Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
There's a third possibility you don't bother to mention: The god you worship is not the one that exists. Therefore, you're still getting it wrong and you may actually have something to lose. You're still basically randomly gambling and trying to make it sound like an informed decision.
Obviously, if there is any god, that must be the one I had been worshipping. I'm not omniscient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Yet according to the belief system you stated, this all knowing "god" of your punishes those that do not believe, yet is fooled into accepting you because you pretend to believe, just in case?

Quite a belief system you have there.

No...because I CHOOSE to believe based on the odds, rather than "just because". Blind faith is less valuable than a conscious decision.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:40 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No...because I CHOOSE to believe based on the odds, rather than "just because". Blind faith is less valuable than a conscious decision.
So you choose?

Does that make you choice more valid or truer than anyone elses?

Does it satisfy this god of yours that you choose to attempt to fool it make it worth redemption?

Does it mean that you think parents should be impelled to teach such a belief system?

In yuor reply, please attempt to stick to the topic.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
So you choose?

Does that make you choice more valid or truer than anyone elses?

Does it satisfy this god of yours that you choose to attempt to fool it make it worth redemption?

Does it mean that you think parents should be impelled to teach such a belief system?

In yuor reply, please attempt to stick to the topic.
the active is always a better option than the passive.

it doesn't mean it was the RIGHT action, or make it more valid, but it's better than passively "knowing" or "not knowing".

parents can teach whatever they like, it does not mean that the offspring have to adopt their beliefs. the offspring may CHOOSE to do so, but it isn't necessary. my own parents were stridently atheist, like some on the thread here, and abusive and nasty people not worthy of emulation.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:06 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:

it doesn't mean it was the RIGHT action, or make it more valid, but it's better than passively "knowing" or "not knowing".

parents can teach whatever they like, it does not mean that the offspring have to adopt their beliefs. the offspring may CHOOSE to do so, but it isn't necessary. my own parents were stridently atheist, like some on the thread here, and abusive and nasty people not worthy of emulation.
Wait a minute here. What is that commandment? Honor Thy
Father And Mother?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:47 PM

Is it necessary to obey ANY of the commandments?

I don't believe so.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:

You truly are full of assumptions which may be correct for you but be nonsense to others. You don't stake out a position, you seem to equivocate, claiming to chose only that which you deem to most benefit you.

If there truly is a god, you would be doomed by this action.

If there truly is no god, your actions are cowardly and silly.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 PM

Of course I can only speak of what most benefits me.

It is not my place to speak for other people, or is it anyone else's place to speak for me.

The understanding that I have is only that belief is necessary. The reasoning or qualifiers for that belief are unimportant.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Obviously, if there is any god, that must be the one I had been worshipping. I'm not omniscient.
Wrong and that kind of thinking shows a huge lack of imagination on your part. Considering the near endless possibilities in regards to what constitutes a higher power and its possible involvement with our lives, you have basically thrown a dart randomly and latched onto it. The reality is that if there is a higher power, it may not even remotely resemble anything you have chosen to worship. You don't have to be omniscient to understand that.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:12 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
And how exactly have you quantified the odds on something you have no evidence for to begin with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality