Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'm atheist husband is barely catholic more on agnostic side as he's gotten older. We will raise our daughter Atheist. She has never been baptized or gone to church nor will I ever bring her. I've also made it clear to all sides of the family she is not to be given religious things such as angels for toys. We had an issue with that early on. If she decides to become religious later in life fine, but I will do everything in my power to inform her of "fairy tales" as we call them and let her choose once she hears both sides. I guess I'd support it but I wouldn't go to her kids baptisms or anything like that,

I'm with you sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:00 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have taken my kids to church or Sunday school since they were babies.

they will make an appearance in Church each Sunday or Saturday night.

I would not be thrilled if they were anything other than what they were raised.

"Train a child up in the way of the Lord, and he will not depart from it" Prov.22:6

Brain Washing ( 6 years old christian boy ) - YouTube

Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Raising a child is not brain washing. It's a parents duty. Free range kids don't do well.

Also, I do not want my children to be raised without faith.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:34 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Yes.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 08-03-2013, 01:28 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,400,498 times
People, let's try to stick to the discussion of "would you respect your child's religious preference?" Thank you, much appreciated!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:21 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,517 times
Thumbs up Keeping the PERSONAL in personal beliefs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Would you respect your child's religious preference?

If you were devoutly religious and your teenager stopped believing would you respect their decision?
Would you still force them to go to church?

If you are atheist would you support your child in their new found belief?
Help them find a church to attend yet not attend yourself?

Being atheist myself, if one of my children decided to look into religion I would support them, show them books on it, I'd help them find a church but would not attend with them. I would share my experiences with religion and why I don't believe and why I don't feel like its worth believing in but would let them know that their decision is up to them. They'll be raised atheist and told why from a very young age why mommy and daddy don't believe, you know when they ask about god.
Of course I would respect their decision.

As early as I can remember talking to our kids about religion I included citing of other Philosophical work, and still do. My husband ties the history in, and together with the kids' varying processes of thought we have really interesting conversations about religions and faith.

I have a warning to my kids that I have repeated often enough to be called an -ism of mine.

When you get to that level in your education where you feel there can be no God, (and if you do well in your studies that time will come), learn more - push further ahead. When you live and educate yourself with your eyes open you will come full circle and eventually OWN your own beliefs, and then you will understand what your faith means to you.

I was raised Catholic and my decision to not confirm made my Mom a little uncomfortable, but she didn't judge me for it and allowed me my freedom. I'm still not a Catholic, but my faith in God is very strong and my intolerance for other people's religious beliefs is non-existent.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:48 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Of course I would respect their decision.

As early as I can remember talking to our kids about religion I included citing of other Philosophical work, and still do. My husband ties the history in, and together with the kids' varying processes of thought we have really interesting conversations about religions and faith.

I have a warning to my kids that I have repeated often enough to be called an -ism of mine.

When you get to that level in your education where you feel there can be no God, (and if you do well in your studies that time will come), learn more - push further ahead. When you live and educate yourself with your eyes open you will come full circle and eventually OWN your own beliefs, and then you will understand what your faith means to you.

I was raised Catholic and my decision to not confirm made my Mom a little uncomfortable, but she didn't judge me for it and allowed me my freedom. I'm still not a Catholic, but my faith in God is very strong and my intolerance for other people's religious beliefs is non-existent.
Nicely said

You are a very wise mom

I think it's only natural for parents to be disappointed when their kids leave the religion they were brought up in.

But most parents don't let that disappointment prevent them from being supportive of their kids.

It's sad when this issue becomes a line in the sand and causes family to reject one another.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:58 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
I am an atheist, my husband is more agnostic. My children (10 and 12) are both self-proclaimed Christians. We talk a fair bit about different religious beliefs with them, they understand my beliefs and that of my husband, and understand that faith is a very personal thing. We have friends and family of many and varied faiths who they are exposed to. Both of the children attend a Children's Ministry at the local Presbyterian Church. I like to think that I would support any religious choice they should make, but I know that's not true, I would have a very hard time supporting them if they veered towards religious extremism.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 08-03-2013 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
I don't know what I'd do if one of my children entered a cult, such as Scientology. I would not be happy, but I'd be very surprised.

And no, I would not "be cool with that choice". Not at all.And they know that.

If parents do not want their children to select a faith other than their own, they should make that known to the children early on.

My parents did not do this at all, and the results were predictable. My youngest sister became a Jehovah's Witness for ten years.

Since my family is Protestant, and JWs do not celebrate any holidays at all, this caused a considerable rift in our family.

I am *not* judging weather JWs are Christians or not. That would be reserved for the Christian forum, where the topic has been discussed to death.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
This, in part, falls into the argument of why my husband will never consider moving to the south. I've mentioned N. Carolina Raleigh/Durham area. I imagine the culture would be different in various areas, right?
NC is definitely not a good place to be non-religious even in more liberal areas. I know some atheists living in NC and they find it difficult.

RALEIGH: NC has power to establish official religion, resolution says | State Politics | NewsObserver.com

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-07-2013 at 05:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality