Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 02:53 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Being harshly critical of religion is not immoral or illegal. Nor does it necessarily lead to murder or violence.

Cristero War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://chnm.gmu.edu/revolution/chap7c.html

League of Militant Atheists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 03:00 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,108 times
In other news: a white man with KKK paraphernalia, friendships with white supremacists and spends a bunch of time going on racist rants on social media murdered an African-American family. Sources insist it had nothing to do with the race of the victims, but was just a long standing dispute over parking...

Old 02-19-2015, 05:27 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
In other news: a white man with KKK paraphernalia, friendships with white supremacists and spends a bunch of time going on racist rants on social media murdered an African-American family. Sources insist it had nothing to do with the race of the victims, but was just a long standing dispute over parking...
Defending him makes me cringe. However:

"I hate Islam just as much as christianity, but they have the right to worship in this country just as much as any others do," the man now accused of killing three Muslim college students stated in one 2012 post over the proposed construction of a mosque near the World Trade Center site in New York.
» Atheist Craig Hicks hated religion, not Muslims » News -- GOPUSA

Personally, I've fantasized about doing physical harm to people because of their religion before. I can't understand anyone actually doing it, of course.

Also on his Facebook cover picture, he has said that he wants religion to go away because its baseless superstitions keeps killing people, but he also writes that he disagrees with the idea of banning religion: “Not that I care for religion, as I most definitely do not, but banning it would be taking away a persons rights and I oppose that.”
What does Chapel Hill killer Craig Hicks

He shared a story about Christians vandalising a billboard erected by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, commenting: “I don’t believe in Christianity at all, but I would never vandalize anything of theirs. Course neither would a Muslim, makes a person wonder which is more of a peaceful religion I believe!” The next day he posted a link to a news story about a suspicious fire that damaged construction equipment at the site of a future mosque in Tennessee. (2010)

He also disagreed with a quote from Elton John who said: “From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. The reality is that organized religion doesn’t seem to work. It turns people into hateful lemmings and it’s not really compassionate.” He wrote: “I don’t agree with the first part of Elton’s statement, with banning religion. Not that I care for religion, as I most definitely do not, but banning it would be taking away a persons rights and I oppose that.” (2012)

Last edited by Clintone; 02-19-2015 at 05:37 AM..

Old 02-19-2015, 08:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
I'm afraid I remain unimpressed. The Cristero war was rather a religious war against secularist states. The drawbacks of the French revolution and the Stalinists have already been noted.

I don't know wehetheer to idea is to make us recant atheism on the grounds that it leads to the collapse of civilization or to terrify others out of seriously considering our case with boogeyman scare -tactics.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:51 AM

18,498 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Are you seriously trying to equate lack of religious belief with racism?

This is the kind of stuff I expect from stereotypical Christian fundamentalists.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:17 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
When one reads a story, one finds out that the perpetrator did this not because of his Christian beliefs, but because of his atheist belief.
I was not aware that such a thing had been established at all and it was mere conjecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality