learned to embrace poverty in the process.

Now I keep asking myself why I waited so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships