Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 05:50 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
How did I generalize? I said there's a lot of evangelizing in this manner.

There are in fact people who do as I described, and yes, I think any such presumptuous inquiry into such a personal matter is offensive. Asking about someone's sex life or income would be equally offensive, but that has never happened to me.
Who does that? Has every person that come up to you ask you about your sex life? If not, then what does that have to do with this conversation? That is that individual and what they believe is right but everyone is different. Just because that person does that doesn't make it right and doesn't mean everyone else who have the "same beliefs" will do the same.

Quote:
RE. door-to-door people, I find all of them equally annoying--which is one reason we don't answer the door unless we're expecting company.
I agree. I never disagreed with that and as a matter of fact if you look at my first response I explained how I agreed with the OP's feelings. No argument about that from me.

Quote:
Also, that quote from Scripture did support the particular point I was making regarding ostentatious, publicly led prayer. (I was not applying it to the larger issue.)
I know what you are referring to. The issue with the scripture is that it's being taken out of context. The scripture is talking about people who pray for show for their own glorification, it doesn't necessarily mean that you can't pray in public. There are instances when he prayed in public and during these times, he was praying for others (ex. Matthew 19:13-15).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:01 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I know what you are referring to. The issue with the scripture is that it's being taken out of context. The scripture is talking about people who pray for show for their own glorification, it doesn't necessarily mean that you can't pray in public. There are instances when he prayed in public and during these times, he was praying for others (ex. Matthew 19:13-15).
In this situation I would ask them to heed 1 Corinthians 14:34-35. Women are always welcome to pray in submissive silence in my presence. I will then offer wisdom and guidance.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:20 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
But don't you tell people about your beliefs all the time? You just told us what you do and do not believe. What's the difference? Because you don't want to hear it? Okay well walk away. If that's your feelings then that's something that people have to respect, but the next time you tell us what you think is right or wrong don't be surprised if someone does the same to you. If you find the "introduce me to Jesus" rude and insulting, then I think you have bigger issues. No one knows what you believe. It's no different than someone coming to you and telling you why they like Obama or Romney. Depending on who you like or don't like, I'm sure you wouldn't care for the other (or either if you don't like either one of them). Just tell them you don't want to hear it and move on. How hard is that?
No, I don't tell people about my beliefs all of the time. 90% of the people who know me would have no idea that I am an athiest. If the subject comes up, and specifically asked, I don't hide it; and I would just say, "I am an athiest", or "I don't believe in god". Saying that is, in no way, proselytizing. Why not? Because I have no intention of ever changing other's people's views. I respect other's beliefs and do not want to change them. 99% of my friends and family are religious, and about 20% of them are devout. I completely respect that. Why I am friends with them (besides the fact that they are good, nice people) is that not one of them has ever proselytized to me.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
No, I don't tell people about my beliefs all of the time. 90% of the people who know me would have no idea that I am an athiest. If the subject comes up, and specifically asked, I don't hide it; and I would just say, "I am an athiest", or "I don't believe in god". Saying that is, in no way, proselytizing. Why not? Because I have no intention of ever changing other's people's views. I respect other's beliefs and do not want to change them. 99% of my friends and family are religious, and about 20% of them are devout. I completely respect that. Why I am friends with them (besides the fact that they are good, nice people) is that not one of them has ever proselytized to me.
So if one of them proselytized to you, you would stop being friends with them?

Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I'd dig the novelty of a proselytizing atheist showing up at my door.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:42 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
So if one of them proselytized to you, you would stop being friends with them?
likely, yes. As I said, it is rude and insulting. It insinuates that their beliefs are better than mine; and I don't really want to friends with someone that doesn't respect others feelings.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 PM

What happened to the Hare Krishnas? At least with them you could get a free dinner out of the deal. I think the Moonies offered that as well. There are probably a few of them around here.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,141 times
Quote:
Because I have no intention of ever changing other's people's views. I respect other's beliefs and do not want to change them.
And people who want to share their faith with others disagree with you here, as you would expect if they were actually serious about what they believed (since we're discussing matters of ultimacy, not some personal preference or temporal cause). Now, some do it out of a desire to try to prove themselves to God or their cult or whatever, and some do it out of genuine concern for others - even if those they try to share with don't share that perspective. I understand why you wouldn't bother telling others what you believe unless asked, but I think it would be rather inconsistent for people who actually claim truth about eternal matters to keep silent. The problem for the receiver is that most of those claims are mutually exclusive, which results in people not wanting to listen to anyone. But alas, the church has faced this problem of subversive groups co-opting its message since the Gnostics of the 1st and 2nd centuries.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:55 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
It's all a little like arguing over whether pixies are blue or green, you know. To someone who understands that pixies don't exist to begin with, the whole debate is just a meaningless intrusion on time already being spent on more worthwhile things.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
likely, yes. As I said, it is rude and insulting. It insinuates that their beliefs are better than mine; and I don't really want to friends with someone that doesn't respect others feelings.
But if you are so sure and confident in what you believe then why can't you tell them that you don't want to hear it and move on? Why does it bother you so much? It seems as though it makes you uncomfortable, maybe even a bit insecure?

And by you not wanting to hear what they have to say doesn't that make it seems as though you believe your beliefs are better than theirs????? I mean if you didn't think your beliefs were better than theirs then you wouldn't be bothered by someone "trying" to change your beliefs, right? Look I know better than you know, don't try to tell me what is the truth I already know. To even try to tell me I'm wrong is rude and insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality