Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
However, ChristyGrl, one thing I did not write, that may be offensive to you, is that I do pray for the people I talk to -- not in their face but in my private moments. That may be very offensive to you.
Why would you think I would find that offensive?? I don't mind if you pray for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Why would you think I would find that offensive?? I don't mind if you pray for me.
Ah, you're sweet. Some people would be offended.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Ah, you're sweet. Some people would be offended.
I honestly don't know why that would offend anyone. Certainly if they don't believe in it...it shouldn't mean anything to them if someone does it...that's perplexing to me.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Like many, I also often find myself frustrated with the practice of Christianity as a 'religion', instead of a 'daily relationship' with God. It drives people away, who then proclaim, "I don't go to church because it is full of hypocrites." While that may be true, the grocery store is also full of hypocrites... and that doesn't stop people from eating. Focus your heart and life on Jesus Christ ... not on other people -- and you will discover something entirely different than is otherwise perceived as the 'religion' of Christianity.
There is a big difference between a grocery store and a church. In a grocery store - the other people aren't telling you what food to buy. They aren't saying that you have to buy the same exact food as they are buying or you'll go to grocery hell! I don't care if people around me are hypocrites if I don't know them and it has no influence on me. If it was only hypocrites that bothered me - I'd never leave the house. Big, big, big difference.

That being said, I enjoy talking to people about religion. I enjoy talking to people of all faiths - including Christians. Once in awhile, if it is someone whose only goal is to convert me, they will get very exasperated with me and walk away. But like I said - that only happens when a stranger has approached me with their only intent being to convert me. I'm always respectful, I'm always cordial, and I'm always honest. I've had some great talks with people about religion - and usually the enjoyment has been on both sides of the conversation. However, I've never had anybody tell me that I'm a disciple of Satan! I think that is giving me entirely too much credit!

Old 08-12-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't know why that would offend anyone. Certainly if they don't believe in it...it shouldn't mean anything to them if someone does it...that's perplexing to me.
Exactly.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Exactly.
My husband is still a Christian and he prays for me every morning before I leave for work and he prays before all of our meals...it doesn't bother me at all and it makes him feel good.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
My husband is still a Christian and he prays for me every morning before I leave for work and he prays before all of our meals...it doesn't bother me at all and it makes him feel good.
Wow. Just admit it: you are not average. You are something more than.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman6 View Post
I'll discuss religion with you. Although the chances are you may become offended by the truth that you are currently a disiciple of Satan and heading for eternal torment in hell.
You do not want to discuss, you want to preach and proselytize, that is conversion by fear, sell the fear, give fear the hard sell, and yes the weak will cave in to the fear. Fear is a very powerful human emotion, and those that lack of the ability to reason so empowers the fear mongers.

Without fear, religion is powerless.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Wow. Just admit it: you are not average. You are something more than.
Nope I'm just Christy...nothing special...really!

Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM

107 posts, read 151,418 times
ugh....what a loaded topic. I think there are some christians that are open minded. I haven't met them yet, but I think their there. I find the comment about you being a disciple of satan a little hilarious. Really...satan. Surely he or she would have better things to do with their time than be on a forum.

I think you should be true to yourself. Going to church is no guarantee of heaven, anymore than paying the catholic church absolves you of your sins. That being said I do think there are some genuinely good christians out there. Just keep your mind open and don't force it. You should be able to tell the difference between just a friendly christian or the "I will convert you or else, and your going to hell mentality."

I think the one poster about you being satan was what your not looking for. It's a bunch of hooey. Dont worry about it. Be a good person, decent neighbor, good parent, and love and be loved and it's all good. As for the Christian pushers...thank them, and move on with your life. Lifes to short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality