Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:29 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,072,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
one thing that turns me off about organized religion is that there are so many different religions and churches and they don't seem to accept each other and even compete or badmouth each other. why is this so? i tend to believe in just one higher power but i'm wondering if most people believe in more than one? why is there so much intolerance of other religions? i thought god or jesus was all about love and brotherhood. maybe a good new religion could be based on just being human and not classifying yourself as baptist or evangelical christian or catholic or hindu. maybe all these religions could merge together like the new fad of hybrid designer dog breeding and the new hybrid religion could be called bapduchristolic (or something like that). somebody come up with a new hybrid religion name to make me laugh please!

You tell me: Is it possible to have 2 gods that claim to be exclusive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 08:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,704 times
As many as you want. I personally compare my conception of God to the kinds of water available to us. Steam, stream, cloud, ocean, lake,fog, iced cubes, springs, aquifer. Same energy, different ways of seeing the energy. I feel God as a friend, buddy, sidekick, pal. God as "oppressor" isn't acceptable to me. I can call God Biff, or Daisy Belle, if I want to.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
You tell me: Is it possible to have 2 gods that claim to be exclusive?
There are thousands that claim to be the one and only...The only sensible thing to do is reject them all.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:16 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,416,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
one thing that turns me off about organized religion is that there are so many different religions and churches and they don't seem to accept each other and even compete or badmouth each other. why is this so? i tend to believe in just one higher power but i'm wondering if most people believe in more than one? why is there so much intolerance of other religions? i thought god or jesus was all about love and brotherhood. maybe a good new religion could be based on just being human and not classifying yourself as baptist or evangelical christian or catholic or hindu. maybe all these religions could merge together like the new fad of hybrid designer dog breeding and the new hybrid religion could be called bapduchristolic (or something like that). somebody come up with a new hybrid religion name to make me laugh please!
Firstly, the modern organized religions make the claim of only one god as a theopolitical tool. Not only does the religion with the most followers wield the most political clout, the church/sect with the most adherents wield the most power within that religion and can influence that religion's doctrines.

We have archeological and archival evidence of over a thousand deities across the globe, across cultures, and across time. This of course includes individual Deities found within pantheonic religious structures. And most of those Deities pre-date Judeism.

The oldest continuious religious system (left intact because Europeans cannot live in the Outback until recently) belongs to the Australian Aboriginal peoples. Those is the related fields of ancient societies agree that a conservative estimate of their relgiious belief system can date it as least 65,000 years of age. It is a Shamanic and Animistic religion, absent of Deities in general.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:18 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,416,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There are thousands that claim to be the one and only...The only sensible thing to do is reject them all.
Or perhaps that they all exist, created by the concentrated will of many people over long periods of time?

Perhaps exhibiting those traits and qualities attributed to them by their followers/creators, within Natural Laws of course. (of course there is no creator deity, for example, so that's out of the question and not a possible attribute)

Old 07-27-2009, 01:59 AM

320 posts, read 449,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal23 View Post
there is ONE God. (Heavenly Father) who is completely seperate from Jesus Christ (our Savior) which is sepreate from the Holy Ghost. *Trinity* or *God-Head*
God is our creator.
Jesus is our Savior
The Holy Ghost is our constant companion. (kinda like a conscience, gives us those "hmm i dont feel right about this" feeling and such)
..Let me just do a bit of highlighting here!

Jesus Christ Is (LORD) he is the ( Heavenly Father) he is also the(Savior) just as "Jesus" the Son was a savior, by laying down his Life for all mankind.

The Father is LORD of Lords and KING of all Kings! He is Jehovah-Jesus "Jesus-Jehovah" Is the same person! The Holy Spirit/Ghost Is 'HE' The "I AM! he has 12 other names, but ill leave it at this for now!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriapagan View Post
someone had to give birth to him.
A loving god doesnt send people to hell.
I couldn't see how that could be possible! we will never understand how Jesus (GOD) came into existents! Until we "mankind" ALL! stand before him!
(Flesh gives birth to Flesh! And Spirit gives birth to spirit!)

And you are right! GOD doesn't send anyone to hell, to my knowledge there isn't any recording in the "word" that he created a place of punishment and torture! " Few "

Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
all paths to God are beautiful and real, there is no right path, follow them with a sincere heart only.

God is love, if there is love in your heart then you are on the right way to the father!

religious or not.

unconditional, pure and eternal love

that's God, love like that and you'll get back to the father in no time!
Right On! good to see there are some on the same page. Just wish the rest of them would sail the same direction instead of going against the current, so to speak!

Old 07-27-2009, 03:21 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times
Seven billion and counting....

Old 07-27-2009, 08:44 AM

433 posts, read 964,543 times
LOL this is just too funny!
Great thread!

"my God is the only one..."
"no, MYYY God is the only one god...."
"you are all fools, MYYYYY God is the only true God..."

simply WOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality