Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:55 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The only mythical fantasy figure is the "missing link" which has never been found.

Why aren't there more different types of humans, or missing links, if we evolved from a different species? We are all the same.
If you had been reading the R&P forum regularly, you would have know from many, many posts by people well versed in science (such as Rifleman) that there is no such thing as a "missing link."

That, along with the OP positing that descending from one man and one woman looking a lot like trollish behavior. Hmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I think the bible makes great philosophy and a handy source of emergency toilet paper.

This can be scientifically verified through careful study, testing and peer review.

Also, bible school goes in the Mosh-pit... not the science forum.
Are you making the implication that "emergency toilet paper" should be "scientifically verified?"

Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Aside from the fact that the above cannot be tested, the fact we share our much of our genome with all other life on the planet would necessarily indicate that we are an indigenous species.
Aliens put all life here...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
What 'link' concerns you? A link connects two things. Presumably, one of these things are humans. What is the other, that you expect must be linked by fossil evidence?

I take it you do not believe the passenger pigeon ever existed. After all, not a single passenger pigeon fossil has ever been discovered. Given your concern for fossils, how do you reconcile this lack with the abundant documentation of passenger pigeons, not to mention various preserved non-fossil specimens?
OK I'm curious. Why are there no passenger pigeon fossils? Do you mean any physical remains?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:14 AM

689 posts, read 2,161,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

OK I'm curious. Why are there no passenger pigeon fossils? Do you mean any physical remains?

There are no passenger pigeon fossils because God created a universe which contained no passenger pigeon fossils lying there to deceive humans and tempt them into satanic behavior.

At a very minimum, a scientific theory has to be plausible. Absent any scientific evidence to the contrary, it is is simply implausible to declare the origin of the universe as an intelligence who created it and furnished it with light waves hung in the middle of space speeding towards the humans He was so dedicated to spoofing, in such a way that those light waves would be thought to have originated on stars that He wanted us to think were more than 8,000 light years away.

For those of you who are prepared to accept a scientific explanation of this question, fossilization is extremely rare, and occurs only in very tiny geological windows of time and space. For fossilization to occur, there needs to be sudden sedimentation at the right time and place to preserve the remains of living beings present at the time, and ultimately forming a formidable rock that retains the fossil record against other geological events. There was no fossilization taking place, so far as has been discovered, that would have preserved the remains of any passenger pigeons, which became extinct less than 200 years ago. Bird bones, furthermore, are light, hollow and fragile, and are poor candidates for enduring fossilization. This answer also explains why it is not surprising that so many "missing links" are missing.

Physical remains of real passenger pigeons have been preserved in museum, and are open to public viewing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:La...ger_Pigeon.jpg

Last edited by CowanStern; 06-12-2012 at 07:40 AM..

Old 06-12-2012, 07:19 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,799 times
Quote:
Evidence?

Quote:
curious. Why are there no passenger pigeon fossils? Do you mean any physical remains?
Pleistocene Passenger Pigeon Populations « GeorgiaBeforePeople

Old 06-12-2012, 08:05 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,798 times
Quote:
I don't know why they're not found -- but they aren't. Some species are simply not represented, or are represented very poorly, in the fossil record, for a variety of reasons. Chimpanzees and gorillas, for example, live in tropical rainforests, an environment of acidic soil which is very poor for fossil creation -- thus, we don't find fossils from chimpanzees and gorillas.

As I said in my previous post, there are remains. Martha, for example:

Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Are you making the implication that "emergency toilet paper" should be "scientifically verified?"
Of course, unless you want to find yourself in a ditch during the apocalypse with the runs and the wrong tool for the job!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Default Origin of mankind

We're all Africans.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
I don't know why they're not found -- but they aren't. Some species are simply not represented, or are represented very poorly, in the fossil record, for a variety of reasons. Chimpanzees and gorillas, for example, live in tropical rainforests, an environment of acidic soil which is very poor for fossil creation -- thus, we don't find fossils from chimpanzees and gorillas.

As I said in my previous post, there are remains. Martha, for example:
You must have missed the link I posted on fossil passenger pigeons.

There are also remains of modern passenger pigeons, as you point out. There are two at the Louisville Science Center, and at least two or three elsewhere in Kentucky. It is said that they used to blacken the skies for days when migrating through the Ohio River valley.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Of course, unless you want to find yourself in a ditch during the apocalypse with the runs and the wrong tool for the job!
Agreed. A rusty can or a jagged piece of broken glass in the ditch could make for some awkward wiping. With any luck, finding a soggy discarded page from a newspaper might do the trick though. But if you've got the runs, I'm not sure much of anything will help depending on the cause.

Note to self:
Keep a bottle of Immodium tablets handy at all times in case of an apocalypse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality