Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 02:27 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Not really. The chimp, Nim Chimpsky, that was taught "sign language" was taught words but wasn't able to grasp the syntax of language that humans grasp. When Nim Chimpsky was evaluated by native Deaf signers, it became clearly obvious that the chimp wasn't able to construct an infinite number of sentences through the usage of syntax the way human signers are.

That said, I do believe animals can and do communicate. I just don't think it's through the mechanism of human language. I believe their communication is just as nuanced, but it's a whole different medium.

I also am not sure that language acquisition is proof for the presence of spirit. After all, computers can produce language to a higher degree than Nim Chimpsky (think translation software, screen reading software) and yet many animals who don't have language do show signs of having emotions. For example, a lot of dogs experience separation anxiety when their owners leave them. Personally I believe animals, just like humans, do have spirits.
Well, obviously these animals are not as intelligent as humans, but my point was that they have the capacity to reason, create tools, learn, have emotions, etc. It's obviously not going to be as complex as humans; but they have some of these features to a certain capacity.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:02 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,592,697 times
A " Spirit" is really " Protozoan God", or something that was in God, that is now " Outside of him", and in the case of humanity, it is now placed within them. The Spirit in man is protozoan God. We have blood running throughout our body, a crude example, but so it is with God and Spirit, its all in him. Thats what he is - Spirit, and Spirit in a massive powerful existence. God is very powerful, off any scale; yet his awesome power is dictated by his nature of Love; we are VERY fortunate of that! He is not prone to " Hissy fits", his temperment does not match anything human. And I, for one, am glad of that. If God were immature and evil, his temperment could crack the very fiber of existence; he IS the fiber of existence. And thats what Spirit is, a fiber of existence.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:06 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Hello Mickiel.
Here's a couple of videos you might find of interest.

DR. QUANTUM - DOUBLE SLIT EXPERIMENT - YouTube

Dr. Quantum - The Real Self behind the Ego (caught by science) - YouTube

The science of our daily emotional states - YouTube

Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 PM

Default What is a "Spirit"?

A spirit is personality that does not have physical form.

I'am certainly unsure as to when the spirit actually leaves the body. I think the spirit remains willing/standby for "Humpty Dumpty" to be put back together, physiological death seems mostly bound/limited by us.
In this instance, Dog Stays by Masters Side During Funeral, I think the spirit is still with the remains and the dog knows it.
Navy SEAL's Dog Mourns Master | NBC San Diego

Old 08-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
A spirit is personality that does not have physical form.

I'am certainly unsure as to when the spirit actually leaves the body. I think the spirit remains willing/standby for "Humpty Dumpty" to be put back together, physiological death seems mostly bound/limited by us.
In this instance, Dog Stays by Masters Side During Funeral, I think the spirit is still with the remains and the dog knows it.
Navy SEAL's Dog Mourns Master | NBC San Diego

I watched the links you posted, interesting. Interesting how the dog slept by the casket also. Touching moment for sure. However I still doubt that the Spirit " In man", remains in there after death. The Spirit is the Life in my view, not the death. What is death would be an interesting topic post, I believe God has the spirit of dead humans in " A place of his choosing"; stored, so to speak. The body will rot and nothing but bones will be left, I see no reason for spirits to stay in bones, in some casket, in the ground. That would be a waste of energy, because the spirit is energy, and energy needs to be stored if it is not being used.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I watched the links you posted, interesting. Interesting how the dog slept by the casket also. Touching moment for sure. However I still doubt that the Spirit " In man", remains in there after death. The Spirit is the Life in my view, not the death. What is death would be an interesting topic post, I believe God has the spirit of dead humans in " A place of his choosing"; stored, so to speak. The body will rot and nothing but bones will be left, I see no reason for spirits to stay in bones, in some casket, in the ground. That would be a waste of energy, because the spirit is energy, and energy needs to be stored if it is not being used.
Well one thing's for certain the dog is in mourning. I wonder, if allowed, just how long the dog would have stayed @ his best friends side in mourning ?!

Old 08-25-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Well one thing's for certain the dog is in mourning. I wonder, if allowed, just how long the dog would have stayed @ his best friends side in mourning ?!

Not being there, its hard to say. But I do believe the dog could have chosen anywhere in that building to lay down, he choose next to the casket. Its defintely a moment to remember, moreso than to explain. I know elephants mourn their dead and show definte respect for them. I think its instinctual, but yet still moving.

Espically when you consider this; when animals show more respect for the dead than some humans do, that speaks for itself.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Not being there, its hard to say. But I do believe the dog could have chosen anywhere in that building to lay down, he choose next to the casket. Its defintely a moment to remember, moreso than to explain. I know elephants mourn their dead and show definte respect for them. I think its instinctual, but yet still moving.

Espically when you consider this; when animals show more respect for the dead than some humans do, that speaks for itself.
What does it speak of the humans who believe these animals don't have consciousness (spirit)?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What does it speak of the humans who believe these animals don't have consciousness (spirit)?

Well I don't know, I certainly don't believe animals have conscious spirit in them. Consciousness is just not important in animals. I see no reason why God would give animals consciousness, they don't need it. If they had consciousness, this world wouldnot be as it is, many of them would rebel against mankind for sure.

Then we would see a real planet of the apes, planet of the dogs, and planet of the rats.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Well I don't know, I certainly don't believe animals have conscious spirit in them. Consciousness is just not important in animals. I see no reason why God would give animals consciousness, they don't need it. If they had consciousness, this world wouldnot be as it is, many of them would rebel against mankind for sure.

Then we would see a real planet of the apes, planet of the dogs, and planet of the rats.
So if we discover a smarter beings than us, we would lose our consciousness? Also look at the Christian scriptures... there are instances where people are compared to sheep. Does that mean such people are lacking consciousness? If animals don't have consciousness, why did God order Noah to get one pair of each kind? They would have survived, after all, or recreated like anything else?

But more importantly, do you consider an "unconscious person" to be lacking spirit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality