Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:50 AM

16 posts, read 45,645 times

Advertisements

People push this 6,000 year old crap to back up the the Jewish authority in the world. Carbon dating has proven time and time again that we have been here longer than 6,000 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
OMG! People really believe the Earth is only 6,000 years old? I thought that was propaganda to make certain denominations look bad! It is so scary that people can deny what the very technology I'm using to type this message is supported by!

I'm incredulous and scared for America if these people ever get their way and influence our kids in schools. It will be the end of this country for sure!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:44 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I believe in a plain reading of the text.
For that to happen, then you need to read it in the original language it was written in. And also have a strong grounding in the cultural context of when it was written, i.e. the century, the time, the people, the culture, the traditions, the daily life, to even understand the metaphors and the lessons.

Because once it is translated into a different language, it is already skewed, distorted, and changed. When it is translated or reinterpreted many centuries later, and viewed through an entirely different cultural lens, it becomes even more changed.

Just like ancient Asian texts that talk about for instance a concubine, it only makes sense or has value when viewed through the culture at the time, today we have no cornerstone or reference point so we judge and misjudge it through a different cultural lens.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
For that to happen, then you need to read it in the original language it was written in. And also have a strong grounding in the cultural context of when it was written, i.e. the century, the time, the people, the culture, the traditions, the daily life, to even understand the metaphors and the lessons.

Because once it is translated into a different language, it is already skewed, distorted, and changed. When it is translated or reinterpreted many centuries later, and viewed through an entirely different cultural lens, it becomes even more changed.

Just like ancient Asian texts that talk about for instance a concubine, it only makes sense or has value when viewed through the culture at the time, today we have no cornerstone or reference point so we judge and misjudge it through a different cultural lens.
So, you don't understand what a concubine is?

No, you don't need to read it in the original language.

The good thing about the bible is that the translators understood the language it was coming from and the language is was going into. I have read some of the Bible in Hebrew and it says the same thing as the English translations.

If there are any variations it has gone though tons of scrutiny. Remember the Bible is our holy book.

Also there were some phases that used to be used that have be translated to match the contemporary speaking of the time. For example it says that "Joseph raised his son upon his lap." To the western mind it seems confusing to have a child upon your lap the entire time you are raising it. In latter translations it says something like "and Joseph raise his son". Most of what you will find though is that with a little thinking the wording of the text can be clarified. But, we also have many sources to use to look at the text, like concordences, Ancient maps, Contemporary writtings on the books of the bible to just name a few.

Even through all this though, there are some people we will take the text of the bible and twist it to fit their perticular doctrine. This is wrong. The text verifies itself. So, the text cannot be taken out of context and often comparing the different books of the bible can help to clarify doctrine.

Finally, it is through the holy spirit that the truth of the Bible is truely revealed. Jesus said, "I go, but I send the comfortor who will teach you all things." The comforter has come. He came at pentecost and still dwells among us today. It is through the guidence of the Holy Spirit that all things are brought to our remembrance and the truth revealed in the word of God.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:05 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post
OMG! People really believe the Earth is only 6,000 years old? I thought that was propaganda to make certain denominations look bad! It is so scary that people can deny what the very technology I'm using to type this message is supported by!

I'm incredulous and scared for America if these people ever get their way and influence our kids in schools. It will be the end of this country for sure!
What machine are you typing on? And if you are typing on something more than 6000 year old, it is time you get an upgrade. Thank God he alowed inteligent men to create computers.

Lets see, intelligent God creates man who is intelligent. These intelligent men create computers. Sounds like some kind of intelligent design in all of that. Your message seems to support ID instead of millions of years "goo to you" thinking.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Quote:
What machine are you typing on? And if you are typing on something more than 6000 year old, it is time you get an upgrade. Thank God he alowed inteligent men to create computers.

Lets see, intelligent God creates man who is intelligent. These intelligent men create computers. Sounds like some kind of intelligent design in all of that. Your message seems to support ID instead of millions of years "goo to you" thinking.
Wow..ummm...wow. I'm not scared anymore, simply terrified

Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
The good thing about the bible is that the translators understood the language it was coming from and the language is was going into.

Finally, it is through the holy spirit that the truth of the Bible is truely revealed. It is through the guidence of the Holy Spirit that all things are brought to our remembrance and the truth revealed in the word of God.
I don't trust the humans that translate the bible, because they are fallible humans that have their own political, social, cultural, and gender agenda; and the church and organized religion is also a political institution with its own power agenda.

What I do trust is the word of God as it is revealed directly to me as you say through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, which is the indwelling Christ. So I have to absolutely agree with you that the truth is revealed and available to us directly and individually.

I just don't need an intermediary or a bunch of old white males telling me what God "really means" to me, I believe the Creator wants each of us to have our own direct personal living relationship. That I trust 1000%

Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 PM

265 posts, read 615,547 times
hmmmm, the bible says that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day.

check it out yourself: 2Peter 3:8

so when it comes to estimating how old the earth is according to the bible, God's mail to man, then from God's perspective the earth is a day old, which is no different to him than zillions of years old.

now for us since God made the animals and vegetation before he made man we had better go and ask the lions, tigers, and bears first.

tee-hee-hee

Old 02-11-2008, 05:13 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post
hmmmm, the bible says that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day.

check it out yourself: 2Peter 3:8

so when it comes to estimating how old the earth is according to the bible, God's mail to man, then from God's perspective the earth is a day old, which is no different to him than zillions of years old.

now for us since God made the animals and vegetation before he made man we had better go and ask the lions, tigers, and bears first.

tee-hee-hee

Could you explain that creation process a little more in detail? In other words, could you explain the scientific process in which animals and plants 'arrived' here on Earth via God?? Was it just random appearance? Did they just *poof* up? I'm very interested in this particular part. I assume we have evidence to claim how it was done? Can we reference something outside of the Bible to make this claim??

Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
crystal-sea wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for repeating that memorable phase from the Wizard of Oz! Tee hee hee. Moderator cut: removed questionable remarks Could you elaborate on your comments? I promise I won't be rude. I just want to know what you're actually thinking. If plants give off oxygen and animals give off carbon dioxide how did this process actually come about? Is it possible that it was the result of natural processes or did God just set it in place?

Last edited by Alpha8207; 02-12-2008 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality