Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:32 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I'm not sure who the old people are but that's been my experience with the people I've seen in church mostly.
Thanks for the award but I don't know why you think I'm stereotyping people. Care to explain?
Sounds like you can dish out whatever you want but when someone doesn't say what you want them to say, you can't take it and you're the one doing the stereotyping.
I was joking, sorry I offended you. I just was responding to your post...

Quote:
The old people get scared that they don't have a lot of time left on earth and think they are going to hell so they are hedging there bets with God, hoping to get into heaven. Notice that most of the people you see in church are old?
It says that most people in church are old and that old people get scared and go to church.

Saw-ree---won't happen again....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 11:46 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
And that's sad song, I honestly believe if more young folks were involved, we could change the church back to the one Jesus expects us to be. I'm 37, and hate that it's gonna be about 30 years before I have a lot of people my age to go to church with. I guess then we'll go climb in the pews and complain like we're being taught by our elders, ya think?

If you went to church, there would be at least one personthere your age for the next person who might want to come.

The only person that can move Christ's church forward has a picture of themselves in your bathroom mirror.
I was raised in church. I've been to several, several churches in my life. It's never done anything for me. I think that having God in my life works for me. I don't need a church full of people trying to pull me into there way of thinking.
I respect what others believe and that's another reason I choose not to go to church because the other people do not. People seem to want to preach to me. I don't need that. I don't agree with everything the Christians say and since I believe in God, I don't agree with everything the Atheists say but I don't run anybody down. Some Christians seem to be famous for that and that's why church is a turnoff.
I'm not one to go to church and turn it into some kind of competition to see how many people I can convert but yet you and others are giving me the impression that this is your goal.
I don't think church is important but that's my opinion.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:49 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
God does not sit idly by and watch all of this through a t.v. screen waiting for someone to call Him.

He actively seeks us out. All of us. I know I can look back at my life before I really dedicated my life to Jesus and see where He was trying to get my attention, but, for one reason or another, I ignored Him.

What makes us turn around and say, oh, God I'm ready to be yours now. I don't know, it is different for each individual.

What I do know is that I got a restless feeling, wondering what life is all about, is this all there is? And I began to look around and notice others, trying to see if they felt as I did. I saw many who did feel that way, others who just stayed stoned and partied all the time, keeping their brains focused on the weekend when they could go out and get drunk, have sex, do whatever. I knew I did not want that scene. Yet, I saw others, both young and old who were so at peace with whatever came up. Rich and poor alike, they always seemed happy and content. The difference was there to see, I just had to look.

God shines through His believers, and when we really seek to see a difference in people, we will start to notice that believers, true believers are the most content. They live their lives and without really knowing it, they are shining the light of Christ with their actions, words, just their everyday living. They don't go around preaching to people, or getting angry with people who do not believe as they do. They just live their lives....and are there for all of us to see.

That planted a seed within me, and I kept it in the back of my mind. One day, I picked up my Bible and started to read...the more I read, the more I wanted to read...I ended up getting a NIV Study Bible so I could understand what I was reading. I purchased a Concordance....I was craving knowledge of something greater than I had ever imagined...The more I read, and understood, the more I wanted....

I had thought I was a Christian, and I do believe I was when I gave my life to Christ at the age of 14. But, I didn't grow...I stayed an immature Christian all those years.

I didn't understand a lot of things, hey, I was young, there was plenty of time....

But, when I truly gave my will the very essence of my being over to Christ, my life changed forever. I know, I know, how do you do that? I asked this question many times. And the answer is not an easy one. The flesh has to be in control at all times. You just can't surrender your soul, heck, you don't even understand it most of the time. You can't hold it, you don't know exactly where to look for it, it is just there. So how can you surrender it if ya really don't know where it is, what it is, just know it's there?

You come to a point in life where you don't like how things are in your life, and you just can't go on another day with the same ole same ole. You pray, ask God to show you what your heart is crying out for. Just trust Him as you trusted your parents when you were really young. Trust Him to know what you need, and trust Him to give it to you.

That's what I did. It will be different for each person.

I know I can't put my finger on the changes, but one day, I realized I no longer did certain things, had no desire to do them, and I saw other things, things of the world that made me sad. A thought came instantally to me, You have been reborn, you see things thru Christ's eyes now. Then a peace overtook me, as if someone was embracing me in their arms, and I knew...it was my Savior.

I communicate with God as blue does. I talk to HIm all the time, as if He were standing right in front of me holding down a conversation like I do with friends/family. And He communicates back to me. I now realize this, where before I didn't. It might be a passage I read in a book/newspaper that leaps out at me. It might be something someone says/does that grabs my attention. Or, it might be a thought that suddenly pops into my mind. Sometimes, when God wants me to do something, there is an urgency to do this or that...if I put it off, it gets stronger...and sooner or later...I will have to do whatever it is He is prompting me to do. The need to do it will not go away until I do.

Now, I don't know any other way to explain this to any of you. It is my personal walk with God. And many of you will think I am crazy and kooky and need to be locked away. That's ok. I no longer care what people think about my relationship with God. I no longer hide my relationship with God. I do not get embarrassed about my relationship with God. I am a much more complete person with God and am strong in His love.

I am a much better and whole person who is at peace and is happy and content. Does that mean that things do not come along to disrupt and upset me? Heavens no. Every single day there is something. But, I turn it to Him and He handles it, giving me and leaving me time to Praise Him, and love Him. Things don't always turn out the way I would want them to, people don't listen to me when they should, ie: children but my belief of everything happens for a reason, and there is good in even the most horrid of circumstances and one door slams shut but another one opens, is strong and much proven to be true for me.

blessings....aiangel

Old 09-15-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I'm not one to go to church and turn it into some kind of competition to see how many people I can convert but yet you and others are giving me the impression that this is your goal.
I don't think church is important but that's my opinion.
I've obviously offended you and I've also apologized. I have in no way that I am aware spoken of any kind of believers-olympics where there's a competitive atmosphere for lives changed.

I promise you that I will not be a thorn in your side any longer. I didn't realize that we could make blanket statements about the age of folks in church and their motivation for being there and, when called on them, start telling the kettle how black they are.

Again, sorry for my poor taste in humor. You need not worry about my intent, my competive nature or my steroetypical problems regarding your posts again.

Sorry~~Alpha

Old 09-15-2007, 11:52 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
Quote:
I was joking, sorry I offended you. I just was responding to your post...

It says that most people in church are old and that old people get scared and go to church.

Saw-ree---won't happen again....
You didn't offend me. I was just wondering why you thought I was stereotyping and wanted your opinion on that.
Sometimes I come off as certain things I don't want to be and if I come off as too stereotypical(that I don't see myself as, but someone else might) I would like to know so I can fix it.
I'm just really opinionated and I'm on a roll this weekend. (I'll settle down some now) LOL

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
John 6:43 "But Jesus replied don't complain about what I said. For people can't come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them to me, ad at the last day I will raise them from the dead".
We didn't just wake up one day and decide to believe, the Holy Spirit spoke to our heart. It has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with God.
Right on, well said and I totally agree times 2 How can a man adequately explain GOD? I could tell someone about my experience all day, but until u know for yourself...I mean really know...my words are frail attempts to explain what cannot be comprehended by a natural/carnal mind. The Bible says "The fear or reverence or respect for GOD is the beginning of wisdom." Wisdom has little to do with religion, age, birth, adversity, status or any type of socioeconomic circumstance. The same is true for the decision to "Believe" Thank GOD for HIS everlasting mercy/unmerited favor toward me..."HE drew me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
God does not sit idly by and watch all of this through a t.v. screen waiting for someone to call Him.

He actively seeks us out. All of us. I know I can look back at my life before I really dedicated my life to Jesus and see where He was trying to get my attention, but, for one reason or another, I ignored Him.

What makes us turn around and say, oh, God I'm ready to be yours now. I don't know, it is different for each individual.

What I do know is that I got a restless feeling, wondering what life is all about, is this all there is? And I began to look around and notice others, trying to see if they felt as I did. I saw many who did feel that way, others who just stayed stoned and partied all the time, keeping their brains focused on the weekend when they could go out and get drunk, have sex, do whatever. I knew I did not want that scene. Yet, I saw others, both young and old who were so at peace with whatever came up. Rich and poor alike, they always seemed happy and content. The difference was there to see, I just had to look.

God shines through His believers, and when we really seek to see a difference in people, we will start to notice that believers, true believers are the most content. They live their lives and without really knowing it, they are shining the light of Christ with their actions, words, just their everyday living. They don't go around preaching to people, or getting angry with people who do not believe as they do. They just live their lives....and are there for all of us to see.

That planted a seed within me, and I kept it in the back of my mind. One day, I picked up my Bible and started to read...the more I read, the more I wanted to read...I ended up getting a NIV Study Bible so I could understand what I was reading. I purchased a Concordance....I was craving knowledge of something greater than I had ever imagined...The more I read, and understood, the more I wanted....

I had thought I was a Christian, and I do believe I was when I gave my life to Christ at the age of 14. But, I didn't grow...I stayed an immature Christian all those years.

I didn't understand a lot of things, hey, I was young, there was plenty of time....

But, when I truly gave my will the very essence of my being over to Christ, my life changed forever. I know, I know, how do you do that? I asked this question many times. And the answer is not an easy one. The flesh has to be in control at all times. You just can't surrender your soul, heck, you don't even understand it most of the time. You can't hold it, you don't know exactly where to look for it, it is just there. So how can you surrender it if ya really don't know where it is, what it is, just know it's there?

You come to a point in life where you don't like how things are in your life, and you just can't go on another day with the same ole same ole. You pray, ask God to show you what your heart is crying out for. Just trust Him as you trusted your parents when you were really young. Trust Him to know what you need, and trust Him to give it to you.

That's what I did. It will be different for each person.

I know I can't put my finger on the changes, but one day, I realized I no longer did certain things, had no desire to do them, and I saw other things, things of the world that made me sad. A thought came instantally to me, You have been reborn, you see things thru Christ's eyes now. Then a peace overtook me, as if someone was embracing me in their arms, and I knew...it was my Savior.

I communicate with God as blue does. I talk to HIm all the time, as if He were standing right in front of me holding down a conversation like I do with friends/family. And He communicates back to me. I now realize this, where before I didn't. It might be a passage I read in a book/newspaper that leaps out at me. It might be something someone says/does that grabs my attention. Or, it might be a thought that suddenly pops into my mind. Sometimes, when God wants me to do something, there is an urgency to do this or that...if I put it off, it gets stronger...and sooner or later...I will have to do whatever it is He is prompting me to do. The need to do it will not go away until I do.

Now, I don't know any other way to explain this to any of you. It is my personal walk with God. And many of you will think I am crazy and kooky and need to be locked away. That's ok. I no longer care what people think about my relationship with God. I no longer hide my relationship with God. I do not get embarrassed about my relationship with God. I am a much more complete person with God and am strong in His love.

I am a much better and whole person who is at peace and is happy and content. Does that mean that things do not come along to disrupt and upset me? Heavens no. Every single day there is something. But, I turn it to Him and He handles it, giving me and leaving me time to Praise Him, and love Him. Things don't always turn out the way I would want them to, people don't listen to me when they should, ie: children but my belief of everything happens for a reason, and there is good in even the most horrid of circumstances and one door slams shut but another one opens, is strong and much proven to be true for me.

blessings....aiangel
Wow, aiangel, that's beautiful. Awesome.

It is hard to see the good in everything, that's a hard one for me too.

You've given me(us) much to ponder.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:22 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
But no, I don't. Do not.

That's just the thing: I do not feel that people believe in god by "default." I cannot underscore that enough. I most certainly don't regard yours, or anyone else's belief in god as being a "childish concept to bring comfort in the face of anguish and pain." I truly feel that the comfort that you and everyone else feels is a byproduct of that belief, but I do not see it as the sole basis of, or foundation of your belief.

And that is why it is all so perplexing to me. I honestly believe that you all "have" something that preceeds that emotional sense of well being. In no way do I feel that people believe in god simply due to emotional reasons alone. No! I can't help but feel that there is "something" that is deeper than that; that while it impacts one's emotions/sense of well being, that it's origins somehow reside in a place that preclude any emotional state. (Not sure I'm making much sense here...) What I am attempting to say, is that I do believe that there are people who believe in god and that it has nothing to do with emotional states of pain or anguish. I think that that there are those who believe in god because there is something within them that has nothing whatsoever to do with the psyche, mind, or feelings. It's "other" than that; deeper than that.

And that is what I just can't quite comprehend. That is what is so mysterious to me, that I am curious about. For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with anything that is scientifically provable or not. (Or, I should say, it has far less to do with science...I am not an atheist necessarily for the same reasons that Montana is. Of that, I am certain.) However, I do not for a minute feel that any believer is operating in a state of emotional "delusion." Nope. I could never, ever believe that that is the underlying basis for anyone's belief in a god.

And Blue, I don't want you, (or anyone else!) to feel that you would be wasting your time, or in any way be risking your friendship with me in attempting to help me in better understanding what it is that I just don't "get" or have. You see, that simply could not happen; I would never feel that any of our friendships could possibly be jeapordized by that.

I am merely trying to understand what I am so seemingly unable to.

I mean this, sincerely.

Take gentle care.

It's Love!!!!! Really

It's not the memory of it, it's not the reflection of it, it's not symbolic.

In a relationship with another person ( my wife for example ) there is a give and take between us that is intangible. If we are truely selfless with each other, the relationship flourishes. The are also times of distance, lack of communication, unsecurity, fear etc....,
I don't believe Love is an invention of man. I believe that it is divine, eternal,it always was, it always will be. I worship Love, and I have found no better vehicle which articulates it as well as Jesus Christ. And my experience with Love ( I choose to call Love Jesus, because I believe he is it's personification ) has manifested in a belief and faith in Jesus Christ (Love).

I would challenge anyone, to reflect on Love and Jesus. Anytime a preconcieved notion of "church", "religion" "religious people" or any of the jargon pops in to your head, push it away, and direct your focus back to Love ( Jesus ). Read his sermons, also pushing out anything but you and Him. Let the words speak to you, only you. Let go, open yourself to Him.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:28 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
That's a great post and I just want to publicly thank you for it.

I'm fairly confident that most non-believers would not share this opinion, so I respect you for saying what might be unpopular among your peers.

We love ya, June. On that much you can be sure and you can 'know' without any scientific proof of it!
Well, June, I wanted to say this first but, I guess Alpha is a faster typer than I am I love you because you don't make fun of us or critize us

Old 09-15-2007, 12:32 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Thumbs up Word!

Originally Posted by Oakback
Quote:
I worship Love, and I have found no better vehicle which articulates it as well as Jesus Christ. And my experience with Love ( I choose to call Love Jesus, because I believe he is it's personification ) has manifested in a belief and faith in Jesus Christ (Love).
If you change Jesus Christ with God then I'll agree 100% with you. To me God = (abstract) Love and Jesus is the example for concrete love.

Now I hafta pat you on the back.
Dang, for some reason I can't.
Guess it has to be another time then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality