Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,024,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Since it likely was penned around the 7th-6th century B.C.E., it's not likely they would have any knowledge of said things.

Yea, and then you have the personal interpretation inserted...I remember reading of Josephus referencing other histories written by barbarians speaking of people on a mt. in Armenia that went there to escape a huge flood so that tells me that it was not only eight people that survived but others also...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 AM

247 posts, read 236,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yea, and then you have the personal interpretation inserted...I remember reading of Josephus referencing other histories written by barbarians speaking of people on a mt. in Armenia that went there to escape a huge flood so that tells me that it was not only eight people that survived but others also...
I think some of them were in New Orleans even! (...because "great flood" and "great fire" stories can only occur one time, and must all be referencing the same event)

Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,914,585 times
Default What? Still trying to fool yourselves, God People?

Frankly, I'm kind of lost here by now.

Are we still arguing about the absolute absurdity of there ever having been a true globally inundating fludd, endured for 18+ months, plus whatever time for all that previously hidden but now crashing-about watery mass to have receded? Funny ! Truly funny.

Well then... I'll be the first!

I give up.

To continue to argue such magnificent silliness is to waste a lot of time on things that have been ABSOLUTELY & CATEGORICALLY debunked.

(Note to insistent devoutists Keep eyes closed tightly, and repeat, with ears plugged:

I believe in The Lord God Creator no matter how silly! I believe in The Lord God Creator no matter how silly! I believe in The Lord God Creator no matter how silly! ad infinitum...

Noah, plus a select few species out of the known millions, all crammed onto his tiny unpowered barge, with no water, food or different but required ecosystems, plus all the plants, aquatic and terrestrial, plus all the insects birds and so on... Plus of course the numbers of each of all that to successfully reproduce on the absolutely devastated vegetation and long-dead prey species over the entire planet?

And all of this stuff being done in the post-fludd muds?

Honestly now! Really? This is the mark of the ecologically illiterate for sure! The depths of mental avoidance of facts by some posters here, simply to justify some ancient mythical God? Fricking amazing intransigence.

(And a true waste of time as well! The true techno-illiterati abound here for sure!)

Wow! What a Hoot, Mon! Enjoy your time in mental neutral, my Christian friends!

Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The flood legends are often very different from the Biblical one and in fact they may be memories of an actual large but not global flood. There are of course no Flood legends handed down in Egypt or in China so that is evidence that any flood was not global. Your reference to Josephus suggests that (even if that anecdote is reliable) a creation -destroying Global flood cannot be true.

Thus, flood legends tend to discredit the Biblical account, even if they are evidence for some kind of rise in water-levels at the end of the last Ice age. Now, many have argued that it could be true that a mesolithic farmer loaded his domestic animals on a boat or raft and rode out a local flood. But, if that is so, the account relates back to mesopotamian records and the Bible just borrowed it. And as I say, even if there is some truth behind the story (I very much doubt it, actually) it is false in the only point that matters - evidence of the truth of the God - claims in the Bible. If they are not true, the historical nugget (if it isn't fools' gold) is purely academic.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:49 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Frankly, I'm kind of lost here by now.

Are we still arguing about the absolute absurdity of there ever having been a true globally inundating fludd, endured for 18+ months, plus whatever time for all that previously hidden but now crashing-about watery mass to have receded? Funny ! Truly funny.

Well then... I'll be the first!

I give up.

To continue to argue such magnificent silliness is to waste a lot of time on things that have been ABSOLUTELY & CATEGORICALLY debunked.

(Note to insistent devoutists Keep eyes closed tightly, and repeat, with ears plugged:

I believe in The Lord God Creator no matter how silly! I believe in The Lord God Creator no matter how silly! I believe in The Lord God Creator no matter how silly! ad infinitum...

Noah, plus a select few species out of the known millions, all crammed onto his tiny unpowered barge, with no water, food or different but required ecosystems, plus all the plants, aquatic and terrestrial, plus all the insects birds and so on... Plus of course the numbers of each of all that to successfully reproduce on the absolutely devastated vegetation and long-dead prey species over the entire planet?

And all of this stuff being done in the post-fludd muds?

Honestly now! Really? This is the mark of the ecologically illiterate for sure! The depths of mental avoidance of facts by some posters here, simply to justify some ancient mythical God? Fricking amazing intransigence.

(And a true waste of time as well! The true techno-illiterati abound here for sure!)

Wow! What a Hoot, Mon! Enjoy your time in mental neutral, my Christian friends!
I warned you.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't get why representative from an atheistic country like China are promoting pro-Bible/God propaganda. It's like the other team scoring a touching for their opponents.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I don't get why representative from an atheistic country like China are promoting pro-Bible/God propaganda. It's like the other team scoring a touching for their opponents.
China is not atheist. They have their own version of woo just not what you may label religion.

Chinese religious beliefs

Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
China is not atheist. They have their own version of woo just not what you may label religion.

Chinese religious beliefs
Rather like Russia, and indeed all the Marxist states, the official position of unbelief in gods (or Quasi gods) so that there would be no rival to their their cult of the great leader, has left a residue of atheism, but there was always the religion ready to resurface and refill the temples, churches and cathedrals. There are plenty of Chinese Christians ready to be enthusiastic about an expedition to discover proof of the actual Ark, and it only takes a few smart scammers to give them what they want

Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I bet that did.

Yes, I can confirm, the geology is all wrong and not indicative for a recent global flood or even a recent poofing into existence.

Exactly! Why would a creator who gives his people theological doctrines supposedly based on the recent special creation, but then voluntarily submits his creative will to the precise physical constraints of a plethora of very well understood geologic processes without even the slightest pretense of fiat or a recent global upheaval.
This creator is only as knowledgeable/ignorant as those who created the story of a creator?

Old 09-11-2013, 11:55 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,816,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
This creator is only as knowledgeable/ignorant as those who created the story of a creator?
Or maybe he is very deceitful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality