Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,210,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
....snip.... The atheists and such won't be happy until every last Christian and the like, is gone, banished from the face of the earth.
What absolute rot.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,167,132 times
Quote:
It must be rough to be so persecuted by the atheists.

Well manderly6, it has been happening a lot. And DON'T make me go and pull up a bunch of news articles from different sources to prove to you that it is and has. You know well what I am talking about. Removal of religious symbols from every public area of life. Halting prayer in institutions where it has been held for decades if not centuries. Just to name a few. Just because some atheist claims to be offended. If you don't know you've had your head buried in the sand. And please don't give me that "separation of church and state" garbage that isn't even in the constitution (U.S). I say "maybe now they will leave us alone" but it won't happen. The atheists and such won't be happy until every last Christian and the like, is gone, banished from the face of the earth.
You caught us. Our goal is world domination and the destruction of all christians. You may want to talk to your god about this. Maybe he can help you guys out.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:58 PM

16,701 posts, read 15,697,489 times
Quote:
It must be rough to be so persecuted by the atheists.

Well manderly6, it has been happening a lot. And DON'T make me go and pull up a bunch of news articles from different sources to prove to you that it is and has. You know well what I am talking about. Removal of religious symbols from every public area of life. Halting prayer in institutions where it has been held for decades if not centuries. Just to name a few. Just because some atheist claims to be offended. If you don't know you've had your head buried in the sand. And please don't give me that "separation of church and state" garbage that isn't even in the constitution (U.S). I say "maybe now they will leave us alone" but it won't happen. The atheists and such won't be happy until every last Christian and the like, is gone, banished from the face of the earth.
Separation of church and state is not the exact wording used in the Constitution, but that is exactly what the founding fathers meant. Check the writings of Jefferson, John Adams, and James Madison.

Nobody is trying to get rid of Christians. It is usually Christians that are trying to impose their religion on the rest of society, so the ACLU, American Atheists, or some other organization has to file a lawsuit to make the government do what it is supposed to do. If your faith is so weak that you need to have the ten commandments on display at the courthouse, you need to examine your faith. Those who do not share your faith should not have it forced on them. I recently had the opportunity to watch the US Senate on TV. The opening prayer was pretty generic as far as religious representations go. When the invocation at a high school graduation sounds like this, very few would have any complaint. When it sounds like a fundamental Baptist minister, there will be complaints from those who take offense to the fundamental Baptist fire and brimstone speeches.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:05 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,660,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Separation of church and state is not the exact wording used in the Constitution, but that is exactly what the founding fathers meant. Check the writings of Jefferson, John Adams, and James Madison.

Nobody is trying to get rid of Christians. It is usually Christians that are trying to impose their religion on the rest of society, so the ACLU, American Atheists, or some other organization has to file a lawsuit to make the government do what it is supposed to do. If your faith is so weak that you need to have the ten commandments on display at the courthouse, you need to examine your faith. Those who do not share your faith should not have it forced on them. I recently had the opportunity to watch the US Senate on TV. The opening prayer was pretty generic as far as religious representations go. When the invocation at a high school graduation sounds like this, very few would have any complaint. When it sounds like a fundamental Baptist minister, there will be complaints from those who take offense to the fundamental Baptist fire and brimstone speeches.
The "writings"?!
Yeah...that is always known to count for a lot when it comes to what people really think/feel about something. NOT!!

Try checking out what they DID...and how they acted.
I submit: That is a much better indicator.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:15 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,073,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The "writings"?!
Yeah...that is always known to count for a lot when it comes to what people really think/feel about something. NOT!!

I submit: That is a much better indicator.
They acted like true Christians and Deists. Allowing Atheists to live happily by separating the Priests from the Kings. Allowing all religions to be happy by preventing majority oppression of minority views. If religious signs are allowed in public places so should Atheists ones, but the religionists are too hateful and faithless to live with constant reminders that their pillars of sand are just false religions.

What the founders DID was write documents representing their official views, how they "acted" was owning slaves and being drunks, as well as exercising their unique freedoms, not barring others from theirs.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:17 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,719,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The "writings"?!

You mean an actions like writing laws creating a separation of church and state, I assume.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:43 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,513,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I wonder that they do in these atheist churches... What do they worship?

Atheist 'mega-churches' take root across US, world

LOS ANGELES (AP) — It looked like a typical Sunday morning at any mega-church. Several hundred people, including families with small children, packed in for more than an hour of rousing music, an inspirational talk and some quiet reflection. The only thing missing was God.

Nearly three dozen gatherings dubbed "atheist mega-churches" by supporters and detractors have sprung up around the U.S. and Australia — with more to come — after finding success in Great Britain earlier this year. The movement fueled by social media and spearheaded by two prominent British comedians is no joke.

Personally..I don't get it. I never felt that need for "community" that some people need. But...whatever. If these folk need to "find" a replacement for a community the felt they lost then....more power to them.

To be honest. At the end of the day I think that you will find that most atheist/strong agnostics won't be attending these "services". Really trying to group us together is much like herding cats. It very hard to find all that much in common interests among us.

I'll be interested to see if in5 years from now these get-togethers are still happening. Until then. I"ll be hiking on Sundays mornings.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:57 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,562,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
They acted like true Christians and Deists. Allowing Atheists to live happily by separating the Priests from the Kings. Allowing all religions to be happy by preventing majority oppression of minority views. If religious signs are allowed in public places so should Atheists ones, but the religionists are too hateful and faithless to live with constant reminders that their pillars of sand are just false religions.

What the founders DID was write documents representing their official views, how they "acted" was owning slaves and being drunks, as well as exercising their unique freedoms, not barring others from theirs.
Allowing? By what authority do you claim that they allow or deny anything?

What a bigoted statement. That would be exactly the same as an atheist claiming to allow you to practice or believe in your religion.

Very compassionate.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:23 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,613,072 times
Oh geez, how did this topic make it out of the atheist/agnostic forum onto the big stage here. lol You guys were busy whilst I was away. ha ha

First of all, this was started as a comedic skit, and grew out of a joke. I think the first one was funny, the movement to make this into something "real" is a sign of our times. It's the digital sixties. Extreme movements are all the rage. That said, they could have just joined a humanist group or the Red Cross.

Obviously people can do what they want but I don't agree personally with calling it a church. Church is a Christian thing, I think the first one was funny, entertaining like a show. Jesus Christ Super Star of 2000, but I think the rest is a waste of time and resources. Serious groups that are helping people in need could have used the occupants if atheists wanted to get social for a cause.

I'm a social person, I like to join groups that use social networking to aid others, come together and make change but showing disrespect to others with a "joke church" isn't really time worthy. IMO.

I of course blame the theists on this one - you tell some people they are a religion for long enough, they might become one. I'm going to have to change from an atheist to a believer of keeping the fantasy to yourselves. We all imagine whats out there, it's the judgement of others that I disagree with. Thinking all should believe what you do on any end isn't smart. I'm not about to follow the fantasies, regardless of what they are. I'm going to join, KYSP. (Keeping your sheet private)

Be careful what you ask for theists, it's about to come true. Yeehaah An atheist church with believers in nothing!

Old 11-16-2013, 12:31 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,893,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I guess they simply do not realize "church" means the body of Christ. These atheist 'churches' are simply a place for them to hang out. They might as well call it a gym, or library, although they don't go there to read books or to exercise.
Actually, 'church' is a form of the Old English cir(i)ce, cyr(i)ce, related to Dutch kerk and German Kirche, based on medieval Greek kurikon, from Greek kuriakon (dōma) ‘Lord's (house)’, from kurios ‘master or lord’.

The definitions to which I have immediate access indicate that 'church' didn't include Christianity until aboutr 300 CE, and even then, other Greek terms were more common and widely used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality