Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:46 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I applaud you for posting this cupper. As a Christian, I have to accept the fact that some of my fellow Christians talk themselves into acts of murder. As this completely contradicts the teachings of one Jesus Christ, I think they cease being Christians in the process. Still, ultimately I have to own the fact that there are crazies in our midst. I have to own the fact that horrible atrocities have been committed by folks in the name of Christianity.

It is a mark of maturity for an atheist to own the fact that the same things are true within their religious demographic.

I would be curious to know some actual hard stats on that. These days, violently angry atheists seem to be on the increase.

There is a strong tendency to over-report Muslim on Christian and Christian on Muslim acts of violence. If a Christian leader burns a Koran and puts it on youtube, it's big news. If an angry atheist burns down the local Kingdom Hall, it isn't. But logically, the burning of an entire religious structure (and all Bibles inside that building) ought to be bigger news, right?

The mainstream media is very particular in what they consider news-worthy. Just because the mainstream media over-reports X does not mean that X is more commonplace than Y.
I agree that the mainstream media over-reports what it considers newsworthy...but I think atheists tend to be pretty stealthy compared to the religious groups. I don't think they've developed much of a culture yet...and oftentimes borrow traditions from other cultures. Then there's all the closeted atheists, and the atheists who don't call themselves atheists, and the atheists in jail who say "I been saved! I found the Lord! I'm a different person now...so my sentence should be shortened!"

Quite a number of atheists don't initially know what an atheist is. Instead they hear the definition and think Oh...that's me I guess.

There are probably a lot more of them out there than we know about, as well as more of them committing violent crimes than we know about (and a lot more being productive members of society than we know about). I'm hesitant to put believe statistical studies about atheists.

Last edited by Clintone; 02-11-2015 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Goes to show you that there are good people and bad people in every group.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:23 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I didn't see in the article where it said the shooter was an atheist, nor did I see anything other than speculation that the religion of the victims had anything to do with the dispute over parking.
This was the article linked in a different thread that I think does a better job of it. Like I said, there seems to be a lack of focus by the MSM on ideology when it's not Muslim on Christian or Christian on Muslim violence.
Craig Stephen Hicks arrested after 3 Muslim students shot dead in Chapel Hill | Daily Mail Online

Old 02-11-2015, 11:30 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

Atheist are not an organized group, and are no more, or less tolerant than any other person.
Actually, there are atheist conventions. They give speeches, have gatherings, etc. Famous atheists write books that are read by a lot of people. It's not a universal group...but there is plenty of organization among atheists.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:16 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
People kill people. Religions (or lack of) don't. End of story.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:38 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
People kill people. Religions (or lack of) don't. End of story.
I think religions give people instructions and those instructions or the mistranslations of them can affect people's behavior.

Atheism cannot affect people's behavior because it isn't really anything, so much as the lack of something else.

Therefore, the important question is whether or not a religion encourages people to do more good stuff than bad stuff. Religion should be the focus of attention.

That said, there are crazies everywhere.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:46 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
When one reads a story, one finds out that the perpetrator did this not because of his Christian beliefs, but because of his atheist belief.
No, one does not find that out. Not at this point anyway. Although if an unbeliever such as yourself jumps to this conclusion, I have no hope that theists everywhere will not do likewise.

Basically mental and emotional instability is an equal-opportunity affliction. My critique of theism is not that there are theists who are crazy, but that there aren't at least fewer theists that are crazy.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
According to the suspects wife, the shooting was over a long time dispute over a parking place. It seems that the people killed were neighbors.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:32 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Actually, there are atheist conventions. They give speeches, have gatherings, etc. Famous atheists write books that are read by a lot of people. It's not a universal group...but there is plenty of organization among atheists.
The organizations make up a statistically insignificant number of the non-religious. Pew Research says the non-religious are something near 20% of the population, meaning they number over 60 million people. American Atheists, the largest of those organizations, has something over 20,000 members. Adding up all the smaller organizations and you'll still find less (lots less) than 1 million people.

So, although there are small organizations here and there, the non-religious are essentially unorganized.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:05 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The organizations make up a statistically insignificant number of the non-religious. Pew Research says the non-religious are something near 20% of the population, meaning they number over 60 million people. American Atheists, the largest of those organizations, has something over 20,000 members. Adding up all the smaller organizations and you'll still find less (lots less) than 1 million people.

So, although there are small organizations here and there, the non-religious are essentially unorganized.
They are about as organized as the religious. There is no one organization that speaks for all of us. Interesting, huh? People are the same...religious or not....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality