Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 02:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times

Advertisements

People said the same thing before we moved to GA. Yes, my kids were asked about their religion. They handled it without making enemies. The biggest offenders were sports coaches, and, believe it or not, some teachers. I have told people that religion and politics is off the table for me (because they won't like what I have to say), and haven't ruined any friendships as a result.

There are so many transplants in the south now that nothing shocks the natives at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 03:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
People said the same thing before we moved to GA. Yes, my kids were asked about their religion. They handled it without making enemies. The biggest offenders were sports coaches, and, believe it or not, some teachers. I have told people that religion and politics is off the table for me (because they won't like what I have to say), and haven't ruined any friendships as a result.

There are so many transplants in the south now that nothing shocks the natives at this point.
Lots of transplants here, but it doesn't matter. When your 5 year old is being told that she should join a prayer circle at the school bus stop, that is crazy.

When she goes to sunday school (invited by her best friend at 7) and ends up at the altar accepting Jesus due to peer pressure, that is out of line. She won't tell her friends that she doesn't believe now at 11, but she still has to hear all the Church talk from some of them.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Lots of transplants here, but it doesn't matter. When your 5 year old is being told that she should join a prayer circle at the school bus stop, that is crazy.

When she goes to sunday school (invited by her best friend at 7) and ends up at the altar accepting Jesus due to peer pressure, that is out of line. She won't tell her friends that she doesn't believe now at 11, but she still has to hear all the Church talk from some of them.
Good grief. I can't believe that NC could be worse than GA, but it sure sounds like it. I was called a liar when I objected to the Bible on a lectern stand as I entered my 8th grader's classroom for back to school night. Nobody believed that existed in a public school. Oh hell yeah, it does.

I told my kids to smile and refuse to be engaged in those conversations. When the baseball coach was introducing the selected team, he made a point of saying which church they attended. My 9th grader pleaded with me not to say a word, so I didn't.

I have no problem at all with the religious leaning of the south, and they don't really seem to have a problem with me. I do abhor the lack of separation between church and state in this area.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
NC is definitely not a good place to be non-religious even in more liberal areas. I know some atheists living in NC and they find it difficult.

RALEIGH: NC has power to establish official religion, resolution says | State Politics | NewsObserver.com

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I'm sure they have it a whole lot easier than a Christian in a liberal area.

Last edited by Yac; 08-07-2013 at 05:56 AM..

Old 08-03-2013, 03:42 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am an atheist, my husband is more agnostic. My children (10 and 12) are both self-proclaimed Christians. We talk a fair bit about different religious beliefs with them, they understand my beliefs and that of my husband, and understand that faith is a very personal thing. We have friends and family of many and varied faiths who they are exposed to. Both of the children attend a Children's Ministry at the local Presbyterian Church. I like to think that I would support any religious choice they should make, but I know that's not true, I would have a very hard time supporting them if they veered towards religious extremism.

That's pretty interesting and very honest. You and your husband are basically non spiritual yet your younger kids are christians. I'm assuming some other family members got them thinking that way. How did you feel about that?

Old 08-03-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Why would a christian have difficulty in a liberal (whatever that means) area?

Old 08-03-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Why would a christian have difficulty in a liberal (whatever that means) area?
They don't. Live and let live is the liberal creed when it comes to religion. It only rears it's head when people who affiliate with a church try to recruit on behalf of that church.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
My DH and I raised our children as Christians in the middle of one of the most liberal areas (and professions) in the country. Hollywood. No problems. Ever. It's not unusual for film sets to have prayer groups and come-if-you-want Bible studies.

Why would a Christian have a problem? Do you think liberals are shunning believers and closing down churches?

Old 08-03-2013, 04:37 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:

Not at all.

I raised my children, for the bulk of their elementary school and middle school years in a very liberal area. There were Unitarians, several different types of Jews from Reform to Orthodax, agnostics, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists. Probably leaving something out.

There were also several evangelical churches in the district (Three Village, Setauket NY) An independent Bible Church, an Evangelical Free Church and an Assembly of God.

The Liberals - about 3/4 of the population - were very tolerant of the people of all of those faiths, as well as those with none.

Because some of the Fundamentalist objected - Halloween was removed from the school and they instead celebrated "Harvest". I didn't agree, but that's what they did.

So no, in my experience liberals are very liberal.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:43 PM

Want to read something really bizarre?

"Liberal" Los Angeles, %religious, 53%
"Bible Belt" Huntsville, AL %religious, 51%
United States %religious 48%

Source:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-07-2013 at 05:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality