Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 09:12 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Strange when compared to nowadays, when every possible personal detail of the lives of even minor celebrities is grist for the media mills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 573 times
In John 13: 23 & 25 the writer of the Gospel Of John writes of Jesus' male, same-sex, love relationship with the "desciple who he loved." Not surprisingly these passages are rarely referred to by conservative Christians. Or else desperately obfuscated. This minimal reference to Jesus' love life might not be so significant if it didn't make use of the language and vocabulary which was used in the ancient world to refer to these male, same sex, love relationships that were so common and respected in the ancient world. For more understanding of these passages please see "The Man Jesus Loved" by Theodore W. Jennings Jr. Who is a theologian at the Chicago Theological Seminary which is the oldest Seminary in this country. If you understand the nature of this love relationship then the desire, at the crucifixion, to make his Mother and the one he loved family makes more sense. As his mother had other children who would have taken care of her anyway. And surely the Son Of God would have been able to care for his Mother whether he was incarnate or not.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Some seem to be able to read what they like. Never heard any scholar say Jesus was married except those type that sale documentary on TV and that was to a female. The bible seems pretty clear on sin of same sex sex.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:22 AM

689 posts, read 494,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The NT does not mention the marital status of Jesus. We assume he was single and probably chaste. Is the absence of information enough to conclude Jesus never married?
We have no idea if he was gay or straight, let alone if the guy was married.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:14 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,925,052 times
It is pretty clear that God does not condone promiscuious behavior Revelation 21;7,-8,
I believe Jesus loved John the way my dad loved me.
I preferred my dad's company and wisdom, growing up, and he, in return, preferred me in attention and generosity.
Because I prefer God's attention, and influence, He favors me in many ways , better than my dad ever could .
I prefer Gods influence, whether I get any special attention from Him or not .
One does not buy God's favor, It is earned.
Favor comes through obedience. Likely this is why Jesus favored John.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:23 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
We have no idea if he was gay or straight, let alone if the guy was married.
Considering he is God, and God has explicitly stated that homosexuality is an abomination (and the Bible says Jesus is sinless), it would stand to reason that no--he is not gay.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
if Jesus being married derails a person, they never understood anyway. maybe a lil derail will help them. I used to ask a priest/pastor if they found out Jesus didn't literally rise what would they do. The ones that say "I quite" I would talk to them as I would and adolescent.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Considering he is God, and God has explicitly stated that homosexuality is an abomination (and the Bible says Jesus is sinless), it would stand to reason that no--he is not gay.
Yeah, that cinches it.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:05 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I believe Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene and they had a daughter named Sarah.

Cat

Old 07-14-2015, 10:10 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Logically since we're talking here about god in human form, the perfect template for humanity, our example and advocate and so forth, it is odd that there is so little explicit detail of his personal life, habits, unguarded moments, etc. Until you realize that for Jesus to have maximum appeal he must be a tabula rasa onto which everyone can project their various ideals upon. Just as scripture itself has to be vague and malleable so that it can be used to support everyone's particular notion of rightness / wrongness / (dis)approval, definition of who is "in" the group or a member of the Big Other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality