Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

In the largest study of its kind, researchers found that having people pray for heart bypass surgery patients had no effect on their recovery. In fact, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a slightly higher rate of complications.

So much for the power of prayer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
In the largest study of its kind, researchers found that having people pray for heart bypass surgery patients had no effect on their recovery. In fact, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a slightly higher rate of complications.

So much for the power of prayer...
Who were these people praying?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Said from a position of ignorance.
That isn't a position of ignorance. Humans do all the work, but according religions like christianity, god deserves all the credit.

The work of humans is what saves humanity. Prayers are useless. A lot of believers like to degrade themselves and attribute their own successes to that of an invisible man rather than their own hard work and the work of other people.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Power of prayer flunks an unusual test - Health - Heart health - msnbc.com

Old 04-07-2011, 01:13 AM

912 posts, read 827,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Blue Hue: So to you, prayer is similar to meditation? I agree that it's a good idea to just ruminate on what it will take for you to get it together, what needs to be taken care of and coming to terms with as much as possible. There is no need to inject any religion or spirituality into it.
Yes: constructive meditation in my opinion is very much, a form of prayer.

The meditative is interested in quality in existence and there-bye
offers dignity to self . Acceptance of ones life by way of working with.... the organization of the human body.

Meditation... an explicit remark declaring intentional worthiness to self not without appreciation..in light of imperfection.

In general meditation... the items of strong emotion in human survival are identified . Through breathing techniques by and large the strong emotional thoughts concerning survival are depreciated. A stillness within self is desired & achieved.

The concept or idea of self , less the assertion of physical and emotional need, would be in high compliment by virtue of...intentional focus.

A calm or peace in the acute un-disturbed focus ......perception undisturbed

The substance of self is in view. A tribute to the idea of self. A tribute to the creation in the... concept of self. An intimate & mutual co..operation in ones becoming.

Without abject rejection in all that is . Constructive allegiance
together in both the... concept and reality... of oneself without
abdication of imperfect setting is in motion.

In my earlier post today , it was commented..
"it would be necessary to comprehend a Source to creation for any sort of prayer"

In meditation a reality is uncovered in the absence of the materiality of human survival. All fear is dismantled..a new dimension in existence surface's.
The quantity of order or...lack of disorder unveils a defined association alongside the essence of order. The ultimate essence of order is then in appreciation.

The appreciation is defenceless... "by way"... of a non-actualized definitive cause... of order.

A Source in Appreciation.

An appreciation emerging from a simplicity of imperfection.
With earnest, a good prayer. A good practice as well as we are creatures of habit. The body slowly but proportionately follows in-voluntarily the achieved momentum in calm.

Anyway...for a soft landing in post... when we look up at the night sky and notice the stars, my opinion is that , its the order which compels the appreciation.

Order in allowance for.. existence.... finding its way to our being through site. A natural gesture like many others, always waiting to dispel a little of that dis-order

Last edited by Blue Hue; 04-07-2011 at 02:39 AM..

Old 04-07-2011, 05:49 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
I already posted that link, clearly you didnt take the time to read it.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Exactly!
You just said, exactly to her post about most prayers being for favors or requests for something, yet argued with me about most being the same things, wish lists.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Why? Because that's your experience?

Does that not also apply to you?

So was I. Based on the evidence, I made a choice.

Only evidence is in your own mind.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
No, and I said so earlier.

The bolded is a spiritual prayer. "Give us this day our daily bread..."

Really, you think that is what she said, I heard her clearly " Dear god, please help me get my car fixed, I need money I am broke" I told her to get a second job, her god wouldn't send her a money order.

Seriously you are deluded if you think asking for things for yourself is spiritual.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I find it interesting that god does nothing but wants all the credit.
Not really, I mean come on the 10 commandments, the first four are based on his ego. Worship me or go to hell. Really no surprise he wants credit for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality