Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:11 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Biblical passages such as Deuteronomy 11:19 has always been puzzling to me. Many Christians have used such passages as justification to drill their brand of Christianity into the heads of their children (without thought) as something noble. My question is, WHY are parents required to do this? Clearly, a parent will teach their children their flavor of belief and besides, isn't it telling that kids have to be TAUGHT god??? If, as some claim, belief in god is innate, but we suppress it because of our "evil nature," why aren't we left to discover god on our own, whenever and if ever?
If not the parents, who?

In the secular sense, who has control over the education of your children? You or the teachers at school?

If you answered, "the teachers," then you're guilty of shifting your parental responsibilities off onto a third party and denying that you are the ultimate authority.

Isn't it the same with religious instruction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 07:38 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Of course he isn't. His guess is as good as mine....
Yeah, I find that interesting. I'm completely wrong...probably!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:07 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If there isn't, there is nothing to be lost by thinking there might be.
Then you are saying nothing is gained, either?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Humans are born with a capacity for language, but it's still a good idea to speak to your baby in your own language and try to get them to speak it. They might develop some sense of "God" on their own without instruction, but perhaps it would just be the equivalent of babbling without any supervision or communication. (Yes I know "all theism is babbling", but still...)

Perhaps is the flaw in this statement. Perhaps you are correct, perhaps you are wrong. The statement does not stand on its own.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:31 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,549 times
InsaneInDaMembrane asked... why aren't we left to discover god on our own, whenever and if ever?

That's an interesting question and one that I think probably has many psychological answers. In general, my guess is that parents who feel the need to pass on their religion to their kids do it because they have a strong emotional need for religion in their lives.

They feel that if they do not pass on their religious beliefs then they are leaving something out that would make their children vulnerable in life. They believe that they themselves would be missing an essential component in their lives, be it morality, kinship, etc., and that by not passing it on, they would not be fulfilling their parental responsibilities.

Parents also pass along many things that they have been conditioned to accept from their own parents, rightly or wrongly so. Spanking and physical abuse is one example. The things we see and hear from our parents are considered to be the truth and acceptable. Developing biases against other religions, from the things we hear our parents say, is another example.

That's not to say that we can't make up our own minds as we get older, however difficult that may seem. Many of us are able to reassess things in our lives that differ from what we may have been taught early on.

Last edited by nezlie; 01-29-2011 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Nothing except credibility, time, money, and trust.
Credibility? Neither of us will know the other was wrong until we're dead, and then it won't matter.

Time? Money? The time and money I spend is invested in others. You got a problem with that?

Trust? See credibility above.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:41 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Then you are saying nothing is gained, either?
Depends on whether a god actually exists.

If there is a God, the reward is great if you believe and the punishment is great if you do not.

If God doesn't exist, it doesn't matter either way.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Probably? You're not sure?
That's correct, I'm not sure. Anything is possible, including the possibility that god doesn't exist - a stance spiritual, religious (and therefore close minded) people will never take.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:59 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If not the parents, who?

In the secular sense, who has control over the education of your children? You or the teachers at school?

If you answered, "the teachers," then you're guilty of shifting your parental responsibilities off onto a third party and denying that you are the ultimate authority.

Isn't it the same with religious instruction?
Sort of. Board of education members are elected by the parents. So, in a sense, the teachers are controlled by the parents. Parents have the ultimate authority to educate their children privately (in which case they're paying twice).

Old 01-29-2011, 12:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That's correct, I'm not sure. Anything is possible, including the possibility that god doesn't exist - a stance spiritual, religious (and therefore close minded) people will never take.
Not true. I'm completely willing to admit that God may not exist, and if he doesn't, it doesn't matter if I believe or not. It only matters if he does, so I believe for that reason alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality