Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:50 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Killing of 3 in Chapel Hill stirs alarm among Muslims - The Washington Post

When I first started reading the story, my first thought was what Christian zealot did this.

When one reads a story, one finds out that the perpetrator did this not because of his Christian beliefs, but because of his atheist belief.

If this shows nothing else but that no matter what ones religious beliefs or non-beliefs are, there are outliers and crazies in all subsets of religious beliefs.

That this still not change the fact that most of these types of tragedies are done by zealots of primarly the Muslim and Christian faith. All it shows is that even atheists, who as a group consider themselves much more tolerant and moral than those that are guided by ancient myths, also have and adherents who killed because of their belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 07:58 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
I agree, that's crazy. Killing people is never justified. What was this guy thinking??

Old 02-11-2015, 08:08 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
When one reads a story, one finds out that the perpetrator did this not because of his Christian beliefs, but because of his atheist belief.
The story did not say he killed them "because of his atheist belief".

It did mention a disagreement over a parking spot.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:17 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:

When I first started reading the story, my first thought was what Christian zealot did this.

If this shows nothing else but that no matter what ones religious beliefs or non-beliefs are, there are outliers and crazies in all subsets of religious beliefs.

That this still not change the fact that most of these types of tragedies are done by zealots of primarly the Muslim and Christian faith. All it shows is that even atheists, who as a group consider themselves much more tolerant and moral than those that are guided by ancient myths, also have and adherents who killed because of their belief.
There is nothing in the story revealing intent. What we know is three young people were shot in the head by this man.

Atheist are not an organized group, and are no more, or less tolerant than any other person.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:26 AM

72 posts, read 69,153 times
I guess militant atheism is back at work again, now in America!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 AM

72 posts, read 69,153 times
Quote:

Why would you think a Christian would do it when it is totally against the Christian faith?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:34 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

typical of parking spot zealots!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:35 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:

I applaud you for posting this cupper. As a Christian, I have to accept the fact that some of my fellow Christians talk themselves into acts of murder. As this completely contradicts the teachings of one Jesus Christ, I think they cease being Christians in the process. Still, ultimately I have to own the fact that there are crazies in our midst. I have to own the fact that horrible atrocities have been committed by folks in the name of Christianity.

It is a mark of maturity for an atheist to own the fact that the same things are true within their religious demographic.

Quote:
That this still not change the fact that most of these types of tragedies are done by zealots of primarily the Muslim and Christian faith. All it shows is that even atheists, who as a group consider themselves much more tolerant and moral than those that are guided by ancient myths, also have and adherents who killed because of their belief.
I would be curious to know some actual hard stats on that. These days, violently angry atheists seem to be on the increase.

There is a strong tendency to over-report Muslim on Christian and Christian on Muslim acts of violence. If a Christian leader burns a Koran and puts it on youtube, it's big news. If an angry atheist burns down the local Kingdom Hall, it isn't. But logically, the burning of an entire religious structure (and all Bibles inside that building) ought to be bigger news, right?

The mainstream media is very particular in what they consider news-worthy. Just because the mainstream media over-reports X does not mean that X is more commonplace than Y.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:39 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
I didn't see in the article where it said the shooter was an atheist, nor did I see anything other than speculation that the religion of the victims had anything to do with the dispute over parking.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

Actually it did, but it appears to be changed. There was no reference to parking spot disputes in the original article. The only thing that is left as far as atheism is concerned is this quote by the perpetrator:

“People say nothing can solve the Middle East problem, not mediation, not arms, not financial aid. I say there is something. Atheism.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality