Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:01 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,810,767 times

Advertisements

As someone else posted, it's a fetus. Not a baby. Please check your definitions. A baby does not live in the womb. It's impossible to answer the question asked.

"It's alright to kill a baby"? Never.
"It's alright to terminate a fetus"? That's up to the mother and/or the couple. I refuse to answer that question for all people. I have my conscience and others have theirs. I resent people trying to legislate their beliefs.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:11 PM

63,944 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Default It's okay to kill a baby in the womb when ________

Legally: Before the third trimester.
Morally: Never . . . it is an immoral non-solution to what is a moral problem.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:40 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,434,465 times
Why is terminating a fetus immoral?

Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,916,040 times
You may see abortion as being evil, but it is a neccesary evil.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:48 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,007,704 times
Since when is everyone supposed to live forever?

Old 11-09-2011, 05:50 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,934,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I believe the "casual birth control" user would definitely be the outlier.
Would you want someone who used abortion as such to give birth? Imagine the life of the child.
Who are you punishing with that stance?
How does one determine that this is the motivation?
It becomes quite a slippery slope.
I think we're actually on the same page, chielgirl. I definitely would not want to see the abortion option be simply up to the mother if she were using it for casual birth control means.

But I think she'd also have to know this legality before she got involved in that way, as in "Don't! You may not have the options you think you do!". If pregnancy results from such an "inappropriate social event" up in Canada for instance, the mother can then just go "have it fixed", no problems, no holdbacks, no reprimands.

Do you disagree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Can somebody explain why it makes a difference if the pregnancy is the result of rape, incest or spousal abuse?
Well, it's then not the specific result of someone's casual and inappropriate social behavior where there was probably no serious thought given as to the consequences to everyone who is then legally forced to go to term. It's clearly both a criminal and sociopathic event that will result in some serious psychological, and potentially physiological problems if, for instance, a child is the victim.

All in all, it's a problem. Always.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:53 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,934,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
As someone else posted, it's a fetus. Not a baby. Please check your definitions. A baby does not live in the womb. It's impossible to answer the question asked.

"It's alright to kill a baby"? Never.
"It's alright to terminate a fetus"? That's up to the mother and/or the couple. I refuse to answer that question for all people. I have my conscience and others have theirs. I resent people trying to legislate their beliefs.
Very true. We cannot, and should not, try to legislate human behavior. This is always ineffective.

"Thou shalt not have illicit sexual relations! The SHAME! Especially before being married in the church! Now, as always, my children, go with God!"

Old 11-09-2011, 06:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,566,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
FILL IN THE BLANK: It's okay to kill a baby in the womb when ________....
According to your ancient superstition, your god has killed millions of babies and pregnant women.

What do we have here, a little do as I say, not as I do hypocrisy?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:45 PM

869 posts, read 1,496,738 times
I dont believe in abortion as a viable option for an "unexpected" pregnancy for myself, but as an american and as a woman (disregard the screen name), i refuse to take the right to decide away from a woman. My son was unexpected, me and my husband had only been dating for about 6 months when I got pregnant, we have now been together for 6 years and my son is 4. I chose to keep him because i chose to get pregnant, but that isnt the right choice for everyone. Rape, incest, poverty stricken, disease, defect, or just personal choice. a woman should not be obligated to give birth to an unwanted child. A previous poster asked about cancer and pregnancy. My mother was being treated for cancer but she was diagnosed during her pregnancy when she was 11 weeks. the dr encouraged her to end her pregnancy so they could remove the cancerous part of her cervix because the pregnancy hormones would have made it worse. My own grandmother wanted her to get an abortion, was very angry with her for her decision, as i am here writing she obviously didnt have an abortion. but if she had, noone would have held it against her. The mother who is alive and potentially has other children to care for is the first priority over an unviable fetus anyway. But no matter how you feel morally, religiously, or personally, it is her decision not yours unless its your child.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 PM

63,944 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Why is terminating a fetus immoral?
Because it selfishly objectifies a human life and negates all its potential . . . everything that it might ever uniquely be or do . . . in favor of the existing mother's immediate preferences and concerns. It morally denigrates and deletes all that makes us human and differentiates us from animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.