Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Are you being naive. Parents can be surrigate or adopted-adopting for that. In many ways, parents are necessary for being-there for their children's lives. But God is the value the child cannot be Brought to understand without his own meaning from lessons. What is instilled is always the tautology: I must do what I got to do, and the double standards for teh identity of Who I Am.
You make it sound as if it would be impossible for someone brought up as an atheist to develop a spiritual outlook of any kind. It isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I see yours did a bang up job, you have even boasted about not going to their funeral.

well, you know...

they WERE atheists....

their values weren't worth adopting, so I didn't.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That's not even remotely comparable. You already have established facts involved into that equation: You go to work, you get paid.

Where are those established facts in your chosen belief system?

There's no guarantee that I'll be paid even when I work. But the odds are pretty good, and worth taking the risk.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
And going to work is a commitment. Since you appear to resist commitment I am surprised that you haven't searched for and found another thing that brings you reward.
What's wrong with "commitment"? Going to work, by the way, is just something I do, it keeps me from being bored.

Should I go out and do something else that offers financial reward, but with more risk of punishment? Of course not, it's about avoiding punishment.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What's wrong with "commitment"? Going to work, by the way, is just something I do, it keeps me from being bored.

Should I go out and do something else that offers financial reward, but with more risk of punishment? Of course not, it's about avoiding punishment.
Your entire attitude and manner of thinking is beyond acknowledgment by any thinking person, believer or non-believer. Cowardly, in fact, along with an enormous dose of ego.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,747 times
Quote:
There's no guarantee that I'll be paid even when I work. But the odds are pretty good, and worth taking the risk.

Nope, not worth taking the risk. Unless, you're saving the planet.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:06 AM

Why isn't it? If I work, I get to eat. I get to have a place to live.

I don't work, I get to have neither of those things. So it's beneficial to do so.

Let's come up with another extreme example. Let's say that they hold a contest, and all you have to do to win a shiny new car is believe that 2+2=5. Can you "believe" that...pay it lip service? Now, let's add a little catch, if you refuse to agree that 2+2=5, you are killed within an hour of the offer being made.

Is it any harder to simply "believe" whatever someone wants you to believe?

I took an oath when I joined the military, I said the words they wanted me to say, but in my head I was thinking "whatever..."

They didn't worry about what I thought, as long as I verbally expressed the oath, and agreed to take said oath. I never had to say that I was going to live and die by it, and there's no way I would. But I can pay it lip service, why not?

Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
Quote:

I don't work, I get to have neither of those things. So it's beneficial to do so.

Let's come up with another extreme example. Let's say that they hold a contest, and all you have to do to win a shiny new car is believe that 2+2=5. Can you "believe" that...pay it lip service? Now, let's add a little catch, if you refuse to agree that 2+2=5, you are killed within an hour of the offer being made.

I took an oath when I joined the military, I said the words they wanted me to say, but in my head I was thinking "whatever..."

They didn't worry about what I thought, as long as I verbally expressed the oath, and agreed to take said oath. I never had to say that I was going to live and die by it, and there's no way I would. But I can pay it lip service, why not?

Gee, finally! An admission that you are a liar indicating that nothing you say or claim to believe should be listened to since it is probably false.

Nice of you to clear that up.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:14 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,747 times
Quote:

And then there are some who say that the recent accomplished prosperity which has come to life on the post-occident Humanly developed Earth should be taken advantage of. We can work less and not hinder the natural tendency for surviving the planet. On the local front there were candidates for mayor who actually promoted lose life and frivolity for the youth. Figure that.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
And then there are some who say that the recent accomplished prosperity which has come to life on the post-occident Humanly developed Earth should be taken advantage of. We can work less and not hinder the natural tendency for surviving the planet. On the local front there were candidates for mayor who actually promoted lose life and frivolity for the youth. Figure that.
Prosperity requires continued hard work--by someone. If you can get by not working and taking advantage of those who do, that's your call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality