Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 PM

141 posts, read 686,061 times

Advertisements

sometimes I think God created the universe as we know it, allowed for evolution to take place, and then man made god into something to fear or go to war over. God is a superior being beyond our ability to really understand. I believe people who believe in God are happier and if we die and nothing happens but we become dust, we have probably led better more productive lives. The people who believe in God and that only they know the true path and are going to heaven and if you don't believe as them you are dammed to hell, are leading terribly small lives that do not benefit mankind or leave the world better than they found it. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:33 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
I have a spirit, mine is based on logic, reason, and observation. I think a productive life is using the mind...not only for job performance.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:37 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Young man, I am not trying to convert anybody, nor did I ever make such a statement, that is not what I do, my purpose for this thread is to try to educate, as a shaman that is what I do, we are teachers. Once you have learned about the different religions and cultures of other people then you will learn to respect them for what they are and in this way we get a better understanding of each other and then maybe we can learn to live together in peace and understanding.
Well said!! Yes we disagree and have different beliefs, but that is no reason to be ugly with someone just because you don't believe the same things. You have much wisdom ptsum.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:39 PM

you can continue to respect or not respect whomever you like. You should not let this bother you. To be religious or not is a choice you make. If you are happy with your life and doing no harm to anyone or yourself, then you are probably an asset to mankind. Life is really too short to worry about such things. "Who created god"? Are you kidding, how could anyone ever know the answer if there is an answer. My son tells me weak people believe in God to feel better, ok thats one thought.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:45 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Things like this are just mumbo-jumbo that can't be explained with thoughts.
One of the major barriers to a discussion is that the believers do not use their minds to formulate their opinions, but merely repeat (like tape recorders) the bible verses they have memorized.
Religion is full of metaphors and various forms of figurative language which explain nothing. In this case, words like "reflections" and "glory".
i would disagree with that statement. some of the most inspirational scientists i have had the pleasure of learning about/from were also some of the most devout religious figures (from whatever creed they claimed) and were quite capable of rational, and yet humble, faithful thought.

to the subject: i believe that God created man. no if's and's or but's about it. He created us in His image, but that does not necessarily mean that we are the same sex, age, height, hair color, etc. it means that we are a 'type'.

God created us with instincts, one of which is to worship a being greater than ourselves. though the theories about the reasons for this instinct vary widely, most are in acceptance that there is some sort of innate need to venerate.

as a christian, i believe that God created that compulsion within us to cling to His truth, to give us a head start on the whole 'come down to earth and follow Me' deal. but i believe that this inclination has been clouded and confused in many respects as well. cultures tend to form their own gods and their own ways of worship when not directly led by an authorized servant of God, and even then, they have a hard time. just look at moses and the israelites...

that bings us to the here and now. today there are over 80,000 different christian faiths just in the usa alone (stats are from a few years ago, might be more now). that does not even include other kinds of religion. obviously there has been some confusion along the way.

but no matter the confusion, no matter the disagreements, that does not take away the fact that God created man from the first.

realize that this pronouncement is not meant in any way to start an argument on the post. it is not meant to be the be-all, end-all of the thread. it is just a position that was asked for.

everyone else is entitled to their own personal beliefs, which have *the same* merit as my own, not one whit less, and i enjoy learning the views and beliefs of others. aaron out.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlett mom View Post
sometimes I think God created the universe as we know it, allowed for evolution to take place, and then man made god into something to fear or go to war over. God is a superior being beyond our ability to really understand. I believe people who believe in God are happier and if we die and nothing happens but we become dust, we have probably led better more productive lives. The people who believe in God and that only they know the true path and are going to heaven and if you don't believe as them you are dammed to hell, are leading terribly small lives that do not benefit mankind or leave the world better than they found it. Just my two cents.
interesting concept, one that may cause one to think about something very seriously. And your two cents is always welcome here. Thank you

Old 01-24-2008, 08:55 PM

I grew up in a pentecostal church, I've had many years to think upon such things. A church of fear isn't really much of a church in my view. I cannot believe if there is a God (and I do believe there is), that he allowed for us to be here just to live in fear. We have a long way to go to reach our full potential. By the way I told my doubting son that if he was ever in an accident and saw a light and was asked "do you believe" to please say yes

Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i would disagree with that statement. some of the most inspirational scientists i have had the pleasure of learning about/from were also some of the most devout religious figures (from whatever creed they claimed) and were quite capable of rational, and yet humble, faithful thought.

to the subject: i believe that God created man. no if's and's or but's about it. He created us in His image, but that does not necessarily mean that we are the same sex, age, height, hair color, etc. it means that we are a 'type'.

God created us with instincts, one of which is to worship a being greater than ourselves. though the theories about the reasons for this instinct vary widely, most are in acceptance that there is some sort of innate need to venerate.

as a christian, i believe that God created that compulsion within us to cling to His truth, to give us a head start on the whole 'come down to earth and follow Me' deal. but i believe that this inclination has been clouded and confused in many respects as well. cultures tend to form their own gods and their own ways of worship when not directly led by an authorized servant of God, and even then, they have a hard time. just look at moses and the israelites...

that bings us to the here and now. today there are over 80,000 different christian faiths just in the usa alone (stats are from a few years ago, might be more now). that does not even include other kinds of religion. obviously there has been some confusion along the way.

but no matter the confusion, no matter the disagreements, that does not take away the fact that God created man from the first.

realize that this pronouncement is not meant in any way to start an argument on the post. it is not meant to be the be-all, end-all of the thread. it is just a position that was asked for.

everyone else is entitled to their own personal beliefs, which have *the same* merit as my own, not one whit less, and i enjoy learning the views and beliefs of others. aaron out.
I think that, because of metaphors, figurative language, and various other foggy concepts, religions generate confusion and claim it to be truth. Listen to any preacher, note the words they use, all confusion, words that can't be explained, concepts which can't be defined. "Got Jesus?" What's that mean, got Jesus by the hair, or what. "My cup runneth over" What cup? Runneth over with what, coffee? Tea? I have yet to hear a preacher (evangelist, whatever) who doesn't use foggy concepts. I think it would be hilarious to get 10 people who listened to the same sermon and have each one, in their own words, explain what the sermon was about.
Religion is based on assumptions which have no evidence, much less can they be explained or defended with the use of reason and logic. It can't be overlooked that those who claim to know the truth do not formulate their opinions from their thoughts, but rely wholly on bible quotes. In this regard the human mind becomes superfluous.
Man created god(s) and used foggy concepts to promote that idea. Some men discovered that they were admired by people and had power over them because of claims that a god exists. Surely, they enjoyed their positions of power and did (and said) whatever was necessary to keep the myth alive.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
And now we come to the second half of the statement. The first half was, God didn't create man,Man created god, second-half of statement, To explain the unexplained, the superstition.

So let's hear your thoughts and opinions on this, but please let's remember, be respectful of others opinions and thoughts.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I think that, because of metaphors, figurative language, and various other foggy concepts, religions generate confusion and claim it to be truth. Listen to any preacher, note the words they use, all confusion, words that can't be explained, concepts which can't be defined. "Got Jesus?" What's that mean, got Jesus by the hair, or what. "My cup runneth over" What cup? Runneth over with what, coffee? Tea? I have yet to hear a preacher (evangelist, whatever) who doesn't use foggy concepts. I think it would be hilarious to get 10 people who listened to the same sermon and have each one, in their own words, explain what the sermon was about.
Religion is based on assumptions which have no evidence, much less can they be explained or defended with the use of reason and logic. It can't be overlooked that those who claim to know the truth do not formulate their opinions from their thoughts, but rely wholly on bible quotes. In this regard the human mind becomes superfluous.
Man created god(s) and used foggy concepts to promote that idea. Some men discovered that they were admired by people and had power over them because of claims that a god exists. Surely, they enjoyed their positions of power and did (and said) whatever was necessary to keep the myth alive.
i disagree with you again here, but there is no point since you are going to continue to generalize and stereotype all believers into one large, blind, ignorant lump. surely there are ignorant ones out there, but in my experience, those are the few and far between. same goes with the athiests. most people have some form of a legitimate (as if we can tell someone else if their reasoning is legitimate or not) personal reason to believe in what they believe in, whether it is God, karma, science, or something else entirely.

i am sorry if you have had some bad experiences with organized religion. truly. whatever has caused that much rancor must have been powerful indeed.

for the rest of you out there who wonder why God, religion, and a creation belief are so prevalent in our societies, there is actually quite a bit of reasoning that contributes to His existence. again, i will note the colossal minds of our history, some of the best, brightest, and most *reasonable* people who have shaped our minds were believers, and thought very highly of the idea that man was created by God.

one cannot prove or disprove His existence, except to yourself in your own heart. there is a reason why it is that way. and though it does come down to heart, reason, intellect, eventually have to be part of the equation, for in knowledge of the truth are we freed. no man can be saved in ignorance. our brains were given us for a reason.

and my reasoning, my intellectual ponderings, have led me to faithfully believe that there is indeed a Creator of our world, and of men.

aaron out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality