Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 09:06 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post

I think you missed my point. I don't care if it religious or non religious in nature. I don't want to be preached to. In case you missed the myriad of posts from earlier in the thread, not allowing Bibles in state run lodgings is not a violation of your "free exercise" of religion.

Anyone who wants to, any manager of a "state run lodging," is FREE to decline to accept gift editions of "Gideon Bibles" …

There is NO public funding and there is NO legislation requiring or even suggesting or encouraging any such practice … It is simply harmless custom that reflect American culture …

Further, there is NO ONE requiring that you submit to be "preached to" ….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 09:06 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
That is the de facto position of the zealous missionary "New Atheists," i.e., that "Freedom of Religion" also means "Freedom FROM Religion" … such that people of faith should just stay home ...
You and your cohorts really need to learn the difference between keeping religion out of the government, and "everybody should just stay home". No one, at least on this site, is saying that you can't practice your religion outside of your home or church. Not even the "New Atheists". It baffles me how you guys can't seem to grasp this very simple thing.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:

You and your cohorts really need to learn the difference between keeping religion out of the government, and "everybody should just stay home". No one, at least on this site, is saying that you can't practice your religion outside of your home or church. Not even the "New Atheists". It baffles me how you guys can't seem to grasp this very simple thing.
The "public square" includes many public institutions … I don't see how "Gideon Bibles" in motel rooms can be so dangerous to religious liberty ..

Old 12-03-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Anyone who wants to, any manager of a "state run lodging," is FREE to decline to accept gift editions of "Gideon Bibles" …

There is NO public funding and there is NO legislation requiring or even suggesting or encouraging any such practice … It is simply harmless custom that reflect American culture …

Further, there is NO ONE requiring that you submit to be "preached to" ….
Yes, they are free to do so, but keeping the Bible in the rooms is an endorsement of that religion.

Indeed the public is funding the Bibles to be placed. We have already established this many pages ago. How else would they get in each room, or be replaced when stolen or damaged?

I will ask you the same question I have asked Jeff, which he refuses to answer. If it is harmless to have them in the room, isn't it harmless NOT to have them in the room? You can't have it both ways. What is the harm in them NOT being in the rooms?

No one is "requiring" me to be preached to.... Okay, I wasn't aware that I said they were... You again missed the entire point.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
The "public square" includes many public institutions … I don't see how "Gideon Bibles" in motel rooms can be so dangerous to religious liberty ..
No one is saying they are dangerous. The people on this thread have made it pretty clear what we mean by "public square". We are talking about government entities, and places run with taxpayer dollars. Believe it or not, Christians are not the only people in this country. There should be no taxpayer money spent on endorsing a certain religion. There should be no religion being endorsed in government buildings, or building run by the government, as this would also show endorsement (even if whatever item it is was donated privately).

I don't expect you to understand, as you have made it clear what your position is, and made it clear you only respect your religion, and have no respect for atheists or others.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Yes, they are free to do so, but keeping the Bible in the rooms is an endorsement of that religion.

Indeed the public is funding the Bibles to be placed. We have already established this many pages ago. How else would they get in each room, or be replaced when stolen or damaged?

I will ask you the same question I have asked Jeff, which he refuses to answer. If it is harmless to have them in the room, isn't it harmless NOT to have them in the room? You can't have it both ways. What is the harm in them NOT being in the rooms?
No … Accepting placement of Gideon Bibles in motel rooms is not an "endorsement" of the Church … It is an acceptance of the cultural fact that Americans are a majority religious people and that the Church is the majority faith in America …

Its a longstanding cultural fact ...

Old 12-03-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
No … Accepting placement of Gideon Bibles in motel rooms is not an "endorsement" of the Church … It is an acceptance of the cultural fact that Americans are a majority religious people and that the Church is the majority faith in America …

Its a longstanding cultural fact ...
So what? You may be the majority, but you aren't the only. This is the problem you guys have. You are unable to see anything from outside your own bubble. You don't give a rat's butt about people with differing beliefs. Placing Bibles, and only Bibles, is most certainly an endorsement.

I like how you and Jeff both ignore that question, too.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:23 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
So what? You may be the majority, but you aren't the only. This is the problem you guys have. You are unable to see anything from outside your own bubble. You don't give a rat's butt about people with differing beliefs. Placing Bibles, and only Bibles, is most certainly an endorsement.

I like how you and Jeff both ignore that question, too.
Something tells me that you would have no problem if the state run hotel had a flyer advertising an atheist convention in the drawer.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Something tells me that you would have no problem if the state run hotel had a flyer advertising an atheist convention in the drawer.
Shows that you don't know much about me. A state run hotel shouldn't have anything religious related, or specifically against religion. If they want to have ads for businesses or something, then okay. Keep the rest out.

They could just do one small thing to alleviate most of it though, at least as far as flyers go. Have a spot somewhere, maybe in the lobby, where people could put flyers for various things. Let anyone (within reason of course) put their flyers there for anyone interested. You could put you church flyers, and they could put their atheist flyers...

Old 12-03-2015, 09:36 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
That would be an interesting legal case. I'm assuming that the courts would probably say no, since the government is not supposed to "take a position" on religious issues.

I'd be ok if the courts ruled against atheist material, since I don't really want the government getting involved with religious issues unless a religion causes direct harm to individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality