Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:23 PM

95 posts, read 140,173 times

Advertisements

ChicagotoDC,

Wow, they were insanely intrusive. They went overboard. By the way, what part of Chicago are you from? I am from the Oak Lawn area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 06:44 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Last night at about 9:30 we were putting the littler ones to bed when someone knocked at our front door.

IMO, people only knock at your door at that hour when it's an emergency. So I went down to see who it was. It was evangelists! At 9:30 at night! Oooooh, that's something that really ticks me off. And it's kind of creepy, too... at that hour of the night they might have been up to no good and using the evangelist bit as a cover.

They were two young girls dressed in very conservative outfits. They had badges identifying themselves as members of a Christian group (but not a group I recognized off hand. I wish I had written down the name--if they come back again I will). They held Bibles and seemed a little nervous.

I asked them what they wanted and they couldn't get to the point so I cut to the chase and asked if it was an emergency. The answer was "your soul is an emergency" so I said "no thanks" and shut the door. My husband said he thought he'd seen a van dropping these girls of down the street, so I guess they annoyed the whole neighborhood.

I've never, EVER had something like that happen before. We had to deal with Jehovah's Witnesses before when we lived in California, but they were at least polite enough to harrass you during the day.

Any thoughts? Is this happening to other people? If this is likely to happen again I want to nip it in the bud. Maybe I'm over-reacting, but IMO it is WRONG to knock on someone's door late at night. Plus I don't want to encourage strangers to knock on my door, anyway. Is this something to notify the police about? Or maybe notify the HOA?
People are crazy! It's one thing to evangelize, but to do it that late at night is ridiculous. Not only that, but I would never send my daughters to someone's house that time of night. I would beware because some time you have people like this who pretend to be churches and they are nothing but cults. I'm a Christian and I believe you have every right to feel uncomfortable about this situation. It's disturbing and disrespectful. I wouldn't notify the police but the HOA definitely needs to know.

Edit: Just realized how old this is.....

Last edited by justtitans; 06-30-2012 at 06:57 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySonsDad View Post
ChicagotoDC,

Wow, they were insanely intrusive. They went overboard. By the way, what part of Chicago are you from? I am from the Oak Lawn area.
This was when I was living in Evanston. I spent 4 years there then moved to river north for 5, finally lake view for 5 more

Old 06-30-2012, 07:23 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Proselytizers are just a low-tech version of telemarketers. They have no grounds on which to expect any higher level of respect or consideration.
This is the reason why I get irritated with people like this group that put these girls up to this because you have people like saganista who make sweeping generalization of individuals who do this. Believe it or not, there people who are legitimately trying to help others. It's not necessarily about getting someone to join their church or to get money. Some people just genuinely care about that individual and wants to do whatever they can to help that person. I do believe that this particular situation crossed the line, but I think generalizations of people like this breeds ignorance.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:28 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,560,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
This was when I was living in Evanston. I spent 4 years there then moved to river north for 5, finally lake view for 5 more
And we were in Glen Ellyn for three years before moving here.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
and Normie is no longer on this forum.
Normie's gone ? I didn't even realize that. Hope she didn't join the religious cult that was knocking on her door.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
This is the reason why I get irritated with people like this group that put these girls up to this because you have people like saganista who make sweeping generalization of individuals who do this. Believe it or not, there people who are legitimately trying to help others. It's not necessarily about getting someone to join their church or to get money. Some people just genuinely care about that individual and wants to do whatever they can to help that person. I do believe that this particular situation crossed the line, but I think generalizations of people like this breeds ignorance.
Sorry, but no one has the right to disturb other people while expecting to get the Miss Manners treatment back in return. When you choose to ring my bell at an odd hour, you force me to stop whatever it is that I am doing to get up and go see what it is that you might want or need. You are showing no respect for me at all. You are in essence putting yourself ahead of me in deciding what it is I am to be doing at that moment in time in my own home. You know I'm sure exactly what you can do with that idea.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:50 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Believe it or not, there people who are legitimately trying to help others. It's not necessarily about getting someone to join their church or to get money. .
pgtitans - Really? Please explain what help you (and those showing up at the doors) think these people need? And how that help would be achieved.....

Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
pgtitans - Really? Please explain what help you (and those showing up at the doors) think these people need? And how that help would be achieved.....
Well the answers to those questions are very brief and simple, but I am not sure whether answering would violate the city-data TOS:

Quote:
All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.
Still, to echo someone earlier, the problem with door-to-door evangelism is that probably 95% of the people who do it belong to some cult or a sect way outside the mainstream.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:39 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
I'm guessing it's because that's when they'll find the greatest number of people at home. It used to be the dinner hour or Saturday morning but a lot of people aren't even home now at those times. It's all a numbers game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality