Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I noticed you didn't answer my question. They, in the time of Christ, knew the story of Noah was real or Christ would not have spoken of it as a real story based on fact.
You incorrectly assume what is written was exactly his alleged words. Reality is most of the authenticity and content of the gospels are embellished stories. It is more likely he could have been an apostate person telling folk it was all BS and that to find heaven, you simply have to look within.

He wrote nothing down personally and the idea of a scribe following him around like a roving reporter does not come across.

These are NOT eyewitness accounts.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It is my opinion that people like you who are absolutely convinced and preach that the impossible Noah's ark story and other impossibilities in the bible are true is one of the greatest factors in the growth of atheism/agnosticism in the western world today....For this I thank you....Please keep up this good work.

This is the reason I abandoned Christianity long ago...
I'm so glad I could help.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
You incorrectly assume what is written was exactly his alleged words. Reality is most of the authenticity and content of the gospels are embellished stories. It is more likely he could have been an apostate person telling folk it was all BS and that to find heaven, you simply have to look within.

He wrote nothing down personally and the idea of a scribe following him around like a roving reporter does not come across.

These are NOT eyewitness accounts.
I'm glad you wrote: "he could have been. . . ."

What they wrote about Christ is true. What Christ said is true. Just because you don't believe it does not mean it isn't. That is just your problem. Millions of highly intelligent people around the world would disagree with you. That in itself does not make the New Testament or Old Testament right, but I say that to show you that you are in a minority and a very very very teeny tiny minority at that.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
I'm glad you wrote: "he could have been. . . ."

What they wrote about Christ is true. What Christ said is true. Just because you don't believe it does not mean it isn't. That is just your problem. Millions of highly intelligent people around the world would disagree with you. That in itself does not make the New Testament or Old Testament right, but I say that to show you that you are in a minority and a very very very teeny tiny minority at that.
I would rather be ONE person who is against millions of such intelligent people. Having said that, bed time stories have been known to have thru generations. That doesn't make them "true".

Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It is my opinion that people like you who are absolutely convinced and preach that the impossible Noah's ark story and other impossibilities in the bible are true is one of the greatest factors in the growth of atheism/agnosticism in the western world today....For this I thank you....Please keep up this good work.

This is the reason I abandoned Christianity long ago...
One thing that boggles my mind is:

There are people who refuse to believe in the absurd myths of other religions, and rightly so.

And yet, those same people turn around and completely believe in the equally absurd myths of their own religion.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
I'm glad you said "of the theory." Otherwise I'd have thought you lost it completely.
That would be scientific theory. Evolution itself IS a fact. The scientific theory of evolution explains how it works. A theory in science isn't the same as a hunch, bubba.

Quote:
Not really. I never told God what He had to do or not do. God doesn't need a magic wand. He has powers unknown to you. The bible doesn't ever say Noah took a crap, but I'm sure he did. God could have conveyed the animals to Noah by means of people bringing them. I say "could" because I don't have absolute proof.
Yes, but then of course God could have also just killed off all the so-called wicked people of the world with a single word or thought and saved Noah the trouble of building the ark and gathering up all those animals.

Face it when it comes to doing God like things your sad little Biblical tribal totem is woefully UN-intelligent and incompetent. Not very impressive in the "supreme being" department at all.

Quote:
Of course you doubt it. Doubters do that you know. Why is it I and many thousands if not millions of well educated people believe he could do it? Maybe you should ask yourself that some day.
Because you and they are NOT well educated? If you were you'd know the true origins of your Bible and its god, and the flood MYTH.

Quote:
Who says the correct food couldn't have been available? Only you. Maybe he freeze dried it. They've been doing that for thousands of years in the Andes. Think!
Riiigght and an unladen swallow (European, of course) could carry a five pound coconut...

Freeze dried? Seriously? You HAVE to be a Poe. But FYI, even freeze dried food takes up space...

Quote:
The story of Noah works.
Works as a plagiarized fantasy story, yes.

Quote:
Those make-believe stories of monkey carrying mountains were just as believed back then as the story of Santa today. Noah's story was always believed as factual.
Uh huh. Just as people believed that lightning bolts were thrown by Zeus was factual or that the sun was being pulled across the sky in a chariot...

Face it. People back then were as ignorant and gullible as children and believed ridiculous things.

Quote:
Oh brother.
Where art Thou?

Quote:
Actually you should see how foolish your argument is. Let's see, Santa is not real so the story of Lindburgh flying across the Atlantic can't be real. That is your kind of logic.
No, Lindbergh's flight is within the factual limits of real-world laws and physics. Santa, Noah's ark and global floods are not. Sorry.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:37 PM

526 posts, read 692,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
It is interesting how human-like this god really is.

The further one goes back in time, by studying older texts, the more human the gods become; till they drop behind human level and appear as wicked inhuman creatures.
Anyway, since we discuss the flood story I would like to bring to your and the other guys attention the following detail of the story.

When at the end of the flood event everybody came out of the ark…

And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord; and took of every clean beast, and every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.
And the Lord smelled a sweet savor. (Gen.8:20-21)

God enjoyed the smell of the roast beef!

In the epic of Gilgamesh, however, in tablet XI Utnapishtim (the Sumerian Noah) says the following:

Then I let out (all) to the four winds
And offered a sacrifice.
I poured out a libation on the top of the mountain.
Seven and seven cult vessels I set up,
Upon their pot-stands I heaped cane, cedarwood, and myrtle.

The gods smelled the savor,
The gods smelled the sweet savor,
The gods crowded like flies about the sacrificer.

The reason for this behavior of the gods was the fact that the humans having drowned in the flood, there was nobody left to feed the gods!!

The redactors of the Torah texts could have eliminated the ungodly reference to the… sweet savor but the beauty of the Old Testament is exactly its respect for the tradition.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 PM

526 posts, read 692,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
One thing that boggles my mind is:

There are people who refuse to believe in the absurd myths of other religions, and rightly so.

And yet, those same people turn around and completely believe in the equally absurd myths of their own religion.
It is like reading Campbell:

And though man who bow with closed eyes in the sanctuaries of their own tradition rationally scrutinize and disqualify the sacraments of others, an honest comparison immediately reveals that all have been built from one fund of mythological motifs –variously selected, organized, interpreted, and ritualized, according to local need, but revered by every people on earth.

Only Campbell failed to rationally explain the source of the original fund of mythological motifs.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
That would be scientific theory. Evolution itself IS a fact. The scientific theory of evolution explains how it works. A theory in science isn't the same as a hunch, bubba.
In the case of evolution it is all based on beautiful paintings of cells coming out of pond skum like a teeny slithering reptile. Then the paintings show little chimps to larger, larger still, larger still to erect hominoids to, whalla! modern day humans! All based on fanciful imagination. Not one bit of evidence whatsoever. No, not even a little. No actual proof.

Quote:
No, Lindbergh's flight is within the factual limits of real-world laws and physics. Noah's ark and global floods are not. Sorry.
Some scientists would disagree with you on that last statement. It obviously worked or you would not be here. At least I have historic evidence of Noah's ark and the world-wide flood. You have nothing but theories of evolution based on fancy imaginations run wild.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I would rather be ONE person who is against millions of such intelligent people. Having said that, bed time stories have been known to have thru generations. That doesn't make them "true".
It was never presented as a bed time story in the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.