Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,409 times

Advertisements

Would you respect your child's religious preference? If my children chose to convert to a "worldy" religion like Buddhism, Islam, atheism, etc, then no I could not respect my child's religious preferences.

If you were devoutly religious and your teenager stopped believing would you respect their decision? No, I'd be disappointed mostly.

Would you still force them to go to church? Maybe.

I wouldn't mind if my kids converted to another Protestant denomination like Methodism or Anglicism, but I would prefer my kids stay Baptist. I would also expect my kids to marry and have kids with other Baptists as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
Since this thread has continued to drift away from the OP's question, it's better served in the Religion forum. Thanks.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-05-2013 at 01:45 AM..

Old 08-05-2013, 05:50 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Want to read something really bizarre?

"Liberal" Los Angeles, %religious, 53%
"Bible Belt" Huntsville, AL %religious, 51%
United States %religious 48%

Source:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

To be fair, I think Huntsville is an outlier in the Bible Belt. I grew up 20 miles south of there, across the river, and the differences are staggering. Huntsville is a town full of relatively well off engineers and scientists, lots of higher education and less religiosity than the surrounding environs. For example, Decatur which is the nearest large town to Huntsville, is 69.68% religious. Birmingham is 83.87% religious!

There really is a major difference in religious attitudes in the deep south.

-NoCapo

Last edited by Yac; 08-07-2013 at 05:56 AM..

Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Would you respect your child's religious preference? If my children chose to convert to a "worldy" religion like Buddhism, Islam, atheism, etc, then no I could not respect my child's religious preferences.

If you were devoutly religious and your teenager stopped believing would you respect their decision? No, I'd be disappointed mostly.

I wouldn't mind if my kids converted to another Protestant denomination like Methodism or Anglicism, but I would prefer my kids stay Baptist. I would also expect my kids to marry and have kids with other Baptists as well.
Are you really that intolerant of others?
My greatgrandmother and grandmother go to a baptist church, my mom went to a Methodist church but no longer believes and doesn't go anymore, my boyfriend and I are atheist/agnostic, neither of us believe in anything and it would take some serious proof to get us to believe something, which will never happen.

At 22 I lead a totally different life than my great grandmother did at 22, she was married and already had a child.
At 27/23 respectively my boyfriend and I are living together and have for a few years, plans to get married one day and no kids.

Guess what? Nobody is disappointed in anyone, we all get along we don't try and shove our different beliefs down each others throats and she tells me everything I go over to her house how proud of me she is and how she is so happy I am back and how much she loves me.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
the OP and others who condemn Christian parents for teaching their beliefs to their children would very likely have a whole different opinion of Islamic parents, or Hindu parents, or Wiccan parents, etc doing the same.
I doubt it. If a person thinks Marlboro is bad for you, they probably also think Winston and Camel are bad for you too.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post

That's sad. I'm an atheist and my children are free to explore any religion they choose. I have joined them in several different religious studies. As long as they are happy, I am happy.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:30 PM

295 posts, read 358,971 times
As someone who desires to see a waning of religious/superstitious belief, I fully support parents forcing their questioning teenagers to go to church against their will.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Gibson LP View Post
As someone who desires to see a waning of religious/superstitious belief, I fully support parents forcing their questioning teenagers to go to church against their will.
That makes no sense, you wish to see a decline in religious beliefs yet you support people forcing teens to go to church?

Makes.No.Sense.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I doubt it. If a person thinks Marlboro is bad for you, they probably also think Winston and Camel are bad for you too.
Exactly, I think all religion is corrupt and oppressive and that society would be much further along if religion wasn't holding us back.

Fundie Christians are just as bad as fundie Islamist....

Old 08-05-2013, 03:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
That makes no sense, you wish to see a decline in religious beliefs yet you support people forcing teens to go to church?

Makes.No.Sense.
I believe his point was, if you force teens to do something, they'll be bound and determined to rebel and hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality