Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2019, 04:29 AM

3,061 posts, read 918,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Yup. And there are also some who tie anything supernatural to god or gods. Thus deny the supernatural of any kind
No Theist can deny the supernatural, without denying God. Or do you believe that God is not a Supernatural being?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 05:11 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,616,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
An extract from a book that I am in the process of writing, which I have posted before, but which you apparently have not read, so here it is again.

nipped for space

The more that I am forced to look at the flood accounts, the more I am convinced that some catastrophic event occurred 4,500 years ago, which caused worldwide devastating floods and tsunamis, of which the more accurate account of the flood that devastated the civilized world of that day, can be found in the Hebrew culture that came down from the Chaldean Abraham, and his family, whose language and racial religion have remained intact for over 4,000 years.
The words I argue is "world wide flood". There is no need to deny a catastrophic water event, at least in the region, happened. There is also no need to ignore the value of the lessen from the story either.

there is an issue in teaching that did happen based on blind faith. All or nothing is a problem in most cases.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
No Theist can deny the supernatural, without denying God. Or do you believe that God is not a Supernatural being?
there is no need to base any claim on "super natural". Unless we mean "not fully known yet.". It is ok to extrapolate about a belief one or two steps off of the curve, the curve of what we do know.

basing any claim off of what we don't know or understand can end in nonsensical claims like "deny everything a theist can use to make atheism harder to sell" or "My-god-only".

Old 12-26-2019, 05:29 AM

50,987 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
An extract from a book that I am in the process of writing, which I have posted before, but which you apparently have not read, so here it is again.

The people of the pre-flood days would not have known that the circumference of the earth was almost 25,000 miles, nor would they have known how many continents and islands there are on this earth. Their known world was limited to the civilised world of those days.

The animals that were taken into the ark, would have been those which were chosen from the animals that had been forced to flee from the rising waters to the higher ground, upon which Noah would have presumably built the ark, which animals would have only been those of his known world that was flooded around the year 2350 BC.

The Ark, which was a rectangular chest-like floating container built of Kopherwood, would of necessity, have to be sealed inside and out with bitumen to stop it from leaking, and Kopherwood is simply any wood that is coated with tar/bitumen. The Ark was subject to tides, currents and wind, having no means of propulsion or steerage, it was guided by the hand of the Lord.

Over 2,000 years before George Smith’s discovery of the deluge tablets in Iraq, there existed an account of the Chaldean [pre-Babylonian] flood myth. Berosus, an ancient Chaldean historian living in the time of Alexander the Great in the 4th century B.C.E, relayed to the Greeks the antiquity of his peoples deluge myth in the following words: “After the death of Ardates, his son Xisuthrus reigned eighteen sari. In his time happened a great deluge; the history of which is thus described.

The deity Cronos appeared to him in a vision, and warned him that upon the fifteenth day of the month Daesius there would be a flood, by which mankind be destroyed. He therefore enjoined him to write a history of the beginning, procedure, and conclusion of all things, and to bury it in the city of the sun at Sippara; and to build a vessel, and take with him into it his friends and relations; and to convey on board everything necessary to sustain life, together with all the different animals, [In the area of his known world] both birds and quadrupeds, and trust himself fearlessly to the deep.

Having asked the Deity whither he was to sail, he was answered, “To the Gods;†upon which he offered up a prayer for the good of mankind. He then obeyed the divine admonition and built a vessel five stadia in length, and two in breadth. Into this he put everything which he had prepared, and last of all conveyed into it his wife, his children and his friends. After the flood had been upon the earth, and was in time abated, Xisuthrus sent out birds from the vessel; which finding no food, nor any place whereupon they might rest their feet, returned to him again. After an interval of some days, he sent them forth a second time; and they now returned with their feet tinged with mud. He made a trial a third time with these birds; but they returned to him no more: from whence he judged that the surface of the earth had appeared above the waters.

He therefore made an opening in the vessel, and upon looking out found that it was stranded upon the side of some mountains; upon which he immediately quitted it with his wife, his children, and the pilot. Xisuhrus then paid his adoration to the earth: and having constructed an altar, offered sacrifices to the Gods.â€

It should be noted that the account of the deluge relayed in the tablets discovered by George Smith differ only very slightly from Berosus’ account, which differs only slightly from the story handed down by the Chaldean, Abraham, whose father ‘Terah’ was High Priest in the temple of the Chaldean city of Ur.

The flood of Noah didn’t come as a surprise. It had been preached on for four generations. Something strange happened when Enoch was 65, from which time “He walked with God.†Enoch was given a prophecy that as long as his firstborn son ‘Methuselah’ was alive, the judgement of the flood would be withheld, but as soon as he died, the flood would be sent forth.

Enoch named his firstborn to reflect this prophecy. The name Methuselah comes from two roots: muth, a root that means death, and from shalach, which means ‘To Bring’ or ‘To Send Forth.’ Thus, the name Methuselah signifies, ‘His Death Shall Bring.’ And, indeed, in the year that Methuselah died, the flood came.

Remembering that Abraham was the son of Terah the High priest of the temple in the Chaldean city of Ur, and he was, according to the erroneous Roman OT, 58 when Noah died, the question is now asked, could the Chaldean name ‘Arsates’ mean, ‘When he dies it will happen? And could the name ‘Xisuthrus’ have the same meaning as that of the name ‘Noah’, which is, “One who brings relief or comfort?â€

The Chaldean month of Daesius, is the 2nd month, which corresponds with the biblical account that it was in the second month that the flood came. But there is a two-day discrepancy: the biblical account is the 17th day, [See Genesis 7: 11.] whereas the other is the 15th day.

These three flood accounts are so similar it becomes obvious that they originated from the one source.

Another interesting similarity between the Chaldean deluge story and the one as handed down through the Hebrew, is that before the flood, people lived extraordinary long lives until the god/gods declared that man shall no longer live past a restricted age limit. This signifies that the floods of both cultures mark the same transition in the history of the world, that being, the birth of the modern world.

The more that I am forced to look at the flood accounts, the more I am convinced that some catastrophic event occurred 4,500 years ago, which caused worldwide devastating floods and tsunamis, of which the more accurate account of the flood that devastated the civilized world of that day, can be found in the Hebrew culture that came down from the Chaldean Abraham, and his family, whose language and racial religion have remained intact for over 4,000 years.

Are you an atheist, who believes that your mind will continue to live on, after your body of flesh, blood, bone, brain matter etc, has returned to the universal elements from which it was created, and if so, what makes you think that there is not a greater mind than yours in the afterlife, to whom you must subject yourself, or cease to exist?
I don't believe in the biblical account of the Great Flood. Period.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:01 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,405,743 times
Quote:
I was speaking about the athiests belief not miné

Old 12-26-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
there is no need to base any claim on "super natural". Unless we mean "not fully known yet.". It is ok to extrapolate about a belief one or two steps off of the curve, the curve of what we do know.

basing any claim off of what we don't know or understand can end in nonsensical claims like "deny everything a theist can use to make atheism harder to sell" or "My-god-only".
I agree in part. The not fully known yet... Smacks of materiallistic of the gaps.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't believe in the biblical account of the Great Flood. Period.
So you give no credance to historians who say noahs ark was found and ransacked for talismans. Which is what josephus says nickolus of demascus states was what happened in his day. Thus nickolus was an eye witness of this happening.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:17 AM

50,987 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
So you give no credance to historians who say noahs ark was found and ransacked for talismans. Which is what josephus says nickolus of demascus states was what happened in his day. Thus nickolus was an eye witness of this happening.
I thought this statement of mine was pretty definitive: "I don't believe in the biblical account of the Great Flood. Period".

Old 12-26-2019, 07:26 AM

1,096 posts, read 420,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

So in essence you have a belief science will solve everything? Would that be fair to say?

Old 12-26-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
So in essence you have a belief science will solve everything? Would that be fair to say?
I don't know if humans can solve everything. I only am only sure that when people need to ignore science in religion/spirituality discussion they are hiding something. They are not in this for the same reasons most of are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality