Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 05:37 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times

Advertisements

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/13..._r=0&referrer=

Chapel Hill suspect owned huge arsenal | US news | The Guardian

Chapel Hill Shooting: Social Media Provides a Glimpse of Alleged Killer - ABC News

Just some more articles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 11:31 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
I'm a little bit intrigued by this case as it'll be interesting to see what sort of precedent this sets for crimes like this in the future. I have no idea what this guy's motivations were for killing the three students. Maybe it had to do with their religion. Maybe it didn't. In no way do I condone what he did nor think there is anything even remotely justifiable to do such a thing - EVER. However, I find it interesting because the press is using his rants on Facebook as an insinuation that he did this out of hate.

If I got in an argument tomorrow with some guy over a parking spot and things got ugly (I don't carry a weapon but just hypothetically speaking if I did) and I ended up with the press reading off my City-Data posts, I'm sure they could say "this man was an atheist who hated religious people." The press is horrible about spinning stuff like this out of control. As the press sees it, these were brown people and they wore stuff on their heads - clearly a hate crime. And, oh, this guy said some things about religious people on Facebook. Correlation, causation. Boom. Guilty in the public's opinion.

But, I think there's a difference between someone sitting in his apartment, looking out the window and waiting for those "Muslims" to come home and park in his spot and... A guy whose a known hothead, who runs around the apartment complex screaming at people who park in his spot, and finally snaps one day - just like everyone expected him to.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:32 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Killing of 3 in Chapel Hill stirs alarm among Muslims - The Washington Post

When I first started reading the story, my first thought was what Christian zealot did this.

When one reads a story, one finds out that the perpetrator did this not because of his Christian beliefs, but because of his atheist belief.

If this shows nothing else but that no matter what ones religious beliefs or non-beliefs are, there are outliers and crazies in all subsets of religious beliefs.

That this still not change the fact that most of these types of tragedies are done by zealots of primarly the Muslim and Christian faith. All it shows is that even atheists, who as a group consider themselves much more tolerant and moral than those that are guided by ancient myths, also have and adherents who killed because of their belief.
Atheists, tolerant? LOL Tolerant of anything Anti Christian maybe.

If they ever gain any real power, then watch out, the country will be hell on Earth, it will be "off with their heads" time for anybody who doesn't think the way they do.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:34 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post

If they ever gain any real power, then watch out, the country will be hell on Earth, it will be "off with their heads" time for anybody who doesn't think the way they do.
Do you have trouble sleeping?

Old 02-17-2015, 11:56 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Do you have trouble sleeping?
Not at all. I sleep the usual 7-8 hours. Have a great life. What about you?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Not at all. I sleep the usual 7-8 hours. Have a great life. What about you?
I sleep well, thanks.

But then again, I don't worry about atheists running amok.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I sleep well, thanks.

But then again I don't worry about atheists running amok.
Well I can get where he coming from. I mean my kind (athiests) do have our strange quirks.

Btw people. what do you think? A1 sauce...ketchup....or bbq sauce for my baby burger? I'm leaning bbq.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:45 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
I want my baby-back baby-back baby-back ribs...

Baby! The other white meat!

Old 02-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I want my baby-back baby-back baby-back ribs...

Baby! The other white meat!
http://youtu.be/S42pu26WlBQ

Old 02-17-2015, 05:08 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:

Thank you. Using the Principle of projection, that convinces me we are quite right to do what we do as the bods you belong to would certainly do (if they ever got the power and authority) to us what they accuse us of wanting to do to them. It would become Hell on earth for anyone who didn't think as they did.

Muslims wouldn't even have the right to a parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality