Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:48 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
All we need to believe in is the Triune God,which is the Father,Son and Holy Spirit.
And who says that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 06:17 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Quote:
All we need to believe in is the Triune God,which is the Father,Son and Holy Spirit and there wouldn't be strife in the world.If we all set our eyes upon the Lord and had the love of the Lord in our heart and the knowledge that Christ died for our sins,there wouldn't be wars.
Some Christians seem to believe that we need those wars so that the Final Days will hurry and come.

Not even all Christian believe in the Triune God.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:29 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
Quote:
All we need to believe in is the Triune God,which is the Father,Son and Holy Spirit and there wouldn't be strife in the world.If we all set our eyes upon the Lord and had the love of the Lord in our heart and the knowledge that Christ died for our sins,there wouldn't be wars.
That's the root of the problem right there. You're saying that everyone needs to believe what you believe. Well, not everyone shares your belief.

It's very arrogant to expect everyone to follow one faith. That's how these wars get started - over who has the best god. Or, as Richard Jeni put it, "everyone's fighting over who has the best imaginary friend."

If your faith helps you to lead a happy, fulfilling life, that's wonderful. However, the minute you start shoving your beliefs down the world's throat, and expect them to follow your faith, that's when the line is crossed.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:40 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
That's the root of the problem right there. You're saying that everyone needs to believe what you believe. Well, not everyone shares your belief.

It's very arrogant to expect everyone to follow one faith. That's how these wars get started - over who has the best god. Or, as Richard Jeni put it, "everyone's fighting over who has the best imaginary friend."

If your faith helps you to lead a happy, fulfilling life, that's wonderful. However, the minute you start shoving your beliefs down the world's throat, and expect them to follow your faith, that's when the line is crossed.
Agreed! I've noticed something as well. If I, as an atheist, changed my tune about God. In other words, if I said I believe in God but it is the God of the Qu'ran would it really make a difference to a Christian? I mean their view is that I am still going to hell anyway. The same could be said if I found the Christian God and told a bunch of Muslims this. Their view is that I would still be punished for it. The same for if I found the Hindu Gods or the Greek or Roman Gods. If I believed in a God, I'd still have to "pick" the right one. Because we are culturally inclined in America to believe in the Christian God does that make him the right god? The people in the Middle East who believe in the Qu'ranic God are culturally inclined to do so as well. Over here, in America, the Christian God seems to be the "right" god, but in another part of the world the Muslim God is said to be the "right" god. To look at it from a completely unbiased view it seems that everyone believes they have picked the right god. Well, certainly, that means that the majority of people on Earth will have failed and chosen the wrong God if he indeed existed. So why is it necessary for people to feel that they have chosen the right God?

Each holy book explains that the God of that belief is the right one. So the argument that the Bible is the word of God and therefore it is the right one could be said for the Qu'ran as well. It can be said for hundreds of other "holy" books. If each belief system believes that each book was divinely written as the word of God than if God exists, surely only one can still be the right one. I would hate to choose the wrong one, for everything that I have read about Gods tells me that choosing the wrong one is just as perilous as not believing at all. So, really, it wouldn't matter. If I converted to a belief in God I'd still have to pick the right one and I'd still have those shaking heads and disapprovals from those of different faiths.

How did the joke go when an atheist told her religious family's response to her beliefs. "I can understand you not believing in God, but an ATHEIST! That's horrible!"

Old 09-20-2007, 06:56 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
Quote:
All we need to believe in is the Triune God,which is the Father,Son and Holy Spirit and there wouldn't be strife in the world.
Sorry, I had to come back to this statement again. It's amazing how so much of the world's problems are summed up right in this sentence.

Substitute Triune God with Allah, and you could say the same thing.

The more accurate statement would be, "All we need to do is respect others' right to believe as they wish, and there wouldn't be strife in the world."

In other words, everyone just needs to mind their own business.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 PM

116 posts, read 372,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Some Christians seem to believe that we need those wars so that the Final Days will hurry and come.

Not even all Christian believe in the Triune God.
What denomination of Chrisitanity are you talking about? Unity church?

Old 09-21-2007, 02:50 AM

179 posts, read 333,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Ikester, I think you are really trying hard to convince yourself and others that atheists lack the morals of believers. Regardless, the quote of the twin towers said "Imagine no religion". It didn't say imagine it with no Christian religion. It said imagine it with no religion. And, yes, to my knowledge every single hijacker was a Muslim. However, if someone were to put a picture of a "torture rack" used in the Spanish Inquisition the same ideal could be put forth to the Christian religion. However, many people aren't as familiar with the Spanish Inquisition as they are with 9-11 so I think the point was well served. Again, as I said on my other post, you seem to focus heavily on abortion and throw a blanket statement towards all atheists/evolutionists that we are baby killers. Well, that is your opinion, but I must say that for anyone to by and large promote a bigoted statement such as that must live in ignorance. See the above conversation Philly and I had.

Anyway, I'd also like to point out that since 90% of America believes in God, and the vast majority of those believers are Christian, than it befuddles me how you can say that we as the atheists are the abortion mongering people that you claim we are. After all, 90% of America believing in God is a pretty impressive number. Something along the lines of 270 million of the 300 million Americans. What I'm getting at here is that if Atheists were the only ones voting for abortion than abortion would not be legal. Obviously, we are the minority group so why is it that it is still legal? The numbers don't add up. Therefore, it seems to me that a large majority of American Christians are voting for people that are pro-abortion. So before you get on your high horse and convict us (much in the way religion has done throughout history) take a step into your own backyard and look around and see what is being done.
You should not dish out what you are not ready to take.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
It befuddles me that anyone thinks 9/11 was primarily a religious attack.
Atheist-evolutionist need an excuse to wage their war upon Christians. It is the same excuse Richard Dawkins uses, so why not the rest?

Old 09-21-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
It's been said before, removing religion will not ensure bad things won't happen. It will remove a major factor for it.

You can't compare it to oil or iron because oil or iron don't tell you that another nation should be obliterated. Religion does. You may wish to obliterate another nation because you want their oil or iron, but that's something else entirely.

I'd also argue that unlike oil or iron, there is no need for religion.
But who is it that keeps people from knowing that oil can be made in three hours? Is it because it has been taught that it takes millions of years?

Changing World Technologies, Inc.

I don't see any scientists, or evolutionists jumping on this bandwagon. Must be because they would have to admit to being wrong.

And unlike oil, there is no need for evolution.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Sorry, I had to come back to this statement again. It's amazing how so much of the world's problems are summed up right in this sentence.

Substitute Triune God with Allah, and you could say the same thing.

The more accurate statement would be, "All we need to do is respect others' right to believe as they wish, and there wouldn't be strife in the world."

In other words, everyone just needs to mind their own business.
I have no problem with people who choose Allah instead of Christ. Not all Christians are about forcing their belief. I just believe the option should be there, once rejected, move on. Christ did not chase people and force his views upon others. And there was a reason for that.

Last edited by ikester7579; 09-21-2007 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality