Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,867,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Why must people get their panties in a bunch over such a nice thing as Happy Holidays?
Because christians see the influence they have long had slipping away, and they are giving their death cry which is always the loudest. In 30 years we have seen gay marriage begin to be legalized,creationism struck done over and over,abortion legazlized and restrictions struck down, prayer in school banshied, and the holidays becoming more than just their holiday. Add to the mix the rapidly declining church poupulation and you get the attitude you see above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 PM

63,883 posts, read 40,157,333 times
The people who have made an issue of our traditional holidays having religious roots and have pressured our government and retailers, etc. to abandon them in the name of PC tolerance for diversity and fear of insulting others . . . are trouble making rabble-rousers with an over-developed sense of their own importance and the so-called self-righteous principles they claim to represent. Traditions are just that . . . traditions and there is no honor or dignity or decency in those self-righteous busy-bodies who insist on redefining them on some pseudo-sensitive constitutional separation of church and state basis.

Bah . . . humbug!!!]

Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,689,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Because christians see the influence they have long had slipping away, and they are giving their death cry which is always the loudest. In 30 years we have seen gay marriage begin to be legalized,creationism struck done over and over,abortion legazlized and restrictions struck down, prayer in school banshied, and the holidays becoming more than just their holiday. Add to the mix the rapidly declining church poupulation and you get the attitude you see above.
To be fair, prayer hasn't been banished in schools. Kids can pray whenever they like, it just can't be mandatory in public schools. But yes, I agree with where you're going with this.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The people who have made an issue of our traditional holidays having religious roots and have pressured our government and retailers, etc. to abandon them in the name of PC tolerance for diversity and fear of insulting others . . . are trouble making rabble-rousers with an over-developed sense of their own importance and the so-called self-righteous principles they claim to represent. Traditions are just that . . . traditions and there is no honor or dignity or decency in those self-righteous busy-bodies who insist on redefining them on some pseudo-sensitive constitutional separation of church and state basis.

Bah . . . humbug!!!]

Hmmm sounds like a certain religious group if you ask me.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Hmmm sounds like a certain religious group if you ask me.
Hmmmm sounds like an anti-American culture and denier/reviser of history and TRADITIONS that are part and parcel of American culture. It seems that respect for cultural differences and diversity applies only to other NON-American cultures. I repeat . . .Bah . . . humbug.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm sounds like an anti-American culture and denier/reviser of history and TRADITIONS that are part and parcel of American culture. It seems that respect for cultural differences and diversity applies only to other NON-American cultures. I repeat . . .Bah . . . humbug.

Many cultural differences are respected here, and as posted before other beliefs have holidays centered in the same time frame so why should it be dominated by only one group?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:22 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,198,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I start laughing just thinking about that episode! Sigh...
Seinfeld was a strange and awesome show. The show about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
That would be "Festivus, for the Rest of Us..."

And I agree -- that episode was G R E A T !
You can't go wrong with the Festivus episode if somebody needs a laugh.

Quote:
yes the philippines...the place where on easter people actually nail themselves to the cross...
I did a post on universalist Martin Zender's Crucifakers once. Pretty bizarre.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:48 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,647,275 times
Quote:
In that same vein, what exactly IS American culture? There have always been people of different faiths (or non-faith as the case may be) and different cultures that have lived in America. Everyone celebrates in their own way and I think THAT is what makes up our cultures. Why be exclusive during the holiday season? My Mother is American and she never celebrated Christmas... does that make her unAmerican?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Many cultural differences are respected here, and as posted before other beliefs have holidays centered in the same time frame so why should it be dominated by only one group?
Oh . . . I don't know . . . maybe because it is an AMERICAN TRADITION and we are in AMERICA! Pretending that it is not an American tradition (despite the historical reality) because it has religious roots is revisionist nonsense based on self-righteous so-called PC principles that undermine our freedoms rather than honor them. No one is prevented from celebrating whatever other traditions they wish. But to demand that we eradicate our American ones . . . because other traditions don't like it or supposedly are offended by it (i've met very few people who are offended by it . . . other than here and among the rabble-rousers for diversity). Using the standard of offense AS SEEN by the offendee . . . is the road to perdition. We have objective rules about what can be considered offense against another and they do not (or should not) include the capricious and subjective feelings of the offendee.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
In that same vein, what exactly IS American culture? There have always been people of different faiths (or non-faith as the case may be) and different cultures that have lived in America. Everyone celebrates in their own way and I think THAT is what makes up our cultures. Why be exclusive during the holiday season? My Mother is American and she never celebrated Christmas... does that make her unAmerican?
Straw man argumentation. Of course it does nothing to change her status . . . but it does mean that she did not partake of the Traditional American holidays as reflected in our cultural history. . . . which is VERY American. We have always been free from governmental imposition of rules about celebrating whatever we want to celebrate or not celebrate. This PC evil has turned that on its head because they do not like the dominant cultural traditions, period. There is no RIGHT to have your celebrations recognized or participated in . You simply have the FREEDOM to celebrate them. What the majority do is none of your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality