Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:25 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
A Nation thrives only when God is honored,desired, and followed --- pretending he doesnt exist, isnt wanted , etc... only seals the fate of foolish man.
That must mean some of the most atheist countries who are prosperous must have found the "right godâ„¢" You can look it up yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 08:01 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And just to clarify my position, I don't believe any of us can ever become God. God is an entity of His own. I couldn't become Him any more than I could become my own mother. But I do believe that, as God's offspring, the children of God have been given the potential to mature to such a point that they may become like their Father.
Just for clarification....not everyone is 'a child of God' ; that title is only reserved for those who have been reconciled to God thru the finished work on calvary by his Son --- Gods only appointed way of us being reconciled to himself. For those whove not done this, they are actually children of the Devil (opposed to God) . All of us are FASHIONED in the image of God our Creator however...but not all are reconciled to him and thus still face condemnation unless a change is had.

We are to be LIKE God in character and love ... but as you said we are not to be AS him in essence .

Old 06-11-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
That must mean some of the most atheist countries who are prosperous must have found the "right god™" You can look it up yourself.
Financial and material prosperity of a Nation is decieving , essentially superficial ,a poor barometer of success, passing away, and not necessarily OF God ; only the Nation who makes the Creator the ultimate One in charge / that seeks HIS guidance and is obedient to his protective established moral laws ... will endure , be truly prosperous, and find favor with God . Whenever Man sets up his own kingdom, it is flawed and havoc is reaped. http://bible.cc/proverbs/28-2.htm

Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Just for clarification....not everyone is 'a child of God' ; that title is only reserved for those who have been reconciled to God thru the finished work on calvary by his Son --- Gods only appointed way of us being reconciled to himself. For those whove not done this, they are actually children of the Devil (opposed to God) . All of us are FASHIONED in the image of God our Creator however...but not all are reconciled to him and thus still face condemnation unless a change is had.
I disagree. The Bible says He is the Father of our spirits. That means that each and every person who has ever lived has the same Father in Heaven and is the spirit offspring of the same Father. The Devil may have followers, but he gave life to no one. Some of God's children may be acting in such a way that it's hard to recognize them as His children, but that doesn't change who they are in His eyes. Obviously, those who reject Him will never grow to be like him; they will never reach their full potential and be god-like.

Quote:
We are to be LIKE God in character and love ... but as you said we are not to be AS him in essence .
Could you explain what you mean by His "essence"? What does that word mean to you?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:51 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times
I suppose he means that only God is "good"

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
mortals cant become Elohim (king of kings)
mortals can only became sons of Elohim.
being able to create universe and such does not make one an Elohim (nor a son of Elohim)
that would only make you a titan.
titans are not gods.
that was pretty much the whole point of greek mythology.

He was the true Light, which doth enlighten every man, coming to the world; 10 in the world he was, and the world through him was made, and the world did not know him:
11 to his own things he came, and his own people did not receive him;
12 but as many as did receive him to them he gave authority to become sons of God -- to those believing in his name,
13 who -- not of blood nor of a will of flesh, nor of a will of man but -- of God were begotten

John to the seven assemblies that [are] in Asia: Grace to you, and peace, from Him who is, and who was, and who is coming, and from the Seven Spirits that are before His throne,
5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the first-born out of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth; to him who did love us, and did bathe us from our sins in his blood,
6 and did make us kings and priests to his God and Father

Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Katzpur, 007.5,

I am sure you both know this, but this is one the points of doctrine on which the LDS church and most other variants of Christianity are diametrically opposed. When I was a baptist, this was one of the "evidences" that the LDS church was heretical. At best you guys may be able to clarify each other's positions, but I don't think there is any way your are going to reach some sort of common ground on this one.

I do find it very interesting that the same scriptures can be used to support so many different interpretations. It boggles the mind that so many people can determine that a single piece of literature unequivocally supports their own view, and they are all different...

-NoCapo

Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Katzpur, 007.5,

I am sure you both know this, but this is one the points of doctrine on which the LDS church and most other variants of Christianity are diametrically opposed. When I was a baptist, this was one of the "evidences" that the LDS church was heretical. At best you guys may be able to clarify each other's positions, but I don't think there is any way your are going to reach some sort of common ground on this one.

I do find it very interesting that the same scriptures can be used to support so many different interpretations. It boggles the mind that so many people can determine that a single piece of literature unequivocally supports their own view, and they are all different...

-NoCapo
Hey. Yes, im well aware of LDS doctrine with men becoming eventual 'gods' and having alledged planetary sex to produce spirit children as well as other man made heretical fantasies. The Ground i stand on is the Bible , purely and wholly -- THAT is the final court of arbitration for me and not the opinions and speculations of men.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I disagree. The Bible says He is the Father of our spirits. That means that each and every person who has ever lived has the same Father in Heaven and is the spirit offspring of the same Father. The Devil may have followers, but he gave life to no one. Some of God's children may be acting in such a way that it's hard to recognize them as His children, but that doesn't change who they are in His eyes. Obviously, those who reject Him will never grow to be like him; they will never reach their full potential and be god-like.

Could you explain what you mean by His "essence"? What does that word mean to you?
1. Read 1 John chapter 3....just the first three paragraphs here : 1 John 3 NIV - See what great love the Father has - Bible Gateway
There is a clear deliniation between those who are Children of God and who are not . Like i said before, not ALL people are considered Children of God BY GOD himself. And those that reject God which is also rejecting his global plan for people to be saved from their sins (Jesus) are already not reconciled to God and are storing up condemnation for themselves ; they are distanced from God and currently have no part with God for they are alienated --- they certainly are NOT Children of God . It is ONLY those who have been made right by Christ that our Heavenly Father has a special kindship with -- the others are currently distanced from God , and perhaps for eternity unless they repent and trust Christ .

2. When i use the word 'essence' , I mean it to be the ACTUAL personage of God ; in other words EXACTLY him... or true substance . IE: Jesus is the actual essence of God being part of the Godhead. In heaven (for those whove been washed by the blood of the Lamb Jesus' sacrifice) ... we will be Christlike, have a supernatural body eventually, have supernatural powers, etc...but we will never BE God . God will always be someone who is totally seperate than what Heavenly Dwellers will be .

Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Katzpur, 007.5,

I think you're right. I do appreciate the fact the 007.5 has been so respectful and courteous throughout this exchange of ideas, though (well. mostly ). We will probably never see eye-to-eye on this issue, and I'd personally prefer not to let our disagreement escalate into a full-blown argument.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Hey. Yes, im well aware of LDS doctrine with men becoming eventual 'gods' and having alledged planetary sex to produce spirit children as well as other man made heretical fantasies.
"Alledged planetary sex?" What on earth might that be?

Quote:
The Ground i stand on is the Bible , purely and wholly -- THAT is the final court of arbitration for me and not the opinions and speculations of men.
I believe the Bible fully supports the LDS position. And it's actually not just the LDS position. In my first post on this forum, I provided plenty of evidence that various Christians throughout the ages have held essentially the same beliefs as the LDS do today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality