Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Engineering if I remember correctly...I think that is where he was recruited by the CIA to work as a gadget-man...
IF he was CIA (which may or may not be true) it would explain why he isn't hanging out on the internet. Those guys tend not to chit-chat about what they've done. They also tend to not tell their relatives that they were recruited by the CIA.

Though if he's pushing 90 that alone could explain what he isn't surfing the internet and posting on boards. Lots of age-related reasons (that have nothing to do with a knowledge of science) could explain that. The fact that you know one old scientist who doesn't use the internet means you know one old scientist who doesn't use the internet. Not much more. It certainly has nothing to do with the fact that there are scientists on this board who DO use the internet. And know a lot about the subject currently under discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:04 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
But to a non-scientific YECer, those dates are meaningless since the Earth according to their belief is only 6000 years old, so they have no qualm with taking something that geologists discovered and insert it in Genesis 10:25, no matter how incoherent it is, and are so scientifically ill-equipped to even see the problems that creates, and feels that it is a perfectly valid connection, and believed to be part and parcel with Flood geology. "But is sounds so 'sciencey.' "
In fact the date is more like 10,000 years old +/- 5,000 and the recent evidence - based date at a Creation science conference (beginning with prayers) placed it at fifty thousand years ago, which caused some uneasy shuffling in the audience.

However, as Rifleman and his performing Varves can show, there is geological evidence in the amount, type, deposit specific nature and subsequent deformation that makes it hard to believe that the geology is just what - within a few hundred years at most timescale, though a literal reading would have it all happen within a couple of years.

I think for me the death - knell of the Biblical Flood story, on top of the lack of any real evidence for it, and the sheer unfeasibility, even with the argumentative mental gymnastics of instant mountains, Hi-speed evolution, Pangea, hydroplaning continents and 'Kinds', is that, after a year cooped up in a wooden box with a year's stored food without a single extinction in a million plus species. When they slithered down the mud -slicked slopes of Ararat to the post - deluvian ooze -plain below, there was nothing to eat. Not a thing. Not for a year until - if you could find a place where the seed was still viable and the mud not too thick, grass (and maybe veg, if you had kept your seed viable) would grow again. and then several years before you got any fruit. And there was not a darn thing for the carnivores to eat, not for several years.

To postulate food on the ark to cover that period adds staggeringly to the logistical problem and it must be so tempting to have God do a bit of magic to get over this.

But as I have said before, once God does a bit of magic, then none of it becomes necessary.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
In fact the date is more like 10,000 years old +/- 5,000 and the recent evidence - based date at a Creation science conference (beginning with prayers) placed it at fifty thousand years ago, which caused some uneasy shuffling in the audience.
I bet that did.

Quote:
However, as Rifleman and his performing Varves can show, there is geological evidence in the amount, type, deposit specific nature and subsequent deformation that makes it hard to believe that the geology is just what - within a few hundred years at most timescale, though a literal reading would have it all happen within a couple of years.
Yes, I can confirm, the geology is all wrong and not indicative for a recent global flood or even a recent poofing into existence.

Quote:
I think for me the death - knell of the Biblical Flood story, on top of the lack of any real evidence for it, and the sheer unfeasibility, even with the argumentative mental gymnastics of instant mountains, Hi-speed evolution, Pangea, hydroplaning continents and 'Kinds', is that, after a year cooped up in a wooden box with a year's stored food without a single extinction in a million plus species. When they slithered down the mud -slicked slopes of Ararat to the post - deluvian ooze -plain below, there was nothing to eat. Not a thing. Not for a year until - if you could find a place where the seed was still viable and the mud not too thick, grass (and maybe veg, if you had kept your seed viable) would grow again. and then several years before you got any fruit. And there was not a darn thing for the carnivores to eat, not for several years.

To postulate food on the ark to cover that period adds staggeringly to the logistical problem and it must be so tempting to have God do a bit of magic to get over this.

But as I have said before, once God does a bit of magic, then none of it becomes necessary.
Exactly! Why would a creator who gives his people theological doctrines supposedly based on the recent special creation, but then voluntarily submits his creative will to the precise physical constraints of a plethora of very well understood geologic processes without even the slightest pretense of fiat or a recent global upheaval.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:44 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Whadda yah know! He WINS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
One semester away, huh?....So you are not a scientist yet?...
Hee heee... I do so love your humor, even from one so very ill-equipped to provide it!

Boy, you are desperate aren't you? Denial of the other guy's capabilities? Wow! You no doubt won a lot of debates in high school debating class, yes?

I really would love to debate/annihilate you in public, but the supply of crying towels, even in the big economy box placed at your feet, would soon be all used up as you blubbed your way along in your non-semetric universe.

Repeats to himself in endless self-assurance... ("Stick to the party's pointless talking points!" "Stick to the party's pointless talking points!" "Stick to the party's pointless talking points!" "Stick to the party's pointless talking points!" ...)

Nothing like a truly vacuous pseudo-argument, avoiding the issues completely, but endlessly chiseling away like a styrofoam rock hammer against the cold hard facts, to seal the deal, eh Ricky?

OK then... You WIN!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Wink Mom to the defense of rote-a-chanting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I bet that did.

Yes, I can confirm, the geology is all wrong and not indicative for a recent global flood or even a recent poofing into existence.

Why would a creator who gives his people theological doctrines supposedly based on the recent special creation, but then voluntarily submits his creative will to the precise physical constraints of a plethora of very well understood geologic processes without even the slightest pretense of fiat or a recent global upheaval.
Oh pshaww and Tsk Tsk, PT! We are not here to ask such problematic questions or pose them to a blatantly technically ill-equipped audience member. It's downright cruel and unusual punishment, don't you see? Leaves 'em all loose-boweled and such!

My slightly zealous Christian mommy-dearest (but still... I do indeed miss her, just not her ill-equipped spirituality, which held her thinking mind back for years......) often said...

"Our's is not to question The Lord! For He hath almighty powers, as we can all see!"

....and so on.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Oh pshaww and Tsk Tsk, PT! We are not here to ask such problematic questions or pose them to a blatantly technically ill-equipped audience member. It's downright cruel and unusual punishment, don't you see? Leaves 'em all loose-boweled and such!
Dang it! I did it again.

Quote:
My slightly zealous Christian mommy-dearest (but still... I do indeed miss her, just not her ill-equipped spirituality, which held her thinking mind back for years......) often said...

"Our's is not to question The Lord! For He hath almighty powers, as we can all see!"

....and so on.
That was my mistake. I kept asking questions that no one wanted to answer. I didn't just want to claim that science was wrong. That would be pretty baseless. So I had to find out on my own why geologists were claiming what they claimed and how they came to their conclusions, and dang it, if I just didn't up and become one. I guess I just got sucked in and started believing what I was seeing was actually real, and worked.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:20 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Every civilization on earth has the flood story. It happened.
Sure it did. Just like every creature in the world lives within walking distance of Noah's house, right?

Old 09-10-2013, 09:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
IF he was CIA (which may or may not be true) it would explain why he isn't hanging out on the internet. Those guys tend not to chit-chat about what they've done. They also tend to not tell their relatives that they were recruited by the CIA.

Though if he's pushing 90 that alone could explain what he isn't surfing the internet and posting on boards. Lots of age-related reasons (that have nothing to do with a knowledge of science) could explain that. The fact that you know one old scientist who doesn't use the internet means you know one old scientist who doesn't use the internet. Not much more. It certainly has nothing to do with the fact that there are scientists on this board who DO use the internet. And know a lot about the subject currently under discussion.

I am sure he knows what he can and can't say...

Old 09-10-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Mankind didn't exist on Pangaea. The authors of the Bible didn't know of it's existence. Pangaea broke apart some 240 million years ago. Long, long, long before Man. (At least by 235 million years or so)

Look in the Scriptures, you'll find it...

Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
You are welcome, this was actually found on a wiki type article designed esp for the YEC folk. There is a you tube vid that LoLs at this claim and the real physics not considered.

Even I find that ludicrous...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality