Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 04:44 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,063 times

Advertisements

A type of person who sees only the importance of the physical world. If everyday life is all-important, then it matters that your parking space was taken. And this, my friends, is why you should not be an atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 04:49 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
A type of person who sees only the importance of the physical world. If everyday life is all-important, then it matters that your parking space was taken. And this, my friends, is why you should not be an atheist.
That doesn't make any sense.

If a person has a finite amount of time to exist...why the heck would that person want to spend that time in a jail cell? He turned himself in for murder. He didn't steal money then run to South America with a bunch of ex-strippers.

Take your paranoid rantings back to your circle of buddies who probably believe the moon landing was faked

Old 02-11-2015, 05:03 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,063 times
Moon landing was fake. It happened before I was born.

Joke. C'mon ppl. While it is true that if you have a limited time on this Earth, petty grievances kinda are that much more annoying for wasting your time, but yea you don't take it out on people to rot in prison. ....That's kinda specific, Clintone.

Also, ummm on a serious note... Ad hominem is about the lowest form of logical reasoning. I don't have a circle of buddies anyway, and I'm not a fundamentalist in the first place. I'm a pantheist Christian, and don't care one way or another about this. It just strikes me as odd that people think "live in the moment" works only one way.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 02-11-2015 at 05:13 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 06:20 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Most of what you said is drawing conclusions between disparate points, and totally illogical and debunked many times. Repeating it doesn't make it so.

If you think atheism is a religion, what is the belief in? What is the mythology? What is the dogma?
I'm not saying it's a religion. I'm saying it's a religious ideology because it takes a stand: "There is no god. No gods. No angels. No ghosts. No spirits." Atheism actually takes a stand on religious matters. Their stance is that every religion is wrong. All of them are false.

The dogma? Nothing much is set. Most folks who self-define as atheists believe the world would be better off without religion. Again, that is taking a stand. Most believe that religion makes a mess in the world. Again, that is taking a stand.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I'm not saying it's a religion. I'm saying it's a religious ideology because it takes a stand: "There is no god. No gods. No angels. No ghosts. No spirits." Atheism actually takes a stand on religious matters. Their stance is that every religion is wrong. All of them are false.

The dogma? Nothing much is set. Most folks who self-define as atheists believe the world would be better off without religion. Again, that is taking a stand. Most believe that religion makes a mess in the world. Again, that is taking a stand.
I'll agree with that much of the time. I'm no expert on these things though.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke186 View Post
Is it against the Christian faith to blow up an abortion clinic?

Is it against the Christian faith to shoot an abortion doctor?

Is it against the Christian faith to blow up a federal building?

Those are just some of the reasons that people might think this was the work of a fundamentalist radicalized Christian.
- Yes, it's against the faith
- McVeigh stated he was agnostic
- The only people who prematurely thought/hoped this was the work of a Christian are the anti-Christian bigots who endlessly wait for for their conservative Christian boogeyman among all the reports of terrorists who never turn out to be

Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
No it doesn't. That's why I placed "What the heck type of person murders three relatives over a parking dispute?" at the beginning. It emphasizes the beastly nature of the shooter. It's very clear that I'm saying that I'd be perfectly fine with the shooter being charged with a hate crime whether he's guilty or not.
OK, glad I asked as I interpreted it differently.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
OK, glad I asked as I interpreted it differently.
I guess it's a good thing you asked for clarification so nobody thinks I was advocating murdering all Muslims. That would have been a very bad thing.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
I hadn't had the heart to post before because this makes me sick. It makes me feel even worse that my sympathy for these victims is being pushed aside by the bad publicity - this inevitably is going to be used against atheism. It's well observed that there are bad apples in every barrel and the violent will do violence, using what they believe -or don't - as justification, but I really hoped for better from an atheist.

Of course, innocent until proven guilty and all that rubbish..but if it is Guilty, I hope they throw the book at him.

Both Books.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:06 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Quote:
Killing of 3 in Chapel Hill stirs alarm among Muslims - The Washington Post

When I first started reading the story, my first thought was what Christian zealot did this.

When one reads a story, one finds out that the perpetrator did this not because of his Christian beliefs, but because of his atheist belief.

If this shows nothing else but that no matter what ones religious beliefs or non-beliefs are, there are outliers and crazies in all subsets of religious beliefs.

That this still not change the fact that most of these types of tragedies are done by zealots of primarly the Muslim and Christian faith. All it shows is that even atheists, who as a group consider themselves much more tolerant and moral than those that are guided by ancient myths, also have and adherents who killed because of their belief.
Ug, yes, I totally agree! I feel so horrible watching that and yes, owe an apology to those of faith. How scary that much feel, as I sympathize and wouldn't want anyone to feel afraid for what they believe or don't.
I do think that distorted individuals know no boundaries, as clearly shown by this horrendous act by this atheist.

Nobody escapes this, and I am in no position to claim this wasn't fueled by his hatred toward religion. I think it played a part and I think the parking space was obviously just an excuse. I feel for his wife, as she looked exhausted. And of course mostly for the poor victims family, which now will live in fear of atheists because of this jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality